I see 6 on that roster from Selden. The 66 corps had more but I can't recall all the names. I know Jack Schwab and contra Bob Brown marched Kingsmen in 66.

Billy Kirk ... not sure about his brother ... also, the aforementioned Sonny Felton ...

:-)

Billy Kirk ... not sure about his brother ... also, the aforementioned Sonny Felton ...

Both were part of the 6 on the 67 roster as I mentioned and yes in 66 also. Pat Kirk did not march Kingsmen as far as I know. I'd be surprised if he did. Think he went in the service at that time.

I'm surprised Paul Daunt didn't go because they were all very close.

When I first saw Dee Dee (Ruben, Shakey) Jackson playing baritone with Sky, I thought WTF???

Visited Felton at his 9th ave. apartment in NY and he proceeded to blast Sky 61. Neighbors almost called the police. It's good they didn't because there was a fog in his living room. :)

Edited by gsksun4

Both were part of the 6 on the 67 roster as I mentioned and yes in 66 also. Pat Kirk did not march Kingsmen as far as I know. I'd be surprised if he did. Think he went in the service at that time.

I'm surprised Paul Daunt did't go because they were all very close.

When I first saw Dee Dee (Ruben, Shakey) Jackson playing baritone with Sky, I thought WTF???

Visited Felton at his 9th ave. apartment in NY and he preceded to blast Sky 61. Neighbors almost called the police. It's good they didn't because there was a fog in his living room. :)

Forgot all about Shake 'n Bake ... one of NYC's finest Sanitation Engineers ... once saw him lift and carry a juke box up from the basement at the Condon Post becasue the party needed some music ...

:wow:

• Like 1

Forgot all about Shake 'n Bake ... one of NYC's finest Sanitation Engineers ... once saw him lift and carry a juke box up from the basement at the Condon Post becasue the party needed some music ...

:wow:

The Shake had a pair of arms that said, "Better walk away Punk". I recall another French horn from Selden, Charlie Johnson who could keep the Shake at bay.

When we rolled in at the 64 W.O., the bus parked right next to Hedges Stadium. We were told, "STAY ON THE BUS!!!". Charlie tells Jackson, "Dee Dee, get me some grits!", and off the bus he went. Director tells him, I said stay. Shake says, I need to feed him or else. Nuff said. Believe Charlie went into the Army and taught martial arts or street fighting.

On the way out the door, Pepe turns around and says, "We used to beat you guys all the time before Sasso invented intonation!"

Fast forward to 1988 ... Pepe giving an impassioned Soliloquy at the Friday night GAS beer bash that would rival Linus's vision of The Meaning of Christmas ... to paraphrase Pepe: "... intonation ... who cares? ... tone ... who cares? ... PEOPLE DO YOU LOVE ME ... DO YOU LOVE ME???" ... as he pounded his heart ...

Edited by ajlisko

Dirt was a combination of a wonderful personality and a great showman. You could say he was a great musician because he communicated raw passion in his playing that was instantly understood by his audience, which is what music is all about. I doubt he could have played with many other ensembles, but he fit in to Sky like a (middle) finger in a glove.

I liked him a lot. One of his mello-mates is of course, Pete China, the soul of the 70s and 80s Sunrisers, IMO one half of the reason for their success - his brother Dave was the other half. He willed them to success. Ruined his personal life because of his love of the corps - and the love probably frequently felt unrequited - corps don't "love back" the way they should. In my opinion, in the running for "Greatest Sunriser of All Times" which is s formidable list that included Dorritie, Murphy, Sassos three, Fran, Screech, and dozens of others. I have yet to meet anyone in my life that loved an organization or a team with such a pure, passionate love. I'm just glad it didn't kill him.

Thanks for the mention... but I'm not even in the same time zone with the other names. Not even close.

My personal choice for all-time greatest Sunriser... Gary Williams. The others you mentioned are right up there with him. Certainly the China brothers. Like you said.... without Pete and Dave, the corps does not win those DCA titles.

• Like 1

I'm surprised Paul Daunt did't go because they were all very close.

Visited Felton at his 9th ave. apartment in NY and he proceeded to blast Sky 61. Neighbors almost called the police. It's good they didn't because there was a fog in his living room. :)

What a privilege it was to march with Paul in Sun in 1977 and '78.

One of the best French horn players ever, IMO. Certainly the best we had during his two years with us at Sun. He could really fill up that horn with great sound.

Heh... in 1978, there were times when the rest of our Frenchie section...Marty Roche, Frank Voltaggio, and I... would look at each other and say, "What the heck are we doing here??? Paul is good enough to be a one-person line!!!" LOL

What a privilege it was to march with Paul in Sun in 1977 and '78.

One of the best French horn players ever, IMO. Certainly the best we had during his two years with us at Sun. He could really fill up that horn with great sound.

Heh... in 1978, there were times when the rest of our Frenchie section...Marty Roche, Frank Voltaggio, and I... would look at each other and say, "What the heck are we doing here??? Paul is good enough to be a one-person line!!!" LOL

We had a very good French horn line, 63, 64. Brian Farrell who went on to front that Kingsmen corps, Billy Kirk (RIP) Billy plays the exit solo on the 64 W.O. record, also Kingsmen and then Sky, Paul Daunt (Sky, Sun) and Shakey (Ruben) Jackson (Sky), Charlie Spenser (Sky) and lastly Charlie Johnson. BTW, Charlie J. was the reason or part of the reason Tom Beresford left and went to Sun.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1

Be careful, now. You're risking a yellow card.

The rules say give hints, not solve the puzzle in one fell swoop.

Tubas? What's a tuba? Those look like the "baby" Getzen Contras, though these cats did march 4 Imperial "shoulder" euphoniums back then. The horns in the photo seem bigger than those.

The Hombres eschewed the baritone entirely, using the standard euphoniums instead, much like the Blue Devils did a few years ago until they got King to build those hybrids they now carry.

This corps was ahead of its time and gave suggestions of being from another planet. (Well, they did emanate from the Bronx, after all.)

Sorry about the rules break - I thought that one was like a softball toss to just get the juices flowing for 2015 - which it did.

I'm going to sit in a corner of my living room with a pointy hat on for one hour.

Pretty sure Carrie won't object - she sort of thinks I should be doing that ll the time.