Hi Frank ,news to me I never knew that the Marionettes gave a try at going co=ed .I'm still and a very good friend with Irence Bedell who marched with The Marionettes ,And was Corps Director for Saint Clares in Rosedale for 28years ,They folded about 3 years ago after being around 58 years .

Eddie never shared that tidbit with me ... what he did say is that his father was/became Director of the Marionettes ... I asked him why he went to the Bronx Kingsmen instead of Selden and he said: for a 13 year old kid, taking a bus, the Bronx was a lot closer than Selden ...

World of edjumacation we're gettin' here in Wholand!

:-)

The way Long Island was in the 60s, and the earlier we're talking about, the more this was, for a 13 year old kid, Idaho was closer than Selden.

Suffolk County was the end of the Universe - I'm betting Frank can tell some stories about weekly treks to Kings Park.

I have 2 Suffolk stories, and one of them was actually in Eastern Nassau, or "almost Suffolk"

When they built the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway, I would take my VW up on the (Closed/Not Open Yet/ Unfinished) highway to see how fast it would go. One day I almost made it to the end, which would have sent me over a not there bridge, plummeting about 25' to the ground below. Can you imagine that sized road being left untended, no jersey barriers, etc?

One day on the LIE, out by (gasp) Riverhead, my VW started clanging. I got out in the right lane and laid under it, wiring up my muffler. Never saw another car during the 15 or 20 minutes it took me and my trusty clothes hanger to make the repair. Riverhead is the County "Capitol". About 10 years later Harry Chapin was crushed like a bug when his VW slowed down on the LIE, albeit a few miles further West.

Suffolk was like the Wild Wild East back then. To get to Selden would have taken a sled and a pack of dogs, like the Idiotarod.

Ah geez Andy, is that Peanut that passed away now?

Good kid, decent contra bass - bought his own King horn to up his game.

Loved Sky as much as any of you Mafia types.

Man, this decade has not been good for our brother/sisterhood.

RIP Peanut. Almost makes me wish I didn't beat you at DCA I&E.

• Like 1

Suffolk was like the Wild Wild East back then. To get to Selden would have taken a sled and a pack of dogs, like the Idiotarod.

We actually had a guy, Brian Farrell from Queens. Capt. John Smith (Cabs) knew him and they used to go watch Sun rehearse at a shopping center near by. Not sure where in Queens he lived, but he was always there. Wasn't easy for him.

Back in those days, you found a way to get there. Others would help out It was our life.

We actually had a guy, Brian Farrell from Queens. Capt. John Smith (Cabs) knew him and they used to go watch Sun rehearse at a shopping center near by. Not sure where in Queens he lived, but he was always there. Wasn't easy for him.

Back in those days, you found a way to get there. Others would help out It was our life.

I believe Brian also went with the Selden guys that joined the NY Kingsmen ... even think he was one of their DM's in 66 or 67 ... did he ever hook up with Sun eventually? ... Sky had a good influx of Los Hobres Del Ray in 69 ... along with Bpt PAL, St. Lucy's, Marksmen, and more ... it was a wonderful melting pot (heh ... get it?) of talent ...

:wink:

Edited by ajlisko

I believe Brian also went with the Selden guys that joined the NY Kingsmen ... even think he was one of their DM's in 66 or 67 ... did he ever hook up with Sun eventually? ... Sky had a good influx of Los Hobres Del Ray in 69 ... along with Bpt PAL, St. Lucy's, Marksmen, and more ... it was a wonderful melting pot (heh ... get it?) of talent ...

I believe Brian was in the plan early on to be DM of the NY Kingsmen. Doug Smith might have been on the field along with Brian, or took over after. Not sure of how that turned out.

Brian did not go on to Sun as far as I know. Not sure what happened to him.

Pretty sure that's most of what Manny Salort was doing besides triple tonguing in those couple of years - "melting pot"

Pepe used to tell a story about slapping him across the face and telling him "You're gonna die in da guttah"...

Pretty sure that's most of what Manny Salort was doing besides triple tonguing in those couple of years - "melting pot"

Pepe used to tell a story about slapping him across the face and telling him "You're gonna die in da guttah"...

Well ... Pepe was close ... Manny was hit by not one, but two cars on I80 in 1976 ... he was an extraordinary talent ... I remember his first I&E appearance at St. Rose of Lima's show in 64 ... blew away the crowd ... and everyone was there ... Gaff, Baby John, Magnifico, Mallen, Bruen, hmmm ... not sure about your Ray ... Richmond (Cliff & Al) ... St. Kevin's sop quartet ... OLPH, Kingsmen, St. Pat's, Garfield ... you name it ... they were there ... and it was a Sunday afternonn to boot ... which means we were probably someplace else the night before in Jerseyland ... anyway ... Manny had his moments ... when he was on stage it was simply magical ... he would just captivate a crowd ... na dwhat Pepe said that day he slapped him was: God forbid I should ever hit you with a closed fist ... kind of reminded me about the story of Yogi going off on Pepitone when he used one of those new-fangled blow dryers on his hair in the locker room ... hmmm ... Pepe and Yogi ... surely some interesting conversations to be had there ...

• Like 1

Well ... Pepe was close ... Manny was hit by not one, but two cars on I80 in 1976 ... he was an extraordinary talent ... I remember his first I&E appearance at St. Rose of Lima's show in 64 ... blew away the crowd ... and everyone was there ... Gaff, Baby John, Magnifico, Mallen, Bruen, hmmm ... not sure about your Ray ... Richmond (Cliff & Al) ... St. Kevin's sop quartet ... OLPH, Kingsmen, St. Pat's, Garfield ... you name it ... they were there ... and it was a Sunday afternonn to boot ... which means we were probably someplace else the night before in Jerseyland ... anyway ... Manny had his moments ... when he was on stage it was simply magical ... he would just captivate a crowd ... na dwhat Pepe said that day he slapped him was: God forbid I should ever hit you with a closed fist ... kind of reminded me about the story of Yogi going off on Pepitone when he used one of those new-fangled blow dryers on his hair in the locker room ... hmmm ... Pepe and Yogi ... surely some interesting conversations to be had there ...

1964 was just a year or 2 before my I&E time - just about there - and those shows were magical, in large part due to the names you mentioned - in smaller part due to the names that judged us - Angelica; Sasso; Dreitzer; Hazlewood; you name it.

The Metro NY shows in my day had Ruben, Mickey McKuen, Pat Tully (OLC), me, Bruen, a girl from St Ignatius, it was wild - Ruben as might be expected Ruben won more than his share - anyone on that list could have taken anywhere between 1st and 6th on any given night. And that's just on baritone.

When I think of Manny I hear an absolutely flawless "William Tell Overture" triple tongued from start to finish.

Dose were da days...

When I think of Manny I hear an absolutely flawless "William Tell Overture" triple tongued from start to finish.

Dose were da days...

After WTO, Manny would go into his rendition of Paul McCartney's "Till You Were There" ... then he'd cap off some performances with a short tribute to his girlfriend Robin by playing "When the red, red robin comes bob, bob bobin' along" ... all three songs kind of became his trademark ... he also played WTO at some standstill shows Sky did in 66 and 67 ... they always used some "fill" time in those days ...