how is jim doing anyway? we haven't heard.

I feel guilty - I haven't called him in a couple of months - glad someone wrote this- get me off my ###.

• Like 1

putting it back up top for new comers...

Please Read Before You Post
If you *know* who it is.... please wait a while (not everyone is on here all day or even daily for that matter)
If there have been no Guesses..........Then give a *challenging* hint.
When giving hints on these try to be creative and just dangle the tiniest tidbit. Make people really think / work on it. Then wait it out a while before tossing another tiny vague tidbit...

C'mon we've got to make these last a little longer. PLEASE??

Also, any comments made MUST be made in good taste... this is a fun loving thread... not a revenge match. Please spew your venom elsewhere.
Please submit any questions and / or pics in their full size (preferably JPG format), with full description - names, Corps, Stadium, Year... etc. to:
The *Guess Who* Mailbox
Thanx in advance!

All that said and out of the way..
Guess Who # 514 ?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7316/12951130945_2da76c7e1f_o.jpg

he's too tall to be Cosetti

Seeing him standing next to Cossetti you might think differently... LOL

Seeing him standing next to Cossetti you might think differently... LOL

oh i see..............he's like you.............. :tounge2:

oh i see..............he's like you.............. :tounge2:

Height wise he's slightly taller..... Width wise, well.... I know he still fits into his military uniform. Where I doubt I would fit into ANY uniform.. heh

Quick off-topic aside: Called Jimmy Cossetti yesterday but he was out (giving trumpet lessons - good). Dot says he is much much better with the single exception that his eyesight has not returned to 100% and he's currently unable to drive.

Glad to hear he's concentrating on music - the great healer.

• Like 2

Quick off-topic aside: Called Jimmy Cossetti yesterday but he was out (giving trumpet lessons - good). Dot says he is much much better with the single exception that his eyesight has not returned to 100% and he's currently unable to drive.

Glad to hear he's concentrating on music - the great healer.

good to hear he's on the mend. thanks ray.

• Like 1

The sound you hear in the background is Nanci sharpening her ninja stars as I go OT again - please forgive me - I just thought that the only people that would understand what I was thinking about are all on this forum:

To keep my sanity in Texas I go to the Fort Worth Symphony every couple of weeks. Pretty good orchestra that plays relatively progressive concerts, although the local blue haired ladies complain (fairly loudly) about dissonance and modern music and why do the trumpets have to be keyed in Bb, etc.

Tonight the featured piece was Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F. For many of us, the first time we were introduced to that piece was as arranged by Hy Dreitzer for the NY Skyliners during the late 60s - I have to defer (as always) to Andy here, as CorpsReps doesn't list them ever even playing it, but I trust my memory. (about drum corps, if nothing else)

The amazing thing is to think about us growing up back then and Hy would bring out Concerto in F - then Joe G would do Rhapsody in Blue, then Sasso would crank out "American in Paris" and voila, instant Music Appreciation at a level that a lot of college kids don't get even now.

I don't much subscribe to the Buglemageddon, end of the world, Look what they've done to my corps, ma... school of today (on RAMD or the other 39 forums on DCP) but one thing I do miss is the way that folks like the aforementioned 3 great brass guys would get kids hooked on great music.

We were hooked on West Side Story, and Malaguena, and Gershwin, and Carmen (the opera, not the drill guy), and so much more.

So throughout the Concerto in F tonight I sat in my (front row - can't see as well as I used to) seats and closed my eyes and thought about Hy, and Joe, and John, and the good old days, and how lucky I was, and how lucky we were.

Brought my daughter tonight too, but I didn't bother to tell her or my wife that I knew the Concerto inside and out because I got hooked 50 years ago by a "bugle guy". My daughter, who has been playing piano since she could reach the keys and played synth with Crossmen last year thought "That was about the best thing I've ever seen..." I wanted to say "you should have heard it with Pepe's solo at the end."

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

Yes, indeed! And the solo by Jimmy Ednie was just about the most soulful thing I ever heard.

Many years later, I was consulting with the Glassmen at the behest of the impresario Cesario when they covered this piece. I believe it was arranged by that other avatar, Robert Smith.

I brought a dub of the Skyliners version to a rehearsal and just said, "Try to capture some of this. If Gershwin were writing for drum corps he would approve of this treatment."

The general reaction was, "Holy s..t! Those guys did that with one valve?"

We must value what we did in those days. If we don't, who will?

The current subject seems to be known to some here. Let's name him and give him his props. He played with one valve, too.

• Like 3