07 Hornlines

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sight-reading..... We are supposed to be professional music organizations, so...........

professional? false.

also, plenty of people arent in phi mu alpha and simply really dont care that much.

This was an incredible year for hornlines indeed.

I think that the Cadets had the biggest loudest hornline overall (I will pay $100 to anyone who can get me a high quality August recording of their whole show without the voice--better yet, that would be a good fundraising idea for the YEA crew....), though i don't think that there has ever been a year where the quality has been so high and the performances so great in so many corps.

I am still blown away that Bluecoats placed where they did....but out of those that placed ahead of them, could you honestly say who deserved to place below them--or vice versa had Crown finished in their place? Tough year to be a judge.

I am blown away at the productions that are coming to the field every year, and the hornlines are no exception at all.

Thanks to everyone for a killer season.

Edited by cwillpayne

First of all, I never sound terrible on anything. We are taught to approach our horns the same way every time, and that is what I do. It is not possible to spend a great deal of time working on AtB as an individual with plenty of things on my plate during tour

Sorry you only played 10 minutes of music all year :)

Some other groups play quite a bit more... even reaching into the hour arena

Sight-reading..... We are supposed to be professional music organizations, so...........

Who played an hour's worth of music?

Professionals get paid...

I was speaking of sight-reading as an ensemble, not an individual. One person may be able to play through a piece the first time seeing it, but what about things like blend and balance that are quite different in a corps setting from the wind ensemble setting that most of us have learned to sight-read in. It's just a different environment...

I didn't read anyone saying they were proud to sound terrible....

Though it does seem like some people have that attitude towards it. Personally, I did my best at it, I just have a hard time learning music without playing it with the ensemble... So as much as I looked at the music, I only got better at it when we actually played it at the show.

Thats what i see/hear. Its one thing to not be great at it - its another to not at least take the time to memorize the notes and rhythms. Every corps I ever played with, except for the cavies (never did it with bd and several others), crapped all over the encore piece. Most of you are right, learning a piece of music like that is not going to take precedence over the show, especially in the early season, so you pretty much have to do it on your own. As much as I hating taking work onto the bus after a 12 hour rehearsal day, thats just how things got done sometimes....

Who played an hour's worth of music?

A lot of groups have very large books in addition to the show music - Regiment and Madison traditionally have at least two additional pieces that you are expected to keep up. Most corps have at least a representative corps song, and one other tune.

Recently, Regiment has been adding even more to the work load - in addition to the Elsa's, they've been playing at least two other selections.

top 3 has got to be: Crown, Bluecoats, Blue Devils in order

honorable mention: the cadets

A lot of groups have very large books in addition to the show music - Regiment and Madison traditionally have at least two additional pieces that you are expected to keep up. Most corps have at least a representative corps song, and one other tune.

Recently, Regiment has been adding even more to the work load - in addition to the Elsa's, they've been playing at least two other selections.

By the way, we did learn a bunch of extra music for the summer, Free, Since I Fell For You, and Music of the Night/Happy Days are Here Again... Just making sure jambando isn't misrepresenting with his comment... Most years we also learn one or two more tunes as well, such as Autumn. That's where all the extra music on the same year cds comes from :)

Edited by DKracing