MOE KNOX

I would like to see our dear friend Moe invited to be "A Special Guest of Honor" at both the next DCI and DCA Championship events. There, both crowds would be given an opportunity to give Moe a standing ovation commensurate with his contribution to our activity. Say, for an hour or so. b**bs

Seriously, maybe a retrospect of some of his more memorable photos could be shown up on the big screen, while the commentater shared a brief history of Moe's drum corps exploits.

That would be awesome! A fitting tribute to a drum corps legend.

Fran

That would be awesome! A fitting tribute to a drum corps legend.

Fran

I talk to Moe on Monday night, and he tolded me that he knows for a fact that he was put up for the Hall of Fame twice and was turned down both times he was tolded that he made money on drum corps.

Well just to clarify, YES Moe did make money on drm corps. The money that he made one weekend, would go towords the next weekend show.For gas, and having all those wonderfull photos whating for us at the next show that we seen him at. Moe would always try to make some money, like $0.50 per picture, that is not much to live on. Moe's only job was and still taking drum corps photos for us. Now is this a crime, the last time I checked it was call free enterprise and I beleave that America was built on free enterprise. Now it time for us to stand up and get Moe in to the Hall of Fame before it is to late.

Moe has had some medicinal issues the last few years. One he has a memory problems, bad feet, and bad legs, and Moe is 75 years old, and yes he still goes out to take photos of us, the Harvey Oldermen of Drum Corps.

So lets get off our hands and put the word out that we want Moe in all of the Hall of Fames.

P.S. Here is some info on Moe's history in drum corps

Troop 14 Boy Scouts Trumpet Corps 1949-1952

Milford High School Band 1951-1953

US Naval Training Center Band 1953-1954

Ambasadors Of New York Precussian Ensemble 1999-2000

Pyramid Shriniers Oriental Band 1980-20001

I have and will try to put his New Nomintion Submission on here for all to read and if we can get this going it would be great

Larry Eckert

Caballeros Alumni- mr cymbals

MRCYMBALS- Interesting...Does that mean that those of us who wish to see Moe Knox in the WDCHOF should petition that organization to have ALL inductees removed from the HOF, if they ever made a dime from the drum corps activity? ^0^

Never having seen Moe's books, I can't say how much he's made as one of the premier historians of our activity over the years. Quite honestly, it doesn't matter. Do you want to know how I'm positive he isn't one of the drum corps profiteers out there? I was able to afford more than a couple of his 8x10 black and white photos back in my marching days.

There's a cost associated with what he does, and he's as entitled to cover his expenses and make some money on it as much as any instructor or judge out there. His services have been as vital to the activity as anyone included in the various Halls of Fame that exist ...

His craft - having the vision to compose the PERFECT shot at the PERFECT time which conveys the PERFECT story under less than ideal lighting conditions with a constantly moving object - requires as much skill, talent, and practice as any drill I ever marched. I know - I've tried to do what he does. Most of us use the "Moe" standard to this day in all aspects of photojournalism, not just corps and guard.

If that doesn't represent excellence which is worthy of note, revenue notwithstanding, I don't know what is.

jo

MRCYMBALS- Interesting...Does that mean that those of us who wish to see Moe Knox in the WDCHOF should petition that organization to have ALL inductees removed from the HOF, if they ever made a dime from the drum corps activity? ^0^

after all, it's not like an arranger or staff member gets paid or anything! :worthy:

as i said earlier the reason given is utterly rediculous and insulting to a man who has done so much for this activity!

Just a little side bar. Moe has been a member of the local Sheinier loge,

One of the jobs that he has beening a sheriner is being the driver for the long trips to Boston, Springfield, to take less fortunt people to the s

Just an aside to quell a misunderstanding. The Hall of Fame does not and will not exclude Moe Knox from eligibility for the stated reason. Just think this issue should be put to rest.

J

Jimbalaya- Thanks for setting that issue straight re: Moe not being disqualified, due to earning some $ in the activity.

And here's another thought...Admittedly, it's not my decision to make, but what if a trusted guardian were given all of Moe's archives, to have digitally preserved for posterity. This, of course, would not happen until such time as Moe no longer had need of his photos, and certainly not without his blessing.

Then, any further sales of these photos would generate funds to be put into 2 scholarship funds bearing Moe's name. The money from the sale of junior corps photos would go into a DCI "Moe Knox Memorial Scholorship Fund" and money from senior corps photos would go into a DCA fund, of the same name.

Annually, a deserving student from each group would receive a donation, to help further their education. All thanks to Moe. :)

Thoughts?

Jimbalaya- Thanks for setting that issue straight re: Moe not being disqualified, due to earning some $ in the activity.

And here's another thought...Admittedly, it's not my decision to make, but what if a trusted guardian were given all of Moe's archives, to have digitally preserved for posterity. This, of course, would not happen until such time as Moe no longer had need of his photos, and certainly not without his blessing.

Then, any further sales of these photos would generate funds to be put into 2 scholarship funds bearing Moe's name. The money from the sale of junior corps photos would go into a DCI "Moe Knox Memorial Scholorship Fund" and money from senior corps photos would go into a DCA fund, of the same name.

Annually, a deserving student from each group would receive a donation, to help further their education. All thanks to Moe. :)

Thoughts?

I would think that any family Moe has will get first dibs on his legacy of photos, unless Moe himself directs otherwise.

I think the idea is great, if the legal kinks could be worked out!

Just a question as I have no idea...does Moe 'own' all of his work? Or did he contract with DCI/DCA?

Just a little side bar. Moe has been a member of the local Shrinier lodge.

One of the jobs that he has beening a shrinierfor a long time, is being the driver for the long trips to Boston, Springfield, to take less fortunate people to the Shrinier Hospitals. This done 2 a week.

Is this a man who makes money. (NO)

This should give us all the thought, and thankfuless that we met such a good person in our lives, who gives up his time for need of others.

Also if you ever find your self on 95 by Devon,Conn, stop by and say hello, to Moe, as he is just off 95.

and you can see the history that Moe has in his housefor yourself. I have been there many, many of times.

If and when you do stop by, well let's say you my find Oscar Madison appartment a little less filled. As Moe has nothing but drum corps, in every inch of his home, and he knows where most, or where to look, if you stop by to look at any of his the photos.

Larry