Ghost Riders 2008

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith, As my bio can attest I started in drum corps playing with a corps that had no valves and as far as horn voicings there was a soporana,tenor sop french horn and a bari that was as little as a french horn. Imade the transformations from no valves all the way to 3 valves in my playing years.als saw the activity transform into what it is today. Call me a traditionalist but I enjoyed the activity better when there were color pre's and soloists marched and played the entire show not stand on the sidelines. I am not trying to put down the activity as it is today but you have to give credit to us veterans who helped make the activity what it is today Jerry Dunn

Keith, As my bio can attest I started in drum corps playing with a corps that had no valves and as far as horn voicings there was a soporana,tenor sop french horn and a bari that was as little as a french horn. Imade the transformations from no valves all the way to 3 valves in my playing years.als saw the activity transform into what it is today. Call me a traditionalist but I enjoyed the activity better when there were color pre's and soloists marched and played the entire show not stand on the sidelines. I am not trying to put down the activity as it is today but you have to give credit to us veterans who helped make the activity what it is today Jerry Dunn

Ahhh Jerry!!! Now I know who you are. I think at this point though we all need to just accept what is going on because the 1960's and 1970's won't come back. I always wanted to go back in time to make changes in things but the reality is...time keeps moving, we get older and that's life. Yes ALL of us drum corps veteran's paved the way for corps just like the kids today can look back in 30 years and say the same thing.

Ghost Riders from Parts Unknown have formed an alliance with the Rochester Crusaders for the 2008 season.

Ghost Riders’ Co-Directors Doug Mellenthine and Rod Keppel along with Crusaders’ Director Mike Linton announced that they will be working closer together in 2008. With this alliance, Ghost Riders will be transitioning to Bb horns and are looking forward to help support the Crusaders in their quest to improve on their 2007 finish at the DCA Championships.

Of importance, The Ghost Riders will still maintain their valued friendships and connections with Mighty St. Joe’s, Empire Statesmen and The White Sabers.

“We are blessed to be in an area of many quality Drum Corps and with the transition of going to Bb’s we anticipate attracting not only experienced Drum Corps and Band members, but also musicians from the area colleges and schools” stated Doug Mellenthine.

The Ghost Riders has a limited parade schedule and perform in at least 5 standstills including the Mini-Corps contest in Harrisburg Pa. in April and the DCA Championships over Labor Day week-end in Rochester, NY.

The Ghost Riders are also planning on more corporate performances and are actively pursuing this avenue of entertainment.

The Ghost Riders are pleased to have retained Donny Allen to arrange their program for the coming year. The competitive music for 2008 will be Ghost Riders in the Sky, Red Pony (Aaron Copeland) and William Tell Overture. Parade Tunes will consist of Black Saddle, Rio, Battle Hymn of Republic and others yet to be decided. More arrangements will be added for indoor shows and performances.

The Ghost Riders, along with openings in the horn line, are also looking for additional percussionist and guard members. Anyone wishing to join this fine organization, you can contact Doug Mellenthine MelloDoug1@aol.com or Rod Keppel rkeppel1@rochester.rr.com . (The Ghost Riders Practice in Batavia NY)

If you want the entire Drum Corps experience, and are looking to march in a top 10 DCA Corps, consider the up and coming Rochester Crusaders. You can contact the Recruiting Coordinator Brian Wilt at brianwilt@rochestercrusaders.org Visit the Crusaders at www.rochestercrusaders.org

If you are considering an easier schedule and want Drum Corps “lite”, consider Mighty St. Joe’s Alumni Corps as some Ghost Riders also perform with MSJ. You can contact Bob Wielgosz at awielgos@rochester.rr.com (Mighty St. Joe’s practices in Leroy NY). Visit MSJ’s at http://mightystjoes.com/

I would like to say that it was a pleasure to be a part of the Ghost Riders organization for the last 2 years. I would like to thank Rod, Doug, Donny, Joey and all the other Ghost Riders for making it a great couple of years.

Bob

Edited by trptrex

I would like to say that it was a pleasure to be a part of the Ghost Riders organization for the last 2 years. I would like to thank Rod, Doug, Donny, Joey and all the other Ghost Riders for making it a great couple of years.

Bob

Hey Bob, From the sounds of your post, where you goin?

Corky was never in Ghost Riders was he?

Honestly, every time I arrange anything or teach a note, it is a tribute to Corky, because that is where I learned most of what I know about drum corps.

Joe's is doing more of a tribute to Coz...but this is about GR.

Donny

they could give corky a tribute to being a self centered **** he walked out on every corps I was in

they could give corky a tribute to being a self centered **** he walked out on every corps I was in

Maybe it was you? LOL

Joey Pero lives in New Jersey, and doing great from the info I have been getting. He is no longer with Ghost Riders but is certainly welcome in my book. I miss him alot.

And although Zarblap feels the way he does baout Corky, there are reasons for everything that we all are not privy to. He is still was and is an outstanding music educator and arranger. He taught many great performers and educators from upstate NY.

Donny

Joey Pero lives in New Jersey, and doing great from the info I have been getting. He is no longer with Ghost Riders but is certainly welcome in my book. I miss him alot.

And although Zarblap feels the way he does baout Corky, there are reasons for everything that we all are not privy to. He is still was and is an outstanding music educator and arranger. He taught many great performers and educators from upstate NY.

Donny

Amen!