How Southwind came to be yellow and in Kentucky

Thanks, Pat, for the history lesson. A fascinating read.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southwind is a class act organization. The first time I remember seeing Southwind was in 1992 at the Preview of Champions in Nashville. What an outstanding show. If you haven't seen it, I recommend finding it. 2005 is also another favorite of mine. I watched that show live several times that year and for whatever reason, it is one of my Top-10 favorite designed shows of all time. It just has everything for me.

Last spring, I got a call from Mike Loeffleholz. He was looking for a place for the corps to stay during all-days--but that is a different long story. I was, of course, delighted to help the corps in any manner I could. The problem was, we weren't sure of the logistics. I was able to, with the backing of our superintendent, have football camp altered (and in some cases, dates changed) so that Southwind could have access to everything we had. This might be the first time I have ever seen a "band" trump the football team, but I digress. You must understand, this is a very rural area and folks are really not used to seeing this, so they were excited about the possiblity of having Southwind come to our community.

The members were fantastic. I was genuinely impressed with Mike's ability to do the things he was doing while being in and out of Lexington as much as he had to be. Although I had heard of Steve Vento, I had never had the chance to meet him and upon doing so, found him to be an A1 professional by comparison to other great staff members I have had the pleasure of knowing in my drum corps life. Adrian was extremely cordial, knowledgeable, and giving. I found that staff doing more than many corps staffs I have seen--not because others couldn't but because they wanted the best product on the field for the members.

The members of the corps were fantastic. They were completely respectful of the rural nature of the community. The facility they were staying in was just over a year old and when they left, looked to be in better shape than it did when they arrived. I am sure that a great deal of this building etiquette and respect was due to the fantastic leadership abilities espoused by Kelsey Hippen, drum major, and the rest of the corps members.

It is never an easy time when a corps decides to take some time off to rebuild. I have seen it happen to many corps, but I never thought it would happen to one I cared about so much. Reading Pat's first post, I have to agree; this corps will be back.

Southwind, I am very proud of you.

Now, come back in '09 and show us great drum corps again!

Elmo Blatch

Edited by Elmo Blatch

THANK YOU PAT!

Wow, what a great story. I was lucky enough to be part of the Red and Black Southwind Family back in 1991. What a great time. Dave Bryan gave everything for our corps. Your post reminds me how much he cared about us. Ha! I still remember him spooning out Robotussin to a quarter of the horn line one morning after we all came down with a nasty cold during tour (I was one of them). I also remember him standing on a hill that overlooked our practice field every night while we did our run-throughs. It was like he was watching over his sheep. Southwind will return.

Go Big Dave. Bo-Be-Ba-Ba-BO-BO!

Thanks Pat - a good history lesson (at least 12 oz. worth).

Lets hope that SW will be able to come back strong in 2009.

I've heard so many rumors concerning Scouts/Cap Reg./SW (all much more convoluted than your recap of events) and its nice to hear

that as usual in drum corps it was a bunch of people just trying to do their best for the kids and the organization.

On a side note, lets hope you'll be back in the drum corps world again soon.

I realize the new gig probably pays a living wage and is a tad bit less stressful than being a corps director

but the drum corps world is a better place with people like you in it.

Edited by bass5

Thank you for the kind words, Pat. Hopefully, the corps will be back.

One can only hope.

As far as this saddened alumn goes.....well...I hope that all alumni step up for the corps.

Thank you for the kind words, Pat. Hopefully, the corps will be back.

One can only hope.

As far as this saddened alumn goes.....well...I hope that all alumni step up for the corps.

Bill my man, you know we're all family. Family doesn't forget about where they came from. We'll make it.