Pioneer goes Bb

Some of which is true, the horns being old and beaten. But, being the only Div. 1 corps with the sonority offerd by bugles versus matched band instruments played by 20 year olds is part of the concern. Hopefully, the new equipment will entice some more mature performers as well. That is yet to be seen, but there is at least now some hope along those lines.

I am sure that the kids that were Pioneers of the past few years will be excited to take a new horn out of the bag. I am looking forward to THAT sound coming from Pio's brass line this year. So now at least, there can be some new energy even from the current members.

Donny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And with the new horns look also for improvement in show design and hopefully a bigger corps with most hornline vets returning. The winter brass program will be more extensive and comprehensive in pedagogy.

Staff and show announcements will be coming soon. I really hope that Pioneer takes a huge leap this year that could lead to a higher placement. While the placement is not the end all, be all...it does help to maintain and retain students. The administration at Pioneer does realize this fact.

Donny

It's not that I dislike Irish music, or that they do a poor job with it, I just feel like they've depleted the stock.

Great move Pioneer!

I have a lot of respect for this organization. Over the past two years I've met several of their members and volunteers and they all speak highly of their corps. They're a great bunch of people. I really hoped for them to get of that last spot this summer, unfortunately it was not to be (yet!). I wish them all the best for the next season.

Oh and Mr. Blenski, are you sure you can't reconsider changing the head gear, a nice white aussie with emerald or orange feathers would look great, you could still have the shamrock on the front :rolleyes:

I think some people are misunderstanding. The judges weren't putting them down b/c they play G. It's like donny stated above, they were old and pieced together which made intonation a huge problem.

He also said on another thread that in critiques, judges told him that until Pioneer made the move to Bb/F, they would "come in last place in brass". That doesn't leave any room for misunderstanding.

Great move Pioneer!

I have a lot of respect for this organization. Over the past two years I've met several of their members and volunteers and they all speak highly of their corps. They're a great bunch of people. I really hoped for them to get of that last spot this summer, unfortunately it was not to be (yet!). I wish them all the best for the next season.

Oh and Mr. Blenski, are you sure you can't reconsider changing the head gear, a nice white aussie with emerald or orange feathers would look great, you could still have the shamrock on the front :rolleyes:

LOL, you're asking this of a man who's had the same hat on for 20 years.

Just for the record, not EVERY brass judge was honest enough with me to make that bold statement. There were a few that let me know that the G sonority was a thing of the past, and that achievement of a higher score or placement was something that we should not expect considering that we were utilizing equipment that was outdated by DCI division 1 standards. I actually appreciated that type of candor and could not even disagree. Those comments came from guys that judge frequently in the major shows, and people I trust as good adjudicators. They weren't being smug or condescending in those comments...at least I didn't take it that way at all.Commentary like that in critique is what GOOD judges do. Many instructors could not handle that type of commentary, but I have been around for a few 24 hours, and I took it in stride. As I said, I couldn't even disagree. I advocated the change to the administration, and you can read my bio to see that I have much of my experience in the "other" circuit. It just makes sense.

As far as the hats go, it is an argument that cannot be won. Those hats are going to be a part of the uniform until further notice.

As far as material goes...we will have to see what transpires. There are some pretty good conceptual ideas being presented next week. There is also some new talent on the design and coordination team with experience in putting quality shows together in DCI, DCA, WGI etc.

I would bet that the show will be entertaining and more competitive next summer.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic