Not sure when John joined Sun ... I know he spent at least one year with Little Falls after his Staten Island days with either the T-birds or the Lawmen ...

:-)

1966 - I remember being at Mitchell Field learning "The Joker" for the first time that winter and listening to those freakishly high notes, esp. 8va'ing the whole Joker melody at the hit of the piece.

I was 15 so I don't think I had ever heard anything quite like it up 'til then.

"1965 Moments":

Royal Airs win at CYO Nationals. After having lost to most of the Mid West's big guns, including the Casper Troopers "Big Blue" topped the list at CYO and did not lose another contest in 1965.

The "Triple Crown" of CYO, VFW and Legion Nationals would all be theirs.

Elphaba

In my never quite humble enough opinion, '65 was the pivot year that started the inevitable dominance of "junior corps" - RA; Cavies; Troopers - it was too much for us East Coasters to withstand.

I think of it was the line between prehistoric and ancient times, when dinosaurs began to lose status to the smaller, faster species of warm blooded mammals.

Three Blind Mice ... Sasso's tribute to Hy ... that's what started this whole round!

:-)

Andy, "Mice" was St Rita's. Sun's Hy tribute was "Old McDonald". Screech was with the T-birds in '63 and '64, went to LFC for '65 and '66. John was one of our first "imports", he came down from the Bronx to the Island and Pete Cappazzoli, another lead sop, would travel up from Asbury Park. Had a few others from Elizabeth, NJ and the Bronx and Queens, NY.

Methinks a few too many merlots is creating fuzzy thinking ( a no, not THAT Fuzzy either) ???

Edited by Ray Priester
  • Like 1

Andy, "Mice" was St Rita's. Sun's Hy tribute was "Old McDonald". Screech was with the T-birds in '63 and '64, went to LFC for '65 and '66. John was one of our first "imports", he came down from the Bronx to the Island and Pete Cappazzoli, another lead sop, would travel up from Asbury Park. Had a few others from Elizabeth, NJ and the Bronx and Queens, NY.

Methinks a few too many merlots is creating fuzzy thinking ( a no, not THAT Fuzzy either) ???

Mice ... schmice ... they live on a farm ... no? ... and that farm was run by Old man McDonald ... who had a dickery ( :w00t: ) ... and a hickory clock ... out by the dock ... and the mice ran up it ... the clock struck one ... and the other two got away with minor injuries ... hence, the final verse: Two blind mice ... Two blind mice ... (you get the idea) ...

Andy "practicin' for my MSheee (hic) duties in 2015" Lisko

the longer the show ... the better the announcing

Edited by ajlisko
  • Like 1

Two more of my Sun favorites a la John Sasso were "Subways Are For Sleeping" and "Orange Colored Sky".

And maybe my all-time favorite in large part because of the incredible technique and sound of Bill Hightower was "It's a Pity to Say Goodnight When the Lights Go Out"

Classic piece of trombone playing on a kitchen sink pipe plus piston and mouthpiece.

The "Mice" thing threw me - I knew Hy did it for St Joes (St Ritas?) but couldn't for the life of me remember Sun doing it.

but these days if you told me I played Malaguena with Hurcs I'd just nod and say, "yeah okay - guess so"

Ray F,

That 8va you heard in "Joker" in '66 was Frank Diliberto. During the winter, we both played it but Sasso cut me. "Just play that triple tonging with Murphy and Calcagno", he said.

We three became obsessed with that trio, to the point that we'd walk up to each other and just recite the syllables:

"Ta Ta tataka Ta Ta Ta-taa...etc."

(I'm still hearing this in my sleep, 50 years on. Surely there's a syndrome name for this. I'll have to check with that Oliver Sacks guy.)

The following year Screech and Frank did the octave honors together.

"Post Prehistoric"

If there were a "Firebell in the Night" evenings of drum corps it was the 1970 Mid West tour of Santa Clara Vanguard.

This little known California drum corps roared into the Mid West and upset all three reigning National Champions: Chicago Cavaliers, (Legion), Casper Troopers( CYO and WO) and the Racine Kilties (VFW) at Michegan City and scored victories against the "Rest of the Best" from the Mid West.in several other contests.

Things would never be the same......

Elphaba

• Like 1

"Post Prehistoric"

If there were a "Firebell in the Night" evenings of drum corps it was the 1970 Mid West tour of Santa Clara Vanguard.

This little known California drum corps roared into the Mid West and upset all three reigning National Champions: Chicago Cavaliers, (Legion), Casper Troopers( CYO and WO) and the Racine Kilties (VFW) at Michegan City and scored victories against the "Rest of the Best" from the Mid West.in several other contests.

Things would never be the same......

Elphaba

I was at Language School in Monterey CA in 1970, Fall, and went to a drum corps show up the road in Santa Clara - not sure what I was expecting. They were all great, long after Labor Day, and SCV, of whom I had only heard a couple of times prior to that show, blew me away.

I went looking for them afterward and I'm walking across a field and walk into Wayne Downey in an SCV uniform. Last time I looked he was playing in Sun.

We both said "What are you doing here?" at the same time.

From there I disappeared to Asia for 3 years and he became the brightest star in the Western Sky, at least until Dorritie headed out in 1978.

That whole West Coast thing had escaped my notice until that evening.

Ray F,

That 8va you heard in "Joker" in '66 was Frank Diliberto. During the winter, we both played it but Sasso cut me. "Just play that triple tonging with Murphy and Calcagno", he said.

We three became obsessed with that trio, to the point that we'd walk up to each other and just recite the syllables:

"Ta Ta tataka Ta Ta Ta-taa...etc."

(I'm still hearing this in my sleep, 50 years on. Surely there's a syndrome name for this. I'll have to check with that Oliver Sacks guy.)

The following year Screech and Frank did the octave honors together.

I don't think I fully appreciated Deliberto until much later.

But I was a kid - it wasn't my fault.

• Like 1

Mice ... schmice ... they live on a farm ... no? ... and that farm was run by Old man McDonald ... who had a dickery ( :w00t: ) ... and a hickory clock ... out by the dock ... and the mice ran up it ... the clock struck one ... and the other two got away with minor injuries ... hence, the final verse: Two blind mice ... Two blind mice ... (you get the idea) ...

Andy "practicin' for my MSheee (hic) duties in 2015" Lisko

the longer the show ... the better the announcing

It's OK Andy. You were prolly thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84IowoW00w

:)

Edited by gsksun4