For those at the Retreat.....

Yeah. You guys are basically wrong about the whole "top corps" thing. Cavaliers are known to be some of the biggest a-holes at retreat, throwing things and cracking crass jokes. BD is sort of the same, at least in that they talk a lot and try to make other people break. Basically the only people that don't say/do anything are Cadets, SCV, and Boston. Crossmen too, but they haven't been at a retreat in awhile.

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is simply a disgrace. I'm not one who believes that drum corps is sacrosanct, but I think it speaks volumes to the management of these organizations that throwing things on the field at a retreat CEREMONY is tolerated in any way. It's interesting that we don't see this conversation taking place among the top corps. I'm all for having fun and I realize that retreat can be among the most memorable experiences in one's drum corps career, but I also believe that there is NO place for this sort of behaviour on the field.

This behavior happens in the World class retreat (Cavies and Jolly Ranchers - lot harder than gum balls) the only difference is you do not have some member from a world class corps crying about it on a post in DCP!

Do you honestly think the Management staff of either of these corps condone such action. NO! But at the end of the year with the one and only retreat of the season the members feel they can do stuff without consequence because they are kids trying to have fun in a event they are not accustom too!

They hear stories from their world class friends about retreat and try to emulate that here in our activity. Open Class wants to be just like the World class only smaller, but the mentality is different, that’s why this post exist. Just an kid crying over spilled milk.

Back in the day Finals retreat was different because it was the last one of many throughout the summer! So we had time to act up in other retreats but there were still a few who made finals retreat memorable! B)

It was not about respect but about release! We were respectful by showing up but the event was for us, not the fans. Other than hearing the scores, what kick do you get about seeing a corps in a block. :worthy:

This event is for the kids and enjoyed by the fans! They have showed respect and discipline all season! I for one, will not call them disgraceful over candy.

Waaaaaay back when, we stood at parade rest in retreat. No talking, moving, scratching or ordering pizza. HOWEVER, one year we toured with Phantom and were usually set up next to them. There were lots of snickers, and a few downright loud laughs exchanged. One of Phantom's members had a muppet of The Count from Sesame Street and could do a dead on impersonation: ("I love to count, ha ha ha one, two, three"). Our color guard also made a visit over to Phantom's snare line at one retreat, and I think there was a little kiss on the cheek thing going on.

This behavior happens in the World class retreat (Cavies and Jolly Ranchers - lot harder than gum balls) the only difference is you do not have some member from a world class corps crying about it on a post in DCP!

I suggest that you read this thread about the Cavaliers and their jolly ranchers. I didn't take the time to read it all again this morning, but if I remember correctly there are some members and alumni from Div. I corps who, as you put it, 'cried about it on DCP.' 19 pages, in fact.

FWIW, please don't think that I'm attacking you personally. I happen to agree with a lot of your post.

I think it's a bit ironic that a member of Oregon Crusaders was complaining about members of another corps annoying them. From what I recall, the only conversations I hadwith members of OC this summer were when they were busy bashing Impulse and Citations.

Heck, that even happened when they were standing in front of the drum majors after retreat at OC's home show.

I think it's a bit ironic that a member of Oregon Crusaders was complaining about members of another corps annoying them. From what I recall, the only conversations I hadwith members of OC this summer were when they were busy bashing Impulse and Citations.

Heck, that even happened when they were standing in front of the drum majors after retreat at OC's home show.

Yep, as I said, this is an attempt to do what OC members do best...COMPLAIN and GRIPE about because they feel they were cheated or whatever (Sounds like Spirit Members)

How classless are you, to get on here and dog another corps! <**> <**> <**> <**> <**>

Yea ContraMark, gum is the least of worries. There are many corps who did much worse.

One quick question:

Is THIS something we are supposed to clap for ?

( rimshot )

Guest Myusik4Jakassez
Yeah, we were standing right next to them. We actually had a lot of fun with it, we would pick up the gumballs and throw them back at them. It was funny because we were all marching to the gumballs to pick them up, and then we marched back to our spots on the field. We were like, do anything you want as long as you look professional, so it wound up that we would do stupid stuff like march to other people, just so we could say like two words to them. Then we would all do poses on a count of 3, and then go back to standing still. It was pretty funny.

In regards to the actual gumball thing, I know that they counted off and then all fired them at once, so we wound up picking up (in said manner above) and doing the same thing back with them. We didn't have a problem with it at all, we all had so much fun. It was probably one of the best moments on tour. Afterwards, we all chatted with them and discussed next year, we should get some kind of candy or something that wouldn't possibly dent the horns.

Now, maybe the members of the hornline were mad about it, after all we don't have to worry about denting drums (and obviously the pit equipment wasn't out on the field) but I'm pretty sure they were the same way. Bottom line, Revolution didn't mean to dent horns, they just meant to have a little bit of fun. Retreat this year was so much more fun than last year, last year I almost died it was so hot out and I didn't have any water for a while.

Actually, we were throwing them back too! I think one hit Jon's tuba, but it wasn't anything serious. It was a lot of fun.

While we're talking about retreat, did anyone notice when that girl from the Yokohama Scouts passed out? She literally fell right by my feet, but I wasn't sure if I should help or stay in the form.