MOE KNOX

I requested and submitted an application to nominate Moe Knox about 5 years ago and never heard a thing about it. A followup to WDCHOF netted a reply that they never received it. No one has contributed more to the history of drum and bugle corps than moe knox. and even though he did make a living from drum corps, he also contributed alot of his work at no cost. when i started the Connecticut's Greatest Drum & Bugle Corps tribute site, moe sent me over 500 photos and news clippings to help get site up and running, at no cost. i know he has done similar contributions to almost every web page out there. LET MOE IN!!!

I requested and submitted an application to nominate Moe Knox about 5 years ago and never heard a thing about it. A followup to WDCHOF netted a reply that they never received it. No one has contributed more to the history of drum and bugle corps than moe knox. and even though he did make a living from drum corps, he also contributed alot of his work at no cost. when i started the Connecticut's Greatest Drum & Bugle Corps tribute site, moe sent me over 500 photos and news clippings to help get site up and running, at no cost. i know he has done similar contributions to almost every web page out there. LET MOE IN!!!

Sorry, but I have to agree with Andy "It's your turn to buy" Lisko. I really doubt that Moe "made a living" with his photos. Covering expenses and travel costs probably ate up most of what he earned. Too bad the season is over, we could have pins made up that states.........LET MOE IN ...NOW!!

Here's to you MOE :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride

I hope the HoF selection committee starts to take the induction process seriously and get the people in there who should be. There are so many people not in the HoF that should be especially when you look at who is in there now and the extent of their contribution to the activity. There is an entire group of people missing from the instructional staff category, ie. "The Technicians," in all captions. I can name ten off the top of my head who belong.

Edited by O.P.

There is another route for getting into the DCI HOF called the "Legends of Drum Corps" that has much easier requirements and doesn't depend on a vote of the DCI HOF membership ... Anyone interested in pursuing this for Moe Knox should contact Dave Kampschroer.

That's the Legacy Committee. It's voted on by a different group and is the way we should pursue it for the DCI HOF.

On my office wall is a large assemblage of photos presented to me by my good friend David Scott. He decided to put it together when I mentioned I had no photos of myself in a Cavaliers uniform. He contacted Moe and Moe went through his files and found a number of photos of me playing the xylophone/marimba. I see it whenever I leave my office. When I was growing up, Moe Knox was THE chronicler of the visual drum corps memories. What can I do to help? And thank you to Mark Dewine for bringing this to my attention. Things are really weird at the moment with me taking care of family members for the past month and I have not been to this side of DCP during that time.

Link to article that shows the Moe Knox photos on my office wall.

Edited by Michael Boo

I hope the HoF selection committee starts to take the induction process seriously and get the people in there who should be.

C'mon, now..... I certainly think the Hall of Fame selection committee does take its work seriously. There are many very good drum corps folks involved with the HOF.

But I do agree there are some people who could be in the Hall who aren't, as of right now. Moe Knox, Wes Hobby and H. Worth Ake are three that, IMO, should be in the Hall... hopefully someday soon. All three of those gentlemen are drum corps icons.... or at least they are to me.

I'm sure we all have our lists of who should be in. The best bet is to follow the nominating process and get those names before the selection committee.

Fran

C'mon, now..... I certainly think the Hall of Fame selection committee does take its work seriously. There are many very good drum corps folks involved with the HOF.

But I do agree there are some people who could be in the Hall who aren't, as of right now. Moe Knox, Wes Hobby and H. Worth Ake are three that, IMO, should be in the Hall... hopefully someday soon. All three of those gentlemen are drum corps icons.... or at least they are to me.

I'm sure we all have our lists of who should be in. The best bet is to follow the nominating process and get those names before the selection committee.

Fran

speaking to others that got stiffed for a long time as they tell me it's not like anybody really watches over it. the historian , who is bill mcgrath has a lot to say about who get's in. he always seems to have a reason for not having great people in. it's a lot of hoey. there is also a lot of politics involved. there are people in the hall that have absolutly no business being in there. having said all of that MOE NEEDS TO BE IN!!!

Fran

Sigh ...

Fran, I'm sure you know of my deep love and respect for Worth ... a true gentleman and a scholar. He was the one who first encouraged me to take over the Public Relations job for the Saints while I was just a junior at St Mary's. You know where that led me :sshh:

If not for Worth's gentle prodding with frequent notes to me, the Saints' archives from a written history perspective would be mostly empty at this point 30 years down the road - but we'd still have Moe's photos :wub:

jo

Edited by JoSaints

MOE GETS MY VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I talk to Moe on Monday night, and he tolded me that he knows for a fact that he was put up for the Hall of Fame twice and was turned down both times he was tolded that he made money on drum corps.

Even if he did, he didn't make much I am pretty sure of that. ANd why the prejucdice towards individuals who can earn a living form our activity? I think we should applaud Moe that much more for being one fo the first to legitimize it all. The activity will be healthier when it gets bigger and more financially stable.

Fran

Mea Culpa, mea culpa. Agreed, I should never have written that the folks don't take the effort seriously. No one wants a HoF that is suspicious in nature. I will agree that to date all inductions have been well intended and representative of all disciplines outside of instructional.