Holy **** St. Kevin's 1965

Diceman just played the St. Kevin's 1965 show. Who says that today's hornlines are so much better than yesteryears? Someone who was around then please tell us a bit about these guys. Their skill level seems to be up there with the 1966 Skyliners...was there a connection? I only know corps of that era from recordings....WOW!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diceman just played the St. Kevin's 1965 show. Who says that today's hornlines are so much better than yesteryears? Someone who was around then please tell us a bit about these guys. Their skill level seems to be up there with the 1966 Skyliners...was there a connection? I only know corps of that era from recordings....WOW!

If you liked their 65 show, try listening to their 64 rep ... their best year IMO ... no connection between Sky and St. Kevin's except in entertainment value and fan apprectation ... the fullness and excitement of what both corps attempted musically was the key ...

Andy

If you liked their 65 show, try listening to their 64 rep ... their best year IMO ... no connection between Sky and St. Kevin's except in entertainment value and fan apprectation ... the fullness and excitement of what both corps attempted musically was the key ...

Andy

"1964 St Kevins":

Andy "Listening to Bergdoll's Hornline" Lisko has pretty well nailed it. One of the GREAT brass sections of the 1960s.

Elphaba

"1964 St Kevins":

Andy "Listening to Bergdoll's Hornline" Lisko has pretty well nailed it. One of the GREAT brass sections of the 1960s.

Elphaba

I always love to harp on the 63 and 64 Dream. Kevin's won that 64 contest. Don't think Sky was in the 64 show, but you can believe this. Whenever Sky played the Dream, the structure of Ol Roosevelt was never the same, and when Kevin's graced that field, the crowd was treated to perhaps the best example of "Hair On Yer Back Raisin" they ever had.

Both corps easily won over the crowd. Especially in 63 when Barbara Bergdoll conducted that South Rampart Street Parade concert for Kevin's. One of the best moments in drum corp history. The crowd exploded into little bits and pieces after that one.

Edited by gsksun4

St Kevin's 1964 had 4 of the very best horn players in drum corps at the time. Ed Hayward, Bob Gaff, Buzzy Bergdohl ( all in the Buglers Hall Of Fame ) and Billy Malone. Frank Bergdohl wrote some fantastic charts. The ending to Stars and Stripes at the 1964 Dream still brings goose bumps.

Ed told me at the 1963 Dream he over heard Blessed Sacrament's Drum Major Al LaRocca adress his corps with these words........." Remember, we didn't come here to beat them, they ( St Kevin's ) came here to beat us!

And they did just that.

For the record, Kevins came in 3rd at the '63 Dream. Also, in 64 as I recall, the caption that put Kevins over us (yeah I marched in BS) was a sub caption in drumming, surprisingly it wasn't in brass. Go figure.

Yes they did come in third in 63. Garfield bested them. I got the 64 win and the "WITH VIGOR" statement mixed up. I think the announcer said "WITH VIGOR" in 63 as a reference to Kennedy.

By the way, thanks for the true history on that. Either way, Kevin's and SAC were always worth the price of the ticket during those days. I think if you lived and competed in the NY/Jersey area most of the time, it was refreshing to see an outsider like Kevin's tear it up, win or lose. We didn't see corps like BAC and Kevin's and St. Mary's Cardinals often enough.

Edited by gsksun4

Yes they did come in third in 63. Garfield bested them. I got the 64 win and the "WITH VIGOR" statement mixed up. I think the announcer said "WITH VIGOR" in 63 as a reference to Kennedy.

By the way, thanks for the true history on that. Either way, Kevin's and SAC were always worth the price of the ticket during those days. I think if you lived and competed in the NY/Jersey area most of the time, it was refreshing to see an outsider like Kevin's tear it up, win or lose. We didn't see corps like BAC and Kevin's and St. Mary's Cardinals often enough.

By any chance, are you Jim Powers?

Tim Campbell