That could have been too, but not the answer.

Fish has a nice way of putting it and I'm pretty sure we've all been around one. Most likely in the 50's and 60's.

Hmmm ... if you ever owned one of his 45's you needed one of these for the spindle ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Nice work Fish. :)

Thanks!...... we've morphed from Guess Who into Guess What while we wait for the next victom!

• Like 1

Hmmm ... if you ever owned one of his 45's you needed one of these for the spindle ...

We can adapt...

Edited by fish66

Thanks!...... we've morphed from Guess Who into Guess What while we wait for the next victim!

The object came up in conversation yesterday and I thought the Who folk would know.

I'm surprised Iron Lips didn't get it right off. He's prolly been in the same building with the guy a few times. :)

Edited by gsksun4

I must be skipping...err, slipping.

I never met Smokey, though I did ride a few floors in an elevator once with Gladys Knight and a couple of her Pips. I didn't recognize her until someone else got on and exclaimed, "Hey, Gladys Knight and the Pips!" (Such a white boy was I.) Him, I could ID. Lionel Ritchie.

Still, I was not overly impressed. Unlike the Hurricanes, none of them had ever won the Dream.

"Shop Around", "Tracks of My Tears", "Oo, Baby, Baby"...Smokey sure has a beautiful and iconic voice. It's almost a match for the late, great Scarlet Lancer and Sunriser tenor drummer, Bobby "Shoes" Files, who serenaded us all the way through the late '60's.

I don't think it's a coincidence that one of Bobby's instructors in the Lancers was Nick Saunders (St. Catherine's/Sunrisers solo sop) who to this day sings with the classic Doo-Wop group, the Clef Tones ("This Little Girl of Mine"...etc.)

Music is a great river, and drum corps one of it's hippest tributaries.

• Like 1

Back in the early 80's the economy was so bad, (how bad was it?) that Gladys Knight had to lay off two of her Pips!

Drum corps related since rim-shot to inserted here......*

• Like 1

I must be skipping...err, slipping.

I never met Smokey, though I did ride a few floors in an elevator once with Gladys Knight and a couple of her Pips. I didn't recognize her until someone else got on and exclaimed, "Hey, Gladys Knight and the Pips!" (Such a white boy was I.) Him, I could ID. Lionel Ritchie.

Still, I was not overly impressed. Unlike the Hurricanes, none of them had ever won the Dream.

Pepe's progression of interrogation when meeting someone new was: 1) Didja ever march in the Dream? ... if yes, 2) Didja ever win the Dream? ... if yes, 3) Didja ever win it twice in a row? ... if yes, then he'd talk to you ...

Shelton's three-peat in 67-68-69 was a remarkable accomplishment given all the changes that occurred in judging and instrumentation those years ...

• Like 1