Frank's first year with Sunrisers (1982) was my last.

But for the record, I did not leave because he joined. :tongue:

did he join because he heard a rumor you were leaving?

:tongue:

Think Wayne Downey started there in 69 or 70.

Maybe Tony has him on his alumni list.

No detail in the Alumni database. Just an entry of "1960's Soprano" (Wayne was marching with Santa Clara in 71-72 though)

Lots of missing information in the database...... I'm working on filling in the blanks. It's just going to take time.worthy.gif

I have seen a photo of Wayne that Carol Schaffer-Fallon has in one of her FB albums that says it's from 1973-77 Sun

*Edit*

A post from Wayne himself My first full season with SCV was 1970.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225146990634&set=t.1605243567&type=3

Edited by TennTux

No detail in the Alumni database. Just an entry of "1960's Soprano" (Wayne was marching with Santa Clara in 71-72 though)

Lots of missing information in the database...... I'm working on filling in the blanks. It's just going to take time.worthy.gif

I have seen a photo of Wayne that Carol Schaffer-Fallon has in one of her FB albums that says it's from 1973-77 Sun

*Edit*

A post from Wayne himself My first full season with SCV was 1970.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225146990634&set=t.1605243567&type=3

From "An Interview With Wayne Downey":

Wayne became more attracted to a drum and bugle corps in nearby Smithton, New York, primarily because their horns had a valve and a slide. He marched with the Smithtown Freelancers in 1966, 1967, and 1968. In 1969, his senior year in high school, Wayne marched in the Long Island Sunrisers Senior Drum and Bugle Corps as one of their soprano soloists.

At the same time his father, who was an elementary school principal, interviewed for and accepted a job in California, which required relocation. The family departed during the summer of 1969, leaving Wayne behind to march with the Sunrisers.

Wayne planned on finishing out the season with the Sunrisers and taking advantage of a music scholarship offered to him by Florida State University. However, midway through the summer, Wayne decided it was best to join his parents in California. "After all, great weather is great weather no matter which coast you soak it up on." With this in mind, he elicited the help of friends (including Dave Shaw, Editor of Drum Corps Digest) to locate any drum and bugle corps on the West coast. Wayne was informed of a three-year old corps located in Santa Clara, California called the Santa Clara Vanguard. Ironically, his parents had moved just one block away from the home of the Vanguard's corps director, Gail Royer. Wayne marched soprano bugle with Vanguard during the end of the 1969 season, and all of 1970-72.

:-)

• Like 1

From "An Interview With Wayne Downey":

Wayne became more attracted to a drum and bugle corps in nearby Smithton, New York, primarily because their horns had a valve and a slide. He marched with the Smithtown Freelancers in 1966, 1967, and 1968. In 1969, his senior year in high school, Wayne marched in the Long Island Sunrisers Senior Drum and Bugle Corps as one of their soprano soloists.

At the same time his father, who was an elementary school principal, interviewed for and accepted a job in California, which required relocation. The family departed during the summer of 1969, leaving Wayne behind to march with the Sunrisers.

Wayne planned on finishing out the season with the Sunrisers and taking advantage of a music scholarship offered to him by Florida State University. However, midway through the summer, Wayne decided it was best to join his parents in California. "After all, great weather is great weather no matter which coast you soak it up on." With this in mind, he elicited the help of friends (including Dave Shaw, Editor of Drum Corps Digest) to locate any drum and bugle corps on the West coast. Wayne was informed of a three-year old corps located in Santa Clara, California called the Santa Clara Vanguard. Ironically, his parents had moved just one block away from the home of the Vanguard's corps director, Gail Royer. Wayne marched soprano bugle with Vanguard during the end of the 1969 season, and all of 1970-72.

:-)

Thanks Andy!! (updated the Sun Alum database....)

I don't see anyone here guessing who the current feature is. I'm not even sure and I was there.

Wild guess: Tommy Howell.

Sorry, but the old memory is not very good on this one.

Bingo! :thumbup:

Now, can you tell us anything more about him? All it says here in this 1967 article is that he's a long time veteran of Sun. Wasn't he a sop? Was he in a Jr. corps? How long was he with Sun? Did he march anywhere after that?

Bingo! :thumbup:

Now, can you tell us anything more about him? All it says here in this 1967 article is that he's a long time veteran of Sun. Wasn't he a sop? Was he in a Jr. corps? How long was he with Sun? Did he march anywhere after that?

I'm afraid not. Like I said, the memory just isn't there on this one. All I recall is the name and he was Charlie's (mello player) brother.

Too bad Frank Dorritie or Bob Murphy aren't around to fill in the blanks.

Edited by gsksun4

I've emailed FTD and Bob and asked if they can help with more background info for Tom...

(All I have is Tom's name in the database)