Holy **** St. Kevin's 1965

It's true about the role of the military draft...............somewhat.

At the urging of a drummer friend with whom I worked part time after school at Planter's Peanuts, I attended the "Starlight Drum Fiesta" contest hosted by St. Brendan's Cadets in Clifton NJ Stadium (home of the Grand Prix) in 1962. Our Lady of Lorreto won. I loved that sound and soon joined Fairlawn (NJ) Police Cadets 1963 (one contest...Ridgewood NJ....last place......folded........later merged with Dumont Police Cadets without me).

In 1966 while in college, along with group of friends, sponsored "Brass by Night" (no relation to the Fleetwood album, but that's where we picked the contest name) junior contest at Hinchliffe Stadium, Paterson (lost our shirts!)

Joined Doremus Sr in 1966..... good parade corps......we organized for field for 1967...... held first outdoor practice Sunday........got draft notice Monday. (Caught hell in basic training on "rear march" by adding mark-time-2 automatically)

Haven't marched a step since..... still die hard corps fan, particularly first love Cabs.

Tried getting back into....... became instructor for Paterson Crusaders indoor color guard.....one year......corps folded

Waited almost 20 years (didn't want to put a curse on anyone else)........ became volunteer webmaster for Garden State Circuit (lots of work on a nice website)..... then had my dream come true.... hosted GSC opening show at my school (Passaic County Tech, Wayne NJ) in June, 2002 ....EVERY corps in the circuit competed including two division IV corps and exhibition by Jersey Surf and Bushwackers ..(circuit folded at end of season).

I wanted to get back in some day and probably will.

Who wants to fold next? Maybe I should march with The Taliban Cadets????

Thanks a lot, Uncle Sam

(Made a lot of drum corps friends through RAMD..... Bklyn Mario....fellow teacher who I still have not met.)

Joe Dziezawiec

Paterson, NJ

US Army (Retired)

Teacher (Retired

Fairlawn 1963 (folded)

Doremus 1964 (folded)

Paterson Crusaders Instructor (folded)

Garden State Circuit Webmaster (folded)

Paterson Envelopes, Inc.........folder (j/k)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you may have folded a few organizations, but I won't let you fold this thread. :thumbup:

Bump!