"Good Morning, Viet Nam"

I know only one of our drum corps boys who actually flew those things, dropping guys into the jungle and fetching them out. He went on to some fame as a drill instructor, but this doesn't look like him.

Well this gentleman, whom I do not know, is a Captain and an Airborne Ranger judging by insignia - he has that "this is my copter" look about him so possibly a pilot - honestly there weren't a lot of officers on copters that weren't pilots, even the "doctors" weren't doctors - they were corpsmen like my old buddy Mike Hart from the Sunrisers.

I'm the tiniest bit puzzled if this picture was taken in Viet Nam as we all wore that jungle camouflage. Nanci already hinted 67 - 67 so that's 4 years before me so I don't know everything about uniforms, etc.

East Coast guy, chopper pilot, Army (?) Officer... Viet Nam...

What do you have Holmes?

Pure speculation:

Nanci says Viet Nam (could be), but he's not in a hostile zone. His rank insignia is not camo, and he carries no side arm.

Not a pilot, either. Wrong glasses. And these fancy sun specs may even be prescription, in which case, definitely not a piolt.

Right handed. (see watch, also a bit fancy for an action zone.)

Administrative job, perhaps. Not Supply, as the uniform would fit better.

My MOS guess: Recon Photo Analyst or Counter Insurgency Intel

I suspect all of the above will prove quite funny when we finally figure this out.

Pure speculation:

Nanci says Viet Nam (could be), but he's not in a hostile zone. His rank insignia is not camo, and he carries no side arm.

Not a pilot, either. Wrong glasses. And these fancy sun specs may even be prescription, in which case, definitely not a piolt.

Right handed. (see watch, also a bit fancy for an action zone.)

Administrative job, perhaps. Not Supply, as the uniform would fit better.

My MOS guess: Recon Photo Analyst or Counter Insurgency Intel

I suspect all of the above will prove quite funny when we finally figure this out.

I will tell you though Frank that perfect vision was no longer a requirement for chopper pilots after we lost the first thousand or so... but I agree with everything else. Rank insignia were downplayed as the enema tended to shoot at officers whenever possible.

I know some guys from Sun that played with tanks... but I didn't know any Captains...

A couple of Captains of Industry, maybe...

I can't even imagine being a chopper pilot during the Vietnam War. Absolutely insane duty. Amazing that any of them got out alive.

Hint.....

I do know this gentleman so I'm not sure how much to post about his Military AND Drum Corps history....

Colonel, United States Army (Ret) 1965 - 1991

I'm not sure, maybe posting some of his DC history might give him away. I could post more of his Military history though...

(No, I did not send this pic to NanciD)

Hint.....

I do know this gentleman so I'm not sure how much to post about his Military AND Drum Corps history....

Colonel, United States Army (Ret) 1965 - 1991

I'm not sure, maybe posting some of his DC history might give him away. I could post more of his Military history though...

(No, I did not send this pic to NanciD)

Baltimore area?