OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

How lucky was I to get to spend the summer with these gorgeous women?

Let's see if I remember everyone...

Lynn, Brenda, Caroline, Jamie, Laurie, Lee, Sue, Tracy, Maxanne, Joanne, Tina, Laurel

Is that right, Lee?

Lauren Hansen?? Kinda looks like her.

And yes....70-80s tube socks and Dolphin shorts.....oooohhh yyeaaaaahhhh!!!! :tongue:

That's definitely Laurel on the end. The only one I am unsure of is the gal next to her. I think her name is Tina.

For all you fans of tube tops, tube socks and short shorts, may I present the 1979 Blue Devil Rifle Line:

BD79Rifles.jpg

OK, I have a question that has nothing to do with tube tops or short shorts, LOL! :tongue:

What are they standing next to? A culvert?

How lucky was I to get to spend the summer with these gorgeous women?

Let's see if I remember everyone...

Lynn, Brenda, Caroline, Jamie, Laurie, Lee, Sue, Tracy, Maxanne, Joanne, Tina, Laurel

Is that right, Lee?

The lady standing between me and Jamie is Stacy Stearns but you got all the others right, Chris!

And Sue, I don't really remember the circumstances of the picture but I think we're standing on some kind of dam.

Edited by elayes

And Sue, I don't really remember the circumstances of the picture but I think we're standing on some kind of dam.

Ah, OK, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out if it was a river or what. Thanks!

Western Regional Color Guard, Concord California, April 2 and 3 1977

1977-concord-scores1-a.jpg

1977-concord-scores2-a.jpg

Seattle was amazing!!! :sarcasm::worthy:

I used to take a journal and write notes or doodle during bus trips. “February 23, 1977 7:30 p.m. we left Edmonton (temp minus 10 degrees Celsius) for a winter guard contest in Seattle. Crow’s Nest Pass, Frank Slide, Cranbrook B.C., Bonner’s Ferry Idaho, Sandpoint, February 24, 1977 8:00 a.m. Idaho, evergreens, foggy, logging, mobile homes, Diamond Lake, Busby’s Resort, Camden, Horseshoe Lake, meandering streams, sunny day, Country Kitchen, Denny’s, World’s Fair, saw downtown Spokane, a building had a giant blue owl in flight painted on the wall, haven’t had a 25 cent coffee in a long time. Friday February 25, 1977 we’re on the road to Seattle highway 90 westbound. We practiced at the roller rink at Fairchild Air Force base, slept in bunks, Sprague, Seattle 264 miles. We’re expected to meet Stanley at 1:00 p.m. might be late. We had to smile during our guard practice, hard on the cheeks. Moses Lake, Washington, irrigation, cattle country, Vantage, Ellensburg, Columbia River, foothills, fresh snow, arrived in Seattle 1:30 p.m. it rained, Connecticut Street, Space Needle, West Seattle Freeway, Port of Seattle, Fisher Mills, rehearsals.”

Seattle was amazing!!! :unsure::blink:

Yes, they were amazing :laughing:

1977-imperials-text-a.jpg

Saturday February 26, 1977 prelims at Rainier Beach High School 3:00 – 7:30 p.m.

Sunday February 27, 1977 championships at Seattle Center Arena 1:00 – 4:00 pm.

I remember meeting and watching Seattle Imperials winter guard rehearse at the arena. It seemed huge compared to the gyms we were used to, yet they were able to project to the audience with poise and confidence.

The uniforms were white leotards, navy blue gauchos and vest. The scarf was a brilliant red as were the shoes. The felt hats were blue, red or white. I remember their opening statement, heads bowed, slowly raising their heads to reveal the proud, focused faces.

I don’t recall the color of the flags, they were often integrated with the rifle and saber lines. The saber line was amazing as if the saber was an extension of the arm, the drill flowed, their style as if floating on the floor. I was awestruck as were many there. It was a beautiful guard program.

I think they were an all female guard 77 and the following year the winter guard went co-ed. If I recall the music was from the scenic cantata Carmina Burana – O Fortuna/Fortune Plango Vulnera by Carl Orff, also know as music from the Rickards beer commercial.

The Open All Knights were primarily an instructor guard that performed in exhibition at winter guard contests in Seattle and Concord spring of 1977. The intent was to provide comic relief for the audience and performers after intense competition.

We had a similar ensemble in Alberta early 80’s, compiled a tape of music highlights of each guard, rehearsed for about an hour, performed as Hoser Revue dressed in jeans and lumberjack shirts. We had a few intentional equipment drops. The sound of the audiences’ laughter, the smiles on the performers’ faces while watching their instructors and judges do improvisational winter guard, was priceless.

The Concord contest had the Socerers Apprentice exhibition guard. Some names aren’t on the program, no worries, good times.

1977-concord5-a.jpg

Yes, and '73 and '74 as well....

Thank you. A photo I took of Ron Cain wearing my sunglasses; Anaheim in 74? Oakland 75? He was horn line tech for Alberta Girls winter 76-77, played soprano and when he played the flugelhorn, the sound was sweet.

1976-ron-cain-a.jpg