Hops Blog

I don't think American Elegy should be done at all, narration or no. It was written for the memory of the victims and for the hope of the survivors. If they do it, they should be really careful to have a visual presentation that will represent the same mood and feeling of the original piece.

And the guard should definitely not use rifles.

Well considering that Frank Ticheli is now big Cadet fan and got to wish us good luck before finals last year, as well as the fact that, he's probably very happy that the cadets are using his music again. I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

Also... you have no idea what it'll sound like. Jay Bocook has a way with things like that.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had many pieces put on the field about tragedy, death, war, revolutions, whatever. The big difference to some might be geographical proximity and more importantly, time.

Just off the top of my head, "Miss Saigon," various requiems, Colts' "A Vietnam Oratorio," "Peterloo Overture," some Shostakovich stuff, Bluecoats' "Homefront: 1945," Suncoast Sound's Vietnam War dead tribute.

I'm sure if I went through my repertoire list, I'd find a lot more.

Tragedy has long been a well of inspiration for composers and the result has been a way of healing for audiences. The Cadets are using the music of a great composer to convey emotion as well as pure drum corps. It's not like they're going to stage the blowing up of the Murrah Federal Building or have a Timothy McVeigh look-alike as a central figure in the guard.

I hope we all let this thing germinate in the minds of those bringing it to the field and then sit back and try to appreciate it once it hits the field. It might be too emotional for some and not emotional or literal enough for others. But I expect it will be memorable and you will not be leaving during it to get a hot dog.

Michael, There is plenty of tragedy today...disasters like Katrina and the recent southern California fires the loss of our finest patriots in Iraque.

The American public is not stupid, they know trajedy very well.....what we need is a positive message.Now I know the Cadets last year tried to undo the 2006 confusion about their Alice show..but this is a leap....children were killed.....No! this is not the place regardless of the historical need to represent the Columbine trajedy in this material.

Ben Martinez

Edited by Ben Martinez

I don't think it is our place as observers, listeners, designers, etc. to determine the meaning of a song when it is right there for us.

Privilege of connecting two things remains the priilege of each

individual (e.g.: I thirsty: drink a glass of water) ; but this

privilege isn't to be exercised publicly except in emergencies

(there are no aesthetic emergencies).

-john cage

Privilege of connecting two things remains the priilege of each

individual (e.g.: I thirsty: drink a glass of water) ; but this

privilege isn't to be exercised publicly except in emergencies

(there are no aesthetic emergencies).

-john cage

I'm afraid of old ideas also....history tends to repeat it's self.

So are you trying to insinuate that if the Cadets do this show, they are promoting some other completey insane idiot losers to commit this kind of act again, and that by them doing it, they are trying to rub the Columbine kids faces in the tragedy? IT IS A SONG. I don't think of going to war every time I hear Star Spangled Banner, nor do I think that anyone playing that piece is intentionally rubbing salt in the wounds of the enemy. People, IT IS A SONG, and I would HIGHLY suspect that it would be done in INCREDIBLY GOOD TASTE and with the REVERANCE it deserves. Give it the chance that you really don't want it to get. This would be an interesting conversation if say the Vanguard or Regiment or ANYONE else was going to do it, but it is the Cadets so lets get our hating motors running......................

Edited by 84skyrydr

Folks, music is meant to be played. I can't think of another group of kids better suited to play it, save maybe BK. That said, I think many of the posts here are total overreactions of gun-violence. I know that if anyone is sensitive to how tasteful the show is done, it's the people taking it on.

So if they do this show, yes, they tread on thin ice. It takes great groups to do so and excel, and we all know Garfield can do this. I think we all are pulling for them to do it right, but for now, relax. They're smart people.

Let me add a bit to what you said, besides the music performance people on DCP and in the stands, how many of the casual drum corps fans would actually know that American Elegy is related to the Columbine incident? In fact, how many of the casual fans actually heard AE? Just because a select few have played it and know why it was commisioned doesn't give it a reason to not be performed.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Purple rules!

Well considering that Frank Ticheli is now big Cadet fan and got to wish us good luck before finals last year, as well as the fact that, he's probably very happy that the cadets are using his music again. I don't think it's that big of a stretch.

Also... you have no idea what it'll sound like. Jay Bocook has a way with things like that.

I was waiting for someone to say this. From what I understand, Ticheli has the same kind of involvement with 'these' cadets as david holsinger had in the early 90's. If you honestly think theyre going to go screwing around with his intentions then you must be out of your mind.