Music stands in Mini Corps

I dont say you should ban stands from competition, just as long as you make sure to ban CHEESY POOTS from all competitions. That includes DCA, DCI, WGI, BOA and anything else that ends with I or A. I think that even Gary will concur that THIS is a good idea. At least that is what he told me in Silver Creek...sorry Chheeeeesssseeee.

:drool: SO!

"....well, that's just,like,...your opinion man..."

(The Big Lebowski for the unfamiliar.)

Music Stands don't have a place in mini-corps.

If you are going to compete, memorize your show.

My Opinion.

Edited by El_Chestus

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats all you got? ROFLMAO...just having fun Cheez...

DA

Ditto

want to chase musicians away - go ahead and ban music stands

We read music because we can.

It's part of the reason we'll have 2 separate mini-corps shows next year. And many more tunes in reserve for various gigs....

...because we can read the parts and pull out many tunes as needed.

It is also helping us to bring in new blood to the activity... which wouldn't be possible if we were insisting on the time and effort required for focusing on and memorizing only a very short program.

Now.. we WON'T be as clean as a corps that has spent the time and effort to memorize and focus on a short program. There ARE some very significant advantages to having your show memorized. But we'll have a larger book and (IMHO) a more interesting and nurturing music experience that fosters more individual growth and musicality.

disclaimer: We MAY even try to have one ten-minute set that is memorized this year.

But I doubt we'll be able to do that with the cartoon show I have planned. It would just take too much time to memorize, and we don't have those 5 hour blocks for repetitive run thoughs.

Plus, there's just SO MUCH MORE music to play!!!

I can't take it anymore, I think it's time for you to come down off your high horse. Are you suggesting that anyone that doesn't read music is not a musician? Anybody that can pick up an instrument and play one is a musician, good or bad, sight reading or not sight reading! I know for a fact that 95% of Mass Brass can read music, we have Music Directors, Berkely graduates and just plain old Drum Corps people, but we have chosen to "take the time and effort" to memorize. I think it is a total affront to all the musicians that perform in Mini Corps for you to think that if they don't read music that they are less of a musician than someone who does! "We read music because we can" unbelievable

I can't take it anymore, I think it's time for you to come down off your high horse. Are you suggesting that anyone that doesn't read music is not a musician? Anybody that can pick up an instrument and play one is a musician, good or bad, sight reading or not sight reading! I know for a fact that 95% of Mass Brass can read music, we have Music Directors, Berkely graduates and just plain old Drum Corps people, but we have chosen to "take the time and effort" to memorize. I think it is a total affront to all the musicians that perform in Mini Corps for you to think that if they don't read music that they are less of a musician than someone who does! "We read music because we can" unbelievable

Never said that anyone else wasn't a musician. In fact, went out of my way to say otherwise - twice.

But, I ALSO couldn't stand by and read that anyone who READS from music in drum corps is un-professional or should be embarassed. Which is how this thread got going.

Just making the point that we ought to to get credit because we CAN do it. Not penalized for it. I never said NO ONE else could do it.

Sorry you were offended - didn't mean what you apparently took it to mean.

I explained in lengthy terms why we used stands last year. And also said I RESPECT those who chose to take the time to memorize, AND acknowledeged the benefits of it!

If you're suggesting, though, that the ability to read music is NOT, in part, a measure of a musician - in fact a pretty important one - then, I'm sorry, but I disagree with you. It is an essential skill in almost all areas of Western Music.

And I guess that puts me on a high horse. Sorry.

Just to be clear...

I am at BEST a less-than-average musician, trying to maximize my experience with the limited skills I have.

I don't feel that I'm better than ANYBODY in drum corps, and I'm sure that I'm weaker than most.

Just defending myself against what I thought were two insulting remarks.

Guess I can note this as yet another subject not to be mentioned in corps circles. Hope everybody had fun. "nuff for me.

Edited by brassomaniac

Using or not using music stands to perform is part of what differentiates a drum corps from a stage band. I only knew one or two people who flat out can't read. Most of us can. We just choose to learn our music and really perform it. Use them if you have to. No biggie.

O.K......let's try this scenario. DCA compiles a chart between 5 and 10 minutes in length for brass and percussion. Provides chairs AND stands. Each group then proceeds to site read the show. Best performance wins.

Thats all you got? ROFLMAO...just having fun Cheez...

DA

Now Merle,....I was trying to be nice.

I almost forgot,....the reason DA wants me banned Is because he got mad at me once and in stead of throwing sunglasses at me he tried to stab me with a pencil......I ran for my life and was too fast for our revered(ok...and talented :P ) Country singer!!!

You'll be aiiiight Merle.

Using or not using music stands to perform is part of what differentiates a drum corps from a stage band.

