Difference between Bb and G horns

Putting this in DCI Forum because the some posts in the Pioneer thread got me thinking about this again. And want to see what contradictions I get this time. ^0^

You have one each of G horns and one each of Bb horns.

What are the physical differences (and I don't mean a sop is smaller than a tuba :rolleyes: )

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT?! Since when?!

But, seriously...I mean, I've never even seen a G bugle in person, so I don't know any physical differences...but I would be interested in learning about it.

Wellllll I've been told one difference that is pretty #### funny if true.....

But I'll wait for a while.....

LOL, I've never played a Bb corps horn but been told I've seen a bunch.... :P

Well one difference is that Gs have more of a conical bore as

opposed to B-flats having a more cylindrical bore.

Well one difference is that Gs have more of a conical bore as

opposed to B-flats having a more cylindrical bore.

Another difference is size:

Contras are bigger and heavier than tubas. Sops are smaller than trumpets-they are not as long as trumpets. G baris/euphs look bigger than their Bb counterparts. Mellos look very similar. One thing I sort of noticed is the 3rd valve slide is longer on a G and sticks out, but that could just be a Dynasty thing. There are some F mellos that look more trumpet-like.

No, the cylindrical/conical bore thing is yet another drum corps myth. G horns are not any more conically bored than their Bb (or C, or F) counterparts. People often think they are because on many of them they have wider throats, making them appear more conical, but that's not where the bore is determined. The only substantial physical difference between the two is the length of the tubing.

No, the cylindrical/conical bore thing is yet another drum corps myth. G horns are not any more conically bored than their Bb (or C, or F) counterparts. People often think they are because on many of them they have wider throats, making them appear more conical, but that's not where the bore is determined. The only substantial physical difference between the two is the length of the tubing.

Doesn't that vary from one manufacturer to another? Or is there an industry standard?

Wow, you must have doctorates in like eight different musical disciplines. Please tell us more oh wise one!!

sheesh... little harsh? it was just a short and sweet answer that is well known.