A Stupid Question About Kanstul Baritones

ravedodger

For the G Euph, most partials aren't too bad. But I like having it centered to compensate for chordage. Flatten major thirds, sharpen minor thirds. And the high C partial is hideous about being ultra flat along with all of it's alternate fingering cousins. Pretty much an all the way out to all the way in adjustment on that partial. And then there's the cool down factor, larger horns cool down more than smaller ones and thus become more flat before taking the field. Not that walking 10-30 minutes from warmups to field helps, plus 15 minutes in the near field cue. Not really much of an issue in the summer down in Texas, but when at DCA in NY.......

Edited by Shadow_7

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intonation is always relative, never absolute.

So a good player in a good ensemble is constantly adjusting, usually subconsciously.

I prefer to play models of G baritones that don't need a slide mechanism to acheive harmonically pure tuning.

And you know of such a beast?

For my money, an Olds Ultratone comes close...

[quote name='HornsUp' @ Nov 14 2007, 02:52 AM) *

Intonation is always relative, never absolute.

So a good player in a good ensemble is constantly adjusting, usually subconsciously.

I prefer to play models of G baritones that don't need a slide mechanism to acheive harmonically pure tuning

So you don't think that Zig Kanstul has made any improvements to his designs in 30 or 40 years? Kanstul says that the tune-any-note feature was built into their horns at the request of Wayne Downey when the Blue Devils played Kanstul.

Edited by regularsopguy

So I just received a Kanstul bari. It has the tune any note feature in the left hand. Is it supposed to have a spring on it? This one doesn't.

Also, if not, should the slide be all the way in?

What a stupid question Dave! :P

<Short thread diversion...sorry all.>

Hey all of your low brass hornline students from Simons Middle School are doing the TubaChristmas thing down at Disney. We are going to be rehearsing this Sunday from 1PM to 4PM and have a get together afterwards. Now that you have a bari you're in!! Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Jeez, this has gotten complicated over the years. First it was move the arm to here... here... here... (repeat four more heres) to learn trombone. Then it was marking 0, 1, 2, X (for both) to teach myself piston/rotor. Then it was first valve = right thumb, second valve = left thumb. THEN it was this third valve thingee and there ain't even a friggin' thumb for THAT....

Now ya gotta move a ####### slide on certain 1st valve notes. Slide and valve at the same #### time?!?!?!?!?! What kinda crap is this!!!!

I work with Unix computers (program, set up, database work) but this crap's somethin' else. :huh: :P ^0^ B)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

What a stupid question Dave! :P

<Short thread diversion...sorry all.>

Hey all of your low brass hornline students from Simons Middle School are doing the TubaChristmas thing down at Disney. We are going to be rehearsing this Sunday from 1PM to 4PM and have a get together afterwards. Now that you have a bari you're in!! Shoot me a PM and I'll give you the details.

Hey Matt, sorry I missed your post. I was finishing writing a show on Sunday. When is Tuba Christmas there? I may make it down for that.

Hey Matt, sorry I missed your post. I was finishing writing a show on Sunday. When is Tuba Christmas there? I may make it down for that.

http://tubachristmas.com/readtcloc.php?TCState=CA

ANAHEIM - FRIDAY, DECEMBER 21 - TIME: 2:00 pm

REHEARSAL: 11:00am Same as registration

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks James, now I have to see if there is a scheduled event for me up north that weekend. :P

Edited by ravedodger