FYI

Just to let all you veteran's know....you can salute the American flag per Military regulations. In other words, if you are not in uniform or in a uniform you can salute the Flag.

U.S. Navy General Orders

1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.

7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.

10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

That is all...

Marvin H. Fontaine, Jr., DT2, USN, 1986 - 1991

Just to let all you veteran's know....you can salute the American flag per Military regulations. In other words, if you are not in uniform or in a uniform you can salute the Flag.

I heard this last year but didn't hear if it became a regulation yet. Thanks.

I heard this last year but didn't hear if it became a regulation yet. Thanks.

Act of Congress September 1, 2007

U.S. Navy General Orders

1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.

7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.

10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

That is all...

Marvin H. Fontaine, Jr., DT2, USN, 1986 - 1991

I guess they didn't teach you the 12th General order

12. To walk my post from flank to flank, and take no #### from ANY RANK!

THAT...is all

Funny, I thought that the 12th General Order was: "Don't f*** with the SEALS. :P

Although I may be wrong, its been a few years.

Brian Downing

US Navy: 1983 - 1999

US Army 1999 - 2005

Ahhh yes the SEALS, the only Navy men that don't invoke thoughts of the village people. Also the only Navy men that can creep out the Marines (which is always fun to watch). In fact, they kinda creep everyone out, but in a "I'm glad they're on our side" kind of way.

And here is a fun bit of trivia for you troops and ex- troops. "when is the only situation you can salute with you left hand" I'm sure this only pertains to the Army, but the answer helped me make Sgt. And no it's not if your missing you right arm.

Edited by pvt_cairns

That's ok though because half the people in the stands and not in the stands for that matter don't have the common sense or courtesy to stop during the National Anthem. I ended up falling out of my corps line because the people up front wouldn't stop. There was no way I wasn't going to. But hey I'm just a dumb Spec4 :laugh:

Ahhh yes the SEALS, the only Navy men that don't invoke thoughts of the village people. Also the only Navy men that can creep out the Marines (which is always fun to watch). In fact, they kinda creep everyone out, but in a "I'm glad they're on our side" kind of way.

And here is a fun bit of trivia for you troops and ex- troops. "when is the only situation you can salute with you left hand" I'm sure this only pertains to the Army, but the answer helped me make Sgt. And no it's not if your missing you right arm.

Oh oh I know this one!!!!! I think it is the Drum Major for the Fife and Drum Corps out of Ft Meade is the only one allowed to salute with his left hand.

Ahhh yes the seals, can't they be trained to do cute tricks and clap their hands (er flippers)? But seriously...NO one freaks out us Marines. Except Force Recon. That is all.