OMG Could We Have Been So Young?

Someone just sent me some old purple lancers photos on facebook...how would I get them on here? I got some old St Joes 68 VFW in Detroit.

September 7, 1977 Alberta All Girls, Edinburgh, Scotland

We arrived in Europe July 2, spent the month of August on the continent and by early September we were restless and homesick. The staff decided we’d take a side trip to Scotland; boarded the buses in Enfield at 7 a.m. for the train station, filled 2 train cars; arrived in Edinburgh 2:30 p.m.; toured the castle, ate at Wimpy’s.

According to my notes, we visited Royal Scots, Scottish United Services museums and National Gallery of Scotland. I really like visual arts; the Gainsborough collection was stunning; a great day for me; back on the train 11:00 p.m. and arrived in London 6 in the morning. Here’s a postcard I bought that day.

1977-scotland.jpg

Sitting 30 miles from Edinburgh looking at this. Not sure Edinburgh has modernised that much in last 32 years!

September 7, 1977 Alberta All Girls, Edinburgh, Scotland

We arrived in Europe July 2, spent the month of August on the continent and by early September we were restless and homesick. The staff decided we’d take a side trip to Scotland; boarded the buses in Enfield at 7 a.m. for the train station, filled 2 train cars; arrived in Edinburgh 2:30 p.m.; toured the castle, ate at Wimpy’s.

According to my notes, we visited Royal Scots, Scottish United Services museums and National Gallery of Scotland. I really like visual arts; the Gainsborough collection was stunning; a great day for me; back on the train 11:00 p.m. and arrived in London 6 in the morning. Here’s a postcard I bought that day.

1977-scotland.jpg

Spent a couple of weeks in Edinburgh, my mother's birthplace. Fell and rolled down the hill in the picture beneath the castle--with a box of meat pies, sad that. Loved the Dean Village. Hollyrood. Cool beans.

June 1976 edition of Information Drum Corps, Seneca Optimists DM in a new uniform

I recognize a few; had dinner with 3 of the ladies in this photo during a visit in 2006.

We had fun :-)

76-idc05.jpg

Linda, geez I haven't seen this pic since back in the day. That's Mike Williams one of the

76 drum majors doing the modeling honours. Lots of familiar faces.

Some people may recognize Dave MacKinnon from Bluecoats sitting

in the bottom left in the white shirt and all that hair. Thanks for digging that one up.

Sitting 30 miles from Edinburgh looking at this. Not sure Edinburgh has modernised that much in last 32 years!

If I recall this was the only day on our 10 week tour when we didn’t do laundry and/or rehearse and/or ride a bus and/or perform. It was a train ride-sight see day. I wrote in my travel log that at the Edinburg galleries, I saw the works of Titan, Raphael, Van Dyck, Rubens, Velasquez, Rembrandt, Hals, Vermeer, Poussin, Guardi, Gainsborough, Rodin, Degas, Delacroix, Gauguin, Monet, Cezanne, Renoir, Seurat, Van Gogh, Goya, Raeburn, Wilkie, MacTaggart, Bellows, Davis, Burchfield, Kantor, Zorach, O’Keefe, Weston, Strand, Marsh, Kuhn, as in Walter Kuhn and the Green Pom-Pom.

It was a long night train ride back to London. I remember being roused from sleep in the wee hour to show our passports to the inspector. One of the girls fell promptly back to sleep. Every half hour someone would walk by and in a low voice say “Passport please”. She’d raise her arm, passport in hand, drop her arm, back to sleep. Upon arrival at the train station 6:00 a.m. she said, “Last night I had the weirdest dream that we went through 10 countries in one night”. Those in the know simply smiled. I’d previously posted 1977 photo on page 58; scroll down to #575, note the five people on a bench.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry2314779

I recently found a site with a similar photo; scroll down to c. 1910; apparently the bench seats five :-)

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_buildings_r/...ots_greys_0.htm

This was taken late afternoon, the sun was starting to shine, I’m glad I had a camera in 1977.

1977-edinburgh1.jpg

Spent a couple of weeks in Edinburgh, my mother's birthplace. Fell and rolled down the hill in the picture beneath the castle--with a box of meat pies, sad that. Loved the Dean Village. Hollyrood. Cool beans.

Steep climb to the castle indeed and I’m afraid of heights! Sharon Mackintosh, one of our baritone players in 77, also took a tumble going down. Her notable quotable was “Watch that first step, it’s a Lulu!” Last of the photos I took of Edinburgh. Enjoy.

1977-edinburgh2.jpg

Linda, geez I haven't seen this pic since back in the day. That's Mike Williams one of the

76 drum majors doing the modeling honours. Lots of familiar faces.

Some people may recognize Dave MacKinnon from Bluecoats sitting

in the bottom left in the white shirt and all that hair. Thanks for digging that one up.

Glad you enjoyed the scan, found the newsletter summer of 2009 during a visit to GTA.

Here’s more from the same, I&E spring of 76 and the cartoons are always entertaining.

The runner might be from the Optimists Cadets. Thanks for replying to this post, Wendy.

It’s been 2,000 miles away and 33 years for me; reminiscing over the past 2 has been fun.

76-idc03.jpg

76-idc08.jpg