Should Mini-Corps Stay Home From DCA

Memorize or not?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Music Allowed in Mini-corps competition?

• Musics stands should NOT be allowed
    • Penalty for use of music stands
    • Music Stands should be legal - but I don't care for them
    • Ok with musicians; ok with me
    • I don't see what the big deal is - I play the flute!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moved to the Bored Forum with the rest of the OT stuff.

Ahhhh. Thanks

Errrr ... and where can I find the Bored Forum?

Edited by drumlaw80

Don't see why we keep trying to find ways to exclude each other. Does it hurt our egos that bad to get beat by a corps using music stands because they played better?

Seriously, sometimes stands are necessary, I know they were when we brought Carolina Gold to DCA in 01. Using stands allowed us to have a solid performance, good crowd reaction (because we were more confident in our playing), and helped those charter members get excited enough that it really drove the corps to the field as a class A corps for 02.

Penalize? Prohibit? seems like anti-growth, even if your intention is to punish a corps that outperformed you from behind some stands (which is truly where a lot of these discussions on this topic seem to really be about)

I think if you check this thread or the other "stand" threads you'll find that the majority that doesn't want stands are the top minis out there, it has nothing to do about winning or losing, IMO it's about commitment to the activity. I just don't think it's in the spirit of Drum Corps to use stands. If all the minis Corps were to pull out music a couple of weeks before DCA and throw it on stands and perform, I could almost guarentee that the quality of the show would be fair, to say the least, as opposed to the high caliber of entertainment you get now. To me it's a commitment issue, takes longer to memorize, therefore your playing longer, which improves your tone and quality, ultimately a better product is performing. Say it's"to serious" or "this is supposed to be fun" all you want, but the bottom line is the product you put on the stage.

I think if you check this thread or the other "stand" threads you'll find that the majority that doesn't want stands are the top minis out there, it has nothing to do about winning or losing, IMO it's about commitment to the activity. I just don't think it's in the spirit of Drum Corps to use stands. If all the minis Corps were to pull out music a couple of weeks before DCA and throw it on stands and perform, I could almost guarentee that the quality of the show would be fair, to say the least, as opposed to the high caliber of entertainment you get now. To me it's a commitment issue, takes longer to memorize, therefore your playing longer, which improves your tone and quality, ultimately a better product is performing. Say it's"to serious" or "this is supposed to be fun" all you want, but the bottom line is the product you put on the stage.

hear hear,....................or,....................here here,...................or something,..........

Ahhhh. Thanks

Errrr ... and where can I find the Bored Forum?

Lee ~

ask for access in This Thread. after it's granted you will find the DCP Community Discussion - Off Topic Forums down towards the end of the main page. :)

I am pretty sure we'll have enough time to memorize

If members of mini-corps want to use music stands, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Fran

Use a music stand if you want. Let everyone know that you don't have your music memorized. Why else would you have a stand??? You will also let everyone know that your show was NOT important enough to memorize. It's pure laziness!!! I can't believe that there are musicians out there who are defending the use of music stands at a Judged Competition. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Go ahead, use a music stand if you want. They should NOT be illegal and no points should be taken away if stands are used, HOWEVER, if you are tryin' to get a Medal, one should think twice about how PROFESSIONAL your Corps will look not having your Book memorized.

Using a music stand at a Judged event is like wearing sunglasses on stage. They both provide a false sense of security. Leave the sunglasses in the car and the music stand at home.

That's all for now.

I am Nick. I play Soprano. I play Trumpet too........but not in Drum Corps.

Edited by SoloSop420

Use a music stand if you want. Let everyone know that you don't have your music memorized. Why else would you have a stand??? You will also let everyone know that your show was NOT important enough to memorize. It's pure laziness!!! I can't believe that there are musicians out there who are defending the use of music stands at a Judged Competition. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Go ahead, use a music stand if you want. They should NOT be illegal and no points should be taken away if stands are used, HOWEVER, if you are tryin' to get a Medal, one should think twice about how PROFESSIONAL your Corps will look not having your Book memorized.

Using a music stand at a Judged event is like wearing sunglasses on stage. They both provide a false sense of security. Leave the sunglasses in the car and the music stand at home.

That's all for now.

:huh:

Edited by MelloTrump

That's all for now.

Who wants to start the new poll:

Should sunglasses be allowed in competition

1. No, because we are the DCA Police and we want to take all the fun out of competition just like DCI did

2. Yes, because it is a free country

3. Yes, but only the Renegades as they look cool as hell in them!!!

I vote for #3 ^0^