OK how 'bout if we go from Guess Who? to What The Heck Happened?

As in what happened with Ballentine? Reading Nancis history blog and have a recording of 1964 Brewers (quite good concert number) but... ah.... they fell off the face of the earth for 1965(?). Not even a mention of where the former members went.

Back to Reilly and Archie??

OK how 'bout if we go from Guess Who? to What The Heck Happened?

As in what happened with Ballentine? Reading Nancis history blog and have a recording of 1964 Brewers (quite good concert number) but... ah.... they fell off the face of the earth for 1965(?). Not even a mention of where the former members went.

Many ex-Ballentine players wound up in Sky for 65 ...

:-)

Speakin' of Ballentine if I can go OT for uno momento por favor. Back in the 'nam the only 'merican beer we could get our hands on was Ballentine, and warm at that. The only way I could get the taste out of my mouth was to eat a whole jar of nuoc mam.

Edited by ereese
  • Like 1

Fran, if you spent time in Bayonne, there's a good chance you've been by the church they called home. If it was after the 61 season though, you could no longer hear the strains of this powerhouse drum corps emanating from the area.

The church is on W. 47th. Street near Ave. C.

I was in the Army stationed at Ft Hood Texas. My "Drum Corps News" was being mailed to me. I'll never forget the headline that Vinnies had disbanded. They were like gods to us. (WRPC) I didn't think it was even possible. This was my first awakening that even championship drum corps don't last forever.

Back to Reilly and Archie??

Man walk away for a few minutes and bunch o' responses.... :thumbup:

But the word that gets me is "Back"(?).... Didn't Reilly go inactive about the time BB started up. Looking for scores in Nancis blog and the years are getting mixed up but have read a lot of 1963/1964 articles lately.

Man walk away for a few minutes and bunch o' responses.... :thumbup:/>

But the word that gets me is "Back"(?).... Didn't Reilly go inactive about the time BB started up. Looking for scores in Nancis blog and the years are getting mixed up but have read a lot of 1963/1964 articles lately.

I believe Reilly competed '65-67

Amboy Dukes?

The other way around ... Amboy disbanded after the WO in 63 and in effect became Ballentine along with ex-Vinnie's & BS guys ... Ballentine was an exhibition and parade corps in 63 and competed in 64 ... not sure how long they lasted through the winter of 64 into 65, but their drum quartet showed up at a few shows during that time ...

Believe that's correct, but it might have been 1963 (1964?) that they either did not compete or announced they would not compete and then did. LOL, just read an article where they did a pre-season concert show as part of the "comeback" and they wore sunglasses on the stage. Guessing this was early '65 or '64.

63 was the year Reilly didn't compete ... they came back in 64 and lasted through 68 - 68 being the year of the merger bewteen Reilly and Archie ... which was stunning to most of us ... talk about rivalries!