Gasparilla Open House

Been a long while since I've posted on DCP...

I wanted to march with Gasparilla. I am running really hot right now that they decided to go junior. It's not my corps so I cannot complain. I didn't like the way I found out...over email. And I was so excited to see that all-age corps made a return to Florida. There is something else going on in Northern Central Florida that might be worth taking a look see. It is my belief that Gasparilla would have been successful DCA corps RIGHT OFF THE BAT! There are so many past Heat Wavers itching to come back out. (I am one of them) Oh well.

Big ups to Keith Hall for promoting the heck out of the corps! I got my phone call from Keith last week and that is all I needed to sign with Gasparilla. Keith had nothing to do with the decision. He was doing his job as the hype man.

Looks like I might be bored again for another summer :(

JJ,

Come check out CV. I can GUARAN-####-TEE you that you won't be bored this summer. We'll have a spot for you and any other Central Floridian looking for a new drum corps home, come check us out !!!

Marvin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reaction, nearly verbatim.

Well on the plus side there seems to be an abundance of enthusiasm for a DCA Florida Corps. Now if we can ALL (me too) have a fine meal of CROW, followed smoking a peace pipe there may be a great opportunity. Somebody wanna call a meeting?

I hate to say this, but this whole Gasparilla thing sounded too good to be true from the get-go.

Fran

Well on the plus side there seems to be an abundance of enthusiasm for a DCA Florida Corps. Now if we can ALL (me too) have a fine meal of CROW, followed smoking a peace pipe there may be a great opportunity. Somebody wanna call a meeting?

Sarasota....my school next Saturday, tell me the time

It's Coming!!!!!!!

:drool: Big Lou, JJ, Bill, Keith, and all others.

God I feal bad about what this Tampa group has done to all of you Real Florida Drum Corps people. I sure hope that you ALL can get together and come up with a Florida, DCA Corps. I know that you have some people down there that are hard workers with talent. (Sure missed Heat Wave at DCA)

"Heat Wave" Proved how much could be done with a small group. Everywhere they performed the crowd in the stands just loved them!!!!!!

Tommy

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

To All:

I apologize for not responding to various emails and calls however I have been out of town on business. The decision not to field a senior corps in Tampa was based on various issues and after reading some of the postings on DCP I am sad to say that most of those people have no idea and if they did why doesn't Florida still have a competitive senior corps? The fact is after all the hype one of the reasons not to support this effort was the lack of interest. Yes, lack of interest. With all the forum chat out here only about 27 people registered for the Open House and over 90 emails from high school and college students did not want to compete at the DCA level but wanted to be part of a DCI corps even in a limited capacity. Why? I don't know but can only say that most are not well educated or exposed to DCA which produces some fine drum corps across the country and in the south has a very talented corps with CorpsVets in Atlanta the nearest corps to date from Florida.

Gasparilla and the Florida Arts and Music Foundation support various marching bands this current season with the use of many muscial instruments and will continue to do so. Gasparilla will continue with the Outdoor Percussion Ensemble that has proven to be very popular and talented. We also intend to offer the same staff opportunity with the new venture. I would like to thank all of our staff for understanding this decision and supporting it. Individuals like Keith Hall, Frank Williams and Joe Southard are part of the reason why our DCI venture will be successful. They all do it for the right reasons......

The Gasparilla Drum and Bugle Corps will be well prepared for it's debut in 2009 with a strong finanical and organizational base building it from the ground up with no past administrations to blame for success or failure. We look forward to providing a drum corps opportunity for students that want to tour at the DCI level but don't or can't spend thousands of dollars touring all summer. We will support the Open Class level and move slowly each year to build a touring program along with various other programs under our umbrella.

Insofar as the negitive comments posted. Everyone has an opinion but the difference between those that post and those that keep it to themselves separates the people that talk a lot and the people that actually do something about it!

Respectfully,

James V. Newman

Director of Operations

Florida Arts and Music Foundation