Bingo!

Chuck had retired to Hawaii many years ago. He became quite ill and moved back to New Jersey where he passed away, again way too soon,

A great member and a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor. He was a close friend of Winky and they shared an apartment for some years. He was probably the prototype of "Little Johnny" of all the grammar school jokes/stories that abound today regarding Little Johnny and his escapades with school quizzes and such. You know the ones of which I speak, they usually have his hand raised and his teacher finally calls on him, dreading the response she's going to get!

We miss Chuck very much.

Bingo!

Chuck had retired to Hawaii many years ago. He became quite ill and moved back to New Jersey where he passed away, again way too soon,

A great member and a great guy with a wonderful sense of humor. He was a close friend of Winky and they shared an apartment for some years. He was probably the prototype of "Little Johnny" of all the grammar school jokes/stories that abound today regarding Little Johnny and his escapades with school quizzes and such. You know the ones of which I speak, they usually have his hand raised and his teacher finally calls on him, dreading the response she's going to get!

We miss Chuck very much.

Ray,

I wasn't counting commas and read "where he passed away again too soon" and I'm thinking, "Geez, how many times did this guy pass away?" Yeah I know... I'm not wicked smart on Friday nights - my brain wears down during the week.

Carry on...

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

I can only imagine what Andy wiped out here...

In fact maybe I can't....

If I can go OT for a moment... Prayers are necessary for one of the really good guys in drum corps who marched next to me on mellophone... Dave Kausch... (Cru and Phoenix) he's in ICU with a sepsis infection - needs all the pull he can get... He hasn't been in the greatest of health, so this is no doubt very dangerous for him. Thanks

If I can go OT for a moment... Prayers are necessary for one of the really good guys in drum corps who marched next to me on mellophone... Dave Kausch... (Cru and Phoenix) he's in ICU with a sepsis infection - needs all the pull he can get... He hasn't been in the greatest of health, so this is no doubt very dangerous for him. Thanks

Prayers for Dave and his family on the way!

O.K. here is the story that I started earlier about Charlie Johnson and the 1970 Dream. The night before the dream we (Rochester) marched the Waverly show. When the scores were announced, Sky had won the show and were presented the 1st place trophy. Welp, Truman went through the sheets and found a mistake, and the judges agreed there was mistake, and Baltimore should have won the show. So there is a bunch of us drinking with the drumline from NY, you know the usual suspects Ray, Wes, Rocco, and I could have sworn Andy was there but ????(hic)

Truman approaches Winky and demands the trophy be turned over to Baltimore, riiiiight. So things start getting dicey, Lefty intervenes and clears the parking lot of Sky and tells everybody to get on the bus. Well there was a bunch of us that didn't want to miss this show, so we decided to tag along and go to the Dream, the next day. I think we partied that night at a Holiday Inn? in Hasbrouck Heights?? Anyhow, the Skyliners were boiled and we never went to bed.

As my memory, remembers.........during the Dream, Skys hornline was in their company front playing their signature Little Old New York ending heading towards the finish line, Charlie Johnson had the A-section posted just before the finish line. Sky's hornline passes the A-section before Charlie gives the forward-march command. Hence a 1pt penalty. Here are the scores for Waverly and the Dream. And if you notice the Dream scores, there is a 1pt. difference between Hawthorne and New York. Could that be the 1pt penalty??? Of course, this could all be a dream......

1 Yankee Rebels 77.850 2 New York Skyliners 77.600 3 Sunrisers 72.000 4 Hamburg Kingsmen 71.200 5 Rochester Crusaders 68.750 6 Les Diplomates

The Dream

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.300 2 New York Skyliners 82.300 3 Connecticut Hurricanes 80.100 4 Yankee Rebels 79.650 5 Reading Buccaneers 79.550

Edited by ereese

O.K. here is the story that I started earlier about Charlie Johnson and the 1970 Dream. The night before the dream we (Rochester) marched the Waverly show. When the scores were announced, Sky had won the show and were presented the 1st place trophy. Welp, Truman went through the sheets and found a mistake, and the judges agreed there was mistake, and Baltimore should have won the show. So there is a bunch of us drinking with the drumline from NY, you know the usual suspects Ray, Wes, Rocco, and I could have sworn Andy was there but ????(hic)

Truman approaches Winky and demands the trophy be turned over to Baltimore, riiiiight. So things start getting dicey, Lefty intervenes and clears the parking lot of Sky and tells everybody to get on the bus. Well there was a bunch of us that didn't want to miss this show, so we decided to tag along and go to the Dream, the next day. I think we partied that night at a Holiday Inn? in Hasbrouck Heights?? Anyhow, the Skyliners were boiled and we never went to bed.

As my memory, remembers.........during the Dream, Skys hornline was in their company front playing their signature Little Old New York ending heading towards the finish line, Charlie Johnson had the A-section posted just before the finish line. Sky's hornline passes the A-section before Charlie gives the forward-march command. Hence a 1pt penalty. Here are the scores for Waverly and the Dream. And if you notice the Dream scores, there is a 1pt. difference between Hawthorne and New York. Could that be the 1pt penalty??? Of course, this could all be a dream......

1 Yankee Rebels 77.850 2 New York Skyliners 77.600 3 Sunrisers 72.000 4 Hamburg Kingsmen 71.200 5 Rochester Crusaders 68.750 6 Les Diplomates

The Dream

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 83.300 2 New York Skyliners 82.300 3 Connecticut Hurricanes 80.100 4 Yankee Rebels 79.650 5 Reading Buccaneers 79.550

Hey Eddie ... the trophy for Waverly had a clock in its base ... and it traveled to and fro around Truman and Bull trying to get it back ... the catch phrase "Who's got the clock?" permiated throughout drumcorpsdom for the rest of the season ... it was most comical ...exept to Baltimore ... LOL ... I believe Jimmy Clemente eventually wound up with the actual trophy ... I remember you and one or two others riding back to Jersey with us to attend the Dream ... and yes I was right there along with Wes and Ruocco ... I believe we stayed at a hotel out on Rt 9 not to far from Roosevelt Stadium ... and yes ... it was an all-nighter ... but ... for the life of me, I don't remember anything about a penalty ... however the "colck" trophy was on display as we warmed up before the show in the parking lot ... guess ya hadda be there to appreciate it ...

:-)