Holy **** St. Kevin's 1965

I can't take all the credit Elphie ... I just pulled the major scores off of CORPSREPS.COM and sprinkled in a few more from my personal archives ...

Interestingly, they show that St. Kevin's was always able to maintain a scoring margin over St. Catherine's, Loretto, Selden through 62 ... I can't find evidence of them ever beating Kevin's ...

:-)

"Kevin's vs Cathy's":

St Catherine's never managed to beat the Emerald Knights. They "May" have been the only "Biggie" that they could not defeat at that place and time. I remember some of their upsets against the "Big Boys" in 1961, beating Garfield and tying Blessed Sacrament at seasons end.

Possibly THE upset was their win at the Masque Theatre in early 1962, beating all the Jersey giants. They were actually the first drum corps to perform at the Carnagie Hall concert that year, following St Kevin's horn quartet who provided the "Heralds" to back Dick Blakes welcomming spiel.

Great memories.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the original poster. Thanks for the information...your comments bring the corps alive.

I have a follow up question. As a youngster I got to listen to the Brass By Night album with St. Catherine's Queensmen, Our Lady or Loretto Knights, etc. I still remember the cracks and pops on the LP.

Also something to remember about that recording, no contra bases and no mellophones. And all the horses played.

Also something to remember about that recording, no contra bases and no mellophones. And all the horses played.

And what horses they were! Joe DeFiglia, Timmy Rennie, Mario, Sol Antthony from Loretto - the Sasso bros, Eddie Lawrence, Paul Humphries, Billy Hightower from St. Catherine's - Frank Buscemi, Ruben Jackson, Billy Kirk, Felton Owens and a slew of others from Selden.

Andy "I though the record scratches and pops were part of the show" Lisko

So what was the horn breakdown then? Sops, and (bass) Baris I can guess but what about middle voices?

So what was the horn breakdown then? Sops, and (bass) Baris I can guess but what about middle voices?

Middle voices = French Horns and in the 50's there were tenor bugles.

Yep.....and the small bell baritones used to play the upper register stuff........those were dudes with brass hummina's

J

Middle voices = French Horns and in the 50's there were tenor bugles.

Heh. When I was a pup, my corps got 1 bass baritone. It was all the rage. How you gonna carry that beast they would say.

By the way, Brass By Night for Selden was recorded at a practice in a parking lot about 25 feet from a major road called Jericho Turnpike. Can you hear any traffic on that record?????

Thanks guys, have a bunch of 50s/60s Senior recordings and never quite sure what is playing the mid-voice stuff. :blink: Hades, even bought some one valve Baris (2 tenor, 1 bass) so I could hear what they sound like.

One of these days I'll get to hear a Tenor bugle (not Tenor Bari) so I'll know how they sound. Missed the Three Tenors at DCI I&E but still hoping.

Thanks guys, have a bunch of 50s/60s Senior recordings and never quite sure what is playing the mid-voice stuff. :blink: Hades, even bought some one valve Baris (2 tenor, 1 bass) so I could hear what they sound like.

One of these days I'll get to hear a Tenor bugle (not Tenor Bari) so I'll know how they sound. Missed the Three Tenors at DCI I&E but still hoping.

Every so often I see a tenor bugle on Ebay, at an antuque store or in an Applebee's or the like restaurant. They's make a nice lamp!

BTW Hi Jim C!

Edited by Fossil50

Every so often I see a tenor bugle on Ebay, at an antuque store or in an Applebee's or the like restaurant. They's make a nice lamp!

BTW Hi Jim!

Now that you mention it, we must hang out in the same places... :P

Antique place in Hanover (place no longer there)

Cracker Barrel in Washington (Pittsburgh), PA

Applebees in Rochester, NY (over DCA weekend yet)

all had bugles that looked like a Tenor.

PS - It is Cracker Barrels policy NOT to sell the stuff on the walls. I asked, much to my wifes' chagrin.. :whistle:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari