Music stands in Mini Corps

And again..

DCA Mini-corps, at this point at least, is just a large, mixed ensemble at I&E's. So far, it IS a stage performance activity, judged ONLY by MUSIC crirteria. It IS different from field corps, according to the way it is judged.

Should ALL I&E contetants have their music memorized?

And is memorization any part of a real test of musianship?

<sarcasm=ON>

Here's an idea...

Ban all music stands - period. All I&E performers must memorize their piece(s). At the same time, bring in I&E judges with advanced degrees from the brass and percussion departments at major universities. And we need to have a piano at each brass I&E venue and make a piano accompanist optional. Then contact MTNA and see if you can get the whole thing sanctioned as a major competition.

<sarcasm=OFF>

IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<sarcasm=ON>

Here's an idea...

Ban all music stands - period. All I&E performers must memorize their piece(s). At the same time, bring in I&E judges with advanced degrees from the brass and percussion departments at major universities. And we need to have a piano at each brass I&E venue and make a piano accompanist optional. Then contact MTNA and see if you can get the whole thing sanctioned as a major competition.

<sarcasm=OFF>

IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T TRY TO FIX IT!

George,

the quote you captured (and your comment) was the essense of my argument.

When I ventured into your acitivity, it appeared that Mini-corps was, as I stated, a large, mixed ensemble; judged only by music criteria, and apparently (to me , at least) an extension of the other I&E categories. And, music stands, even in mini-corps , appeared to be accepted. It seemed to be a perfect match for my plans for a "stage drum corps".

It was obviously MY mistake that I overlooked the culture behind the I&E's. It's STILL drum corps, and people have sensibilities that I hadn't imagined.

Please forgive any slight. I'm obviously not a part of your world anymore, and didn't really understand that my comments would offend so. That goes also for my (many) posts to market our corps.

Never was there an intention to suggest that we're better than your programs out there. Just trying to boost my own program and my vision for where it can go, to potential players. And, I'll take responsibility for any language I have used that gave any other impression.

Hope that covers everybody. I'm exhausted!

Edited by brassomaniac

WOW,,, Looks like a few people got the tights in a bunch about this one,,,

To me it’s a no brainer, No music stands, if you do,, well a lower score would be in store for your group. Not that you play badly, just that you didn’t memorize you music. If you chose to have them OK, if not OK, If Im judging and see them,, that would detract from the performance score.

Why would the presence of stands detract from a music score if you were the judge? Doesn't a music judge evaluate how well the corps is playing? Stands in and of themselves have zero to do with that. Needing to use stands might mean that the mini-corps is not able to perform at the same level of 'clean' as with a memorized routine, and that is where the score might suffer.