Music stands in Mini Corps

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VE is now part of the criteria,.................look in box 2 on the sheet,.............

Can't you just accept that it was MY IMPRESSION?

And I've already owned up to being wrong?

And apologized about everything to everyone?

Don't worry I won't bring my stage band and stands back there.

Why are you beating me up on this?

Edited by brassomaniac

Jeesh Gary.. you too?

I already hollered Uncle!

I think you have become oversensative on this Tom,........................take a minute and review your posts, and see that even when some levity has been put out, you are very defensive in your commentary,.................you want to use stands, use them,............but if I were judging, I would look at it in the context of DRUM CORPS,..................and in drum corps music stands have a place,...............................at rehearsal,..................and sometimes not even at rehearsal,.................

George,

the quote you captured (and your comment) was the essense of my argument.

When I ventured into your acitivity, it appeared that Mini-corps was, as I stated, a large, mixed ensemble; judged only by music criteria, and apparently (to me , at least) an extension of the other I&E categories. And, music stands, even in mini-corps , appeared to be accepted. It seemed to be a perfect match for my plans for a "stage drum corps".

It was obviously MY mistake that I overlooked the culture behind the I&E's. It's STILL drum corps, and people have sensibilities that I hadn't imagined.

Please forgive any slight. I'm obviously not a part of your world anymore, and didn't really understand that my comments would offend so. That goes also for my (many) posts to market our corps.

Never was there an intention to suggest that we're better than your programs out there. Just trying to boost my own program and my vision for where it can go, to potential players. And, I'll take responsibility for any language I have used that gave any other impression.

Hope that covers everybody. I'm exhausted!

I'm not George, but you can call me anything you want as long as you can look in the mirror and call yourself the same thing. :P

Here's my final take on the subject: I have attended the National Finals of the MTNA Brass Competition. Some musicians use the music, others have it memorized. Same for the Chamber Ensemble (3 or 4 musicians) competition. The judges must be provided with copies of the music for the pieces being performed. I don't think those judges give a rat's behind if the competitor reads from the music or has it memorized. And these competitions have monetary awards for the winners.

I think people should think long and hard about making "rules" for an activity that was initially intended to be fun and open to all. When DCA (or any other sactioning body) is willing to give monetary awards to those who win mini-corps and the other I&E competitions, then they can start dictating silly rules about music stands and such. In the meantime, let's all shut-up and go practice!

I think you have become oversensative on this Tom,........................take a minute and review your posts, and see that even when some levity has been put out, you are very defensive in your commentary,.................you want to use stands, use them,............but if I were judging, I would look at it in the context of DRUM CORPS,..................and in drum corps music stands have a place,...............................at rehearsal,..................and sometimes not even at rehearsal,.................

I've apologized for ALL of my commentary.

And accepted that I mis-judged the culture behind the whole thing.

And some still pile on. And it's started to become insulting.

This is the way the community deals with those who have different views?

Edited by brassomaniac

Professionals play WITH music stands.

Professional orchestras and very bad wedding bands

Edited by Storkysr

So, are you saying that in the context of DRUM CORPS there should be no Bb/F instruments??? (Sorry, guys.)

I do agree with you, Gary, that it should be up to the individual or ensemble as to how they wish to approach the competition. AND, both you and Tom (and anyone else) are entitled to your opinion. I like Burger King and some folks like McD's. Doesn't make the McD's people wrong, just different. And, truth be told, sometimes I'll eat at McD's by choice - same as I would sometimes need a music stand and other times prefer to memorize.

Why is this so hard for people to understand???

i get that some of the groups throw a mini corps together at the last minute. as a spectator IMO that is the only time a stand is necessary at DCA's. if you've had all season to learn your music i, personally, can't comprehend why you haven't. IMHO you owe the fans that much at the very least. as a spectator i personally think a musician connects with the audience better if they don't have their head buried in a music stand. i think there are many things that not having a music stand conveys to the audience.

of course what do i know? i'm just a mini corps spectator who hasn't picked up an instrument in quite a while. the majority of time in drum corps i've spun a flag and there are no options for music stands when that is the part of the activity you love the most.

Ditto

(want to chase musicians away - go ahead and ban music stands)

want to drive fans away-don't learn music adequately

(We read music because we can.)

You read music because you have to.

I personally don't want to sit through an amateurish inadequately rehearsed performance. And I wont

Edited by Storkysr

Personally, I think that if you memorize the music, it IS harder than having the music right there in front of you. It's like buying a jigsaw puzzle with all the little pieces numbered, and an instruction booklet to go along with it, telling you exactly where all the little pieces go. Where is the challenge to that??? Challenge = Difficulty

When you memorize the music, it is more difficult to remember where all the nuances happen, the articulations of each note, where all the dynamics go, and so on. When you have the music on stands right there in front of you, it is like having that instruction booklet right there with you....it's a crutch!!! There...I said it.....a CRUTCH! It's like saying "we are not completely prepared....we know most of the music, but not sure of some things, so we are going to have our music on our stands here for reference, and do the best we can possibly do under the circumstances".

I have members in the Golden Eagles who can't read a single note of music, but #### can they play! And yes....we do have those 5 hour rehearsals just so I can teach them the notes and rhythms. Once they get the notes and rhythms down, THEN we can start working on the performance aspect of our show. And yes.....it DOES take us about 5 months to get all the notes and rhythms down! (maybe that is why we started rehearsals a month ago to learn 3 completly NEW songs)....Stuff like this is exactly what makes Drum Corps so difficult, and what differentiates Drum Corps from any other orchestra, stage band or concert band.

Those who have the music memorized for competition are more prepared than those who use music stands, and should be rewarded for it. Heck...it IS a competition after all, isn't it??

Well said, Frank.