Difference between Bb and G horns

Putting this in DCI Forum because the some posts in the Pioneer thread got me thinking about this again. And want to see what contradictions I get this time. ^0^

You have one each of G horns and one each of Bb horns.

What are the physical differences (and I don't mean a sop is smaller than a tuba :blink: )

What is the big deal? I play a C, a Bb, an Eb and a Fluegelhorn as well as an Ab/Bb piccolo. Those are all excepted in band and brass choir. I also played a G soprano......The difference is you have to use your ears. How's that? Just be a musician.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly what most corps with Bb horns are/will probably do!

:blink:

hmm.

I doubt it.

Actually, the mellophone in G has less tubing than the F mello.

Yup.

So if we really wanted to have fun we could play half a show in Bb and hold down the third valve for the second half and play in G just like the old days of 2 valve bugles LOL

Anyone remember when Chuck Mangione co-hosted DCI? There was a film clip of Chuck with a corps at practice.

Chuck: So what do I do with my third valve to be able to plsy with the corps?

Corps (in unison): CUT IT OFF...

Chuck: <look of horror like he had to cut something more personal off> :P

What is the big deal? I play a C, a Bb, an Eb and a Fluegelhorn as well as an Ab/Bb piccolo. Those are all excepted in band and brass choir. I also played a G soprano......The difference is you have to use your ears. How's that? Just be a musician.

No big deal just trying to find some info on how the two differ. The extent of my musical knowledge is reading Bari music and making the right sounds come out of the horn. Never even played a Bb valve instrument (ex-trombone player) so even the posts on transposing went right over my head. :blink:

Oh yeah, learned fingerings teh old fashioned way. Wrote the fingerings over the notes my first year or two.... 0 - Open, 1 - piston, 2 - rotor, X - both..... B)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What is the big deal? I play a C, a Bb, an Eb and a Fluegelhorn as well as an Ab/Bb piccolo. Those are all excepted in band and brass choir.

So then what do they use? :blink: