OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Oh my gawd I haven't seen them in ages!!!

Pam introduced me to some of her friends, whom as I, had aged out in the mid 70’s. We’d go to drum corps and winter guard contests, our way of transitioning. My photo of Maya, Pam and Judy; when we went to the ‘Artichoke Center of the World’ in 78 or 79 or thereabouts…

1978-calif.jpg

Always loved that photo . . . eeeee-arrrrrggggghhhhh almost perfect! :sleeping:

Poor Diane, she would NOT like to see that!

From L - R: Terri Wieske, Diane Bonte (Figuera), Pam Smith, ???, Kathy Rios, ???, Kathy Magee (Pierson), ????

Yes, they were amazing :sleeping:

1977-imperials-text-a.jpg

Saturday February 26, 1977 prelims at Rainier Beach High School 3:00 – 7:30 p.m.

Sunday February 27, 1977 championships at Seattle Center Arena 1:00 – 4:00 pm.

I remember meeting and watching Seattle Imperials winter guard rehearse at the arena. It seemed huge compared to the gyms we were used to, yet they were able to project to the audience with poise and confidence.

The uniforms were white leotards, navy blue gauchos and vest. The scarf was a brilliant red as were the shoes. The felt hats were blue, red or white. I remember their opening statement, heads bowed, slowly raising their heads to reveal the proud, focused faces.

I don’t recall the color of the flags, they were often integrated with the rifle and saber lines. The saber line was amazing as if the saber was an extension of the arm, the drill flowed, their style as if floating on the floor. I was awestruck as were many there. It was a beautiful guard program.

I think they were an all female guard 77 and the following year the winter guard went co-ed. If I recall the music was from the scenic cantata Carmina Burana – O Fortuna/Fortune Plango Vulnera by Carl Orff, also know as music from the Rickards beer commercial.

1980 was the only co-ed year, and the first year they didn't compete at WGI, there were males in the rifle line only. Most of whom, were Madison Scouts rifles in 1981. The guard stayed local, with the exception of Western Regionals in Concord, CA. They took 1st place by almost 8 points ahead of the second place guard.

As good as they were, the administration decided against flying them to Boston for WGI, with the upcoming and second consecutive year of the full corps traveling to Birmingham AL. The finances just weren't there...

1980 was the only co-ed year, and the first year they didn't compete at WGI, there were males in the rifle line only. Most of whom, were Madison Scouts rifles in 1981. The guard stayed local, with the exception of Western Regionals in Concord, CA. They took 1st place by almost 8 points ahead of the second place guard.

As good as they were, the administration decided against flying them to Boston for WGI, with the upcoming and second consecutive year of the full corps traveling to Birmingham AL. The finances just weren't there...

The Seattle Imperials guard winter/spring of 77 was magical. The guard contest in August 1977 was in a small gym in Denver from what I've read. I was on the administration of a winter guard circuit in Alberta founded in 1979. Seattle Imperials have a Facebook. OMG. March 1st and 2nd 1980 we had our first championship and Seattle Imperials winter guard were there.

Alberta All Girls drum corps folded end of 1979 due to finances. Shortly after we did winter guard again. Seattle Imperials drum corps were 15th in 1980. Good decision from the administration;-) What section were you marching? Was your arranger and/or horn instructor Mike Duffy? Here's a scan from 1977-78; please send it to those that were there :-) Thank you.

1978-dci2.jpg

Edit: I was secretary in 79; see below for portion of our newsletter and meeting agenda. Western Region comprised of 4 color guard circuits in the early 80’s: Northwest Pageantry Association, Alberta Winter Guard Association, Northern California Color Guard Circuit, Southern California Color Guard Circuit. In 1982 Western Regional Championships was renamed to Western Dream Pageant.

1980-wg1-a.jpg

1980-wg2-a.jpg

Edited by lindap

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

August 14, 1977 Alberta All Girls, Venice Italy

According to my notes, we stayed at a technical school, rehearsed from 9-11:30 a.m. and spent the afternoon visiting Venice; took a boat ride, House of Marco Polo, Theatro Bridge and watched glass blowers at work. I took this photo; in it are a few of the members, 2 chaperones and our banker.

Each girl gave our banker spending money at the beginning of tour. Every 3 days or so, we lined up while our banker allotted 15 or 20 dollars of our money. The 4 on the right, beside the street vendor, were on the baritone line. This was one of the few days we bought our own meal. I remember a soda pop was 500 lira and dinner was 5,000.

1977-12-new.jpg

September 7, 1977 Alberta All Girls, Edinburgh, Scotland

We arrived in Europe July 2, spent the month of August on the continent and by early September we were restless and homesick. The staff decided we’d take a side trip to Scotland; boarded the buses in Enfield at 7 a.m. for the train station, filled 2 train cars; arrived in Edinburgh 2:30 p.m.; toured the castle, ate at Wimpy’s.

According to my notes, we visited Royal Scots, Scottish United Services museums and National Gallery of Scotland. I really like visual arts; the Gainsborough collection was stunning; a great day for me; back on the train 11:00 p.m. and arrived in London 6 in the morning. Here’s a postcard I bought that day.

1977-scotland.jpg