OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Alberta All Girls were a drum corps in the 1970's and had a 'B band'. When the 'A band' were on their way to Europe in 1977, the 'B band' played for us at City Hall as a send off. Some older sisters got to go to Europe for 10 weeks while the younger sisters stayed home. The following is a photo of 'B band' rehearsal in 1978. Note the young lady in the foreground.

1978-rehearsal2-a.jpg

Toured from Alberta to Birmingham to see DCI and on to Florida in 1979. Note the young lady on the right. She is the horn player in the above photo. I was working and flew to Birmingham and continued with the tour. Even though I was older and instructor/drum major for the 'A band' in 1977, I was always proud of our 'B band'. I stayed with the organization until they closed their doors early 1980 They never toured Europe again.

1978-rehearsal3-a.jpg

Here are the enhanced versions:

1978-rehearsal2-a.jpg

1978-rehearsal3-a.jpg

Edited by byline

Sorry, duplicate post.

Edited by byline

Good Lord, Photobucket is running slow this morning!

While I wait: Just FYI, the photo-enhancement program I'm using is something called ShowFoto: ShowFoto I believe it's a free download, though I'm not sure if it's compatible with all operating systems (ours is Linux). I've been using the auto-correct color function, and for the most part, it's done a great job, though I got a message saying I need to be reducing the color contrast a bit. It's one of those things where it looks pretty good on my computer screen, but may not look so good on others.

Sue, what program are you using for these enhancements? They're really beautiful!

LOL, see the post above yours! :spitting:

In addition to ShowFoto, which has the auto-correct color function, there are also a couple of others I've used, depending on the function I'm trying to carry out: The Gimp and ImageMagick. For example, I used The Gimp to crop the borders from Linda's '79 DCI prelims photos. Before I'd been using ImageMagick to do that, but with that I first had to reduce the size of the photos to fit them on my screen, which meant that I lost resolution. The Gimp puts the entire photo in the window so that you can crop it without reducing the photo. If I'd known then what I know now, eh? When I get loads of free time on my hands, I may rescan all my photos and keep them at their original size, then enhance them. But, with all the pictures I have, I'll need about a month to do it! :laughing:

Speaking of time, I've got a Photobucket download that's been going for about 20 minutes now. Usually it just zips right through. I wonder what the problem is.

Edited by byline

Sue, what program are you using for these enhancements? They're really beautiful!

Agreed. Lee's pre-Blue Devils photo looks like a work of art. Puppet's photo is so well preserved, it changed little by a computer. My photos changed and the bright orange shows. Debbie's photos are wonderful enhanced. Wow and thanks.

As an aside, I had a 35mm Miranda. I took about 10 rolls of film to Europe. We were busy but tried to photo each country. I had to get the film developed in stages (a little low on cash then) and the first roll came back all blurred. A few weeks later I got the nerve to send in the second roll and it was fine. My first roll of film was just tainted. I put most of the photos in albums (lost the negatives). Any photos outside of an album are really faded. Others took photos too but many with instamatics. I also had a little Sony tape recorder and have the only recording of 1977 that has since been digitized by AAG. I'm glad I took my camera and tape recorder some 30 years ago.

Edited by lindap

OK, I've been having some fun playing with other peoples' photos. You'll have to tell me if these are the true colors or not; all I did was run the color-corrector:

BD212.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks Sue!

Beautiful! Thanks Sue!

You're welcome! This is kinda fun; I hit a button, and voila! Enhanced photo! :spitting:

1977 London, England. We had a day off. I was always behind the camera, so this photo is rare. Pam took a picture of hippie me (in the white blouse, 100% cotton and made in India). I was 22. Pam (23) kept telling me to pinch him and I said I just couldn’t. Got me and the lady in blue laughing. Worked hard in drum corps but we also had a lot of fun.

1977-Englandme-a.jpg

Photobucket download finally complete!

1977-Englandme-a.jpg

Corps or bands with the name Blue. Youth meeting youth that have a common interest. Candid photos from 30 years ago. Hmmm.

“The Blues” band performed for the Alberta All Girls in the yard of Bramley House, Enfield, England in 1977. It was nice that we were the audience.

1977Blues-1a.jpg

Relaxing and mingling after the performance.

1977Blues-3a.jpg

Some members of “The Blues”. Marching bands and drum corps having fun.

1977Blues-2a.jpg

1977Blues-1a.jpg

1977Blues-2a.jpg

1977Blues-3a.jpg