07 Hornlines

If someone is seriously going to even think about judging someone's playing ability/a hornline's quality off of how they play during AtB....that is probably one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard.

I dont know...I always thought you were supposed to learn your music, regardless of whether you liked it or not. I know some groups subscribe to the '16va' philosophy for every note, but I played bari, so I didnt hear that too much myself.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know...I always thought you were supposed to learn your music, regardless of whether you liked it or not. I know some groups subscribe to the '16va' philosophy for every note, but I played bari, so I didnt hear that too much myself.

A piece of music that a hornline rarely works on together and performs at MOST 2-3 times a week is not really a good gauge of a line's ability level...

Most hornlines also haven't played for an hour + when they play AtB and haven't warmed up since they last played. So it's hard to expect them to sound their absolute best when they're playing it.

Is sight reading a good way to measure a hornline's ability?

If they can read well, then yes. If they can't, then no.

Yes if they can because if they can sight read well, then that means they understand dynamics and articulations very quickly.

No if they can't because just because someone can't sight read well, doesn't mean they can't learn something. Some people take more time.

Is sight reading a good way to measure a hornline's ability?

I'd say no. You never practice sight-reading in an ensemble setting in corps. You get the music, play it through, memorize it, and then begin to work on having a great sound throughout the hornline. I don't think just sitting down in a drum corps and playing a piece of music well the first time through is really a needed characteristic in a group that is going to play less than 10minutes of music all year.

A piece of music that a hornline rarely works on together and performs at MOST 2-3 times a week is not really a good gauge of a line's ability level...

My hornline hardly ever worked on it either. It didnt mean that I would be proud of sounding terrible on it.

My hornline hardly ever worked on it either. It didnt mean that I would be proud of sounding terrible on it.

I didn't read anyone saying they were proud to sound terrible....

Though it does seem like some people have that attitude towards it. Personally, I did my best at it, I just have a hard time learning music without playing it with the ensemble... So as much as I looked at the music, I only got better at it when we actually played it at the show.

Edited by DKracing

I'd say no. You never practice sight-reading in an ensemble setting in corps. You get the music, play it through, memorize it, and then begin to work on having a great sound throughout the hornline. I don't think just sitting down in a drum corps and playing a piece of music well the first time through is really a needed characteristic in a group that is going to play less than 10minutes of music all year.

Sorry you only played 10 minutes of music all year :)

Some other groups play quite a bit more... even reaching into the hour arena

Sight-reading..... We are supposed to be professional music organizations, so...........