You just hit the perennial nail on the head........and I may ruffle some of your feathers here, but this is MY opinion. Agree or disagree if you want.....that's up to you, but this thread is really starting to ruffle MY feathers!!!

Personally, I think that if you memorize the music, it IS harder than having the music right there in front of you. It's like buying a jigsaw puzzle with all the little pieces numbered, and an instruction booklet to go along with it, telling you exactly where all the little pieces go. Where is the challenge to that??? Challenge = Difficulty

When you memorize the music, it is more difficult to remember where all the nuances happen, the articulations of each note, where all the dynamics go, and so on. When you have the music on stands right there in front of you, it is like having that instruction booklet right there with you....it's a crutch!!! There...I said it.....a CRUTCH! It's like saying "we are not completely prepared....we know most of the music, but not sure of some things, so we are going to have our music on our stands here for reference, and do the best we can possibly do under the circumstances".

I have members in the Golden Eagles who can't read a single note of music, but #### can they play! And yes....we do have those 5 hour rehearsals just so I can teach them the notes and rhythms. Once they get the notes and rhythms down, THEN we can start working on the performance aspect of our show. And yes.....it DOES take us about 5 months to get all the notes and rhythms down! (maybe that is why we started rehearsals a month ago to learn 3 completly NEW songs)....Stuff like this is exactly what makes Drum Corps so difficult, and what differentiates Drum Corps from any other orchestra, stage band or concert band.

Those who have the music memorized for competition are more prepared than those who use music stands, and should be rewarded for it. Heck...it IS a competition after all, isn't it??

Again....agree or disagree, I really don't care......BUT....I will continue to make sure the Golden Eagles are prepared to compete (by NOT having music stands) and bring you the most exciting show DCA and MCA will see in 2008!!! You can count on that! We may or may not win (and yes...we ARE in it to win it), but we will also not be disappointed if the crowd gives us 4 to 5 standing O's during our performance, KNOWING we gave the crowd what they came to see!!!

Any by the way, you can all catch the Golden Eagles this Saturday, Nov 3rd in Cinnaminson, NJ to give our final performance of the 2007 season at the Music Express "Expressions" show. Hope to see you all there! (shameless plug)

You just hit the perennial nail on the head........and I may ruffle some of your feathers here, but this is MY opinion. Agree or disagree if you want.....that's up to you, but this thread is really starting to ruffle MY feathers!!!

Personally, I think that if you memorize the music, it IS harder than having the music right there in front of you. It's like buying a jigsaw puzzle with all the little pieces numbered, and an instruction booklet to go along with it, telling you exactly where all the little pieces go. Where is the challenge to that??? Challenge = Difficulty

When you memorize the music, it is more difficult to remember where all the nuances happen, the articulations of each note, where all the dynamics go, and so on. When you have the music on stands right there in front of you, it is like having that instruction booklet right there with you....it's a crutch!!! There...I said it.....a CRUTCH! It's like saying "we are not completely prepared....we know most of the music, but not sure of some things, so we are going to have our music on our stands here for reference, and do the best we can possibly do under the circumstances".

I have members in the Golden Eagles who can't read a single note of music, but #### can they play! And yes....we do have those 5 hour rehearsals just so I can teach them the notes and rhythms. Once they get the notes and rhythms down, THEN we can start working on the performance aspect of our show. And yes.....it DOES take us about 5 months to get all the notes and rhythms down! (maybe that is why we started rehearsals a month ago to learn 3 completly NEW songs)....Stuff like this is exactly what makes Drum Corps so difficult, and what differentiates Drum Corps from any other orchestra, stage band or concert band.

Those who have the music memorized for competition are more prepared than those who use music stands, and should be rewarded for it. Heck...it IS a competition after all, isn't it??

Again....agree or disagree, I really don't care......BUT....I will continue to make sure the Golden Eagles are prepared to compete (by NOT having music stands) and bring you the most exciting show DCA and MCA will see in 2008!!! You can count on that! We may or may not win (and yes...we ARE in it to win it), but we will also not be disappointed if the crowd gives us 4 to 5 standing O's during our performance, KNOWING we gave the crowd what they came to see!!!

Any by the way, you can all catch the Golden Eagles this Saturday, Nov 3rd in Cinnaminson, NJ to give our final performance of the 2007 season at the Music Express "Expressions" show. Hope to see you all there! (shameless plug)

AGREED. Well said Frank.

The only way memorizing the music is harder is that it takes longer. And that's time spent on retention, not execution or interpretation.

So I guess bands use music stands, and drumcorps just tape the miniture version of the music to the bells of their horns or gontlets. My bad, I've totally misunderstood the definition of drumcorps for decades.