SCV Bottle Dance

There was a youtube video I once saw when SCV pulled out the bottle dance in the 80's. Everybody went crazy, and it was so loud I'm guessing it caused the music tair. I just found it unbelievable that the crowd could be that loud and the members couldn't even hear one another. Anybody who saw this live or actually marched it, I'd like to know more about what went on while performing it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pays to remember it was in the Montreal Olympic Stadium, which had a tremendous reverberation. I was at the run-throughs during the afternoon when Madison Scouts were trying to figure out the reverb from the overhang and there was about a three second echo. Also, there was a vacuum cleaner running on the other side of the stadium and I kid you not that it was practically obliterating the sound of the corps on the field, at least from where I was sitting. I was astounded by that. So, it doesn't surprise me that an instantaneous reaction of recognition from the audience might be transferred to the field and cause the tear. I spoke to members of SCV some time afterwards and was told one side could not hear the other when the audience went bonkers. And many—if not most—in the audience weren't even aware of the tear until the recordings came out...due to the audience reaction.

There was a youtube video I once saw when SCV pulled out the bottle dance in the 80's. Everybody went crazy, and it was so loud I'm guessing it caused the music tair. I just found it unbelievable that the crowd could be that loud and the members couldn't even hear one another. Anybody who saw this live or actually marched it, I'd like to know more about what went on while performing it.

I was in the stands that night. I personally believe that SCV pulled out the Bottle Dance during that week. With the lack of practice, and a lack of watching the field commander, the major side to side phasing occurred. I do not believe the loud crowd was the major cause.

Also, I believe some of the crowd loudness came from the design of Olympic Stadium.

This is just my opinion from being there that night. B)

Ray Ammons

De Queen, AR

Edited by MB3 Soprano

Also, if you watch the DVD, you can see the Dm losing the count...some people followed the tempo, some followed his hands.

but the tear didn't harm the score. Back then, all judging except for GE stopped at the 11:30 mark (shows were 11:30 to 13 min, and a double gunshot went off at 11:30)....so regardless of how BAD the tear was, the only thing that mattered was crowd response...which they DID get in spades!

At its core, music is about its emotional impacting an audience. Period. If an Opera makes the audience cry because it was so moving, it doesn't matter whether the tenor was perfectly in tune, missed a few words, or faced the wrong way.

The 1982 Bottle Dance was one of the high moments of drum corps history, and there have been precious few drum corps that have ever affected a crowd like that,. A tear in the music, visual errors, or anything else you can find does not diminish the incredible impact the 1982 Vanguard had on the audience.

It is easy to get lost in the ticks and pursuit of technical perfection, which is probably the reason that there are so many boring drum corps these days.

Lee Rudnicki

It was probably a mix between the crowd going nuts and the energy running through everyone's vains.

Aside: Unless I'm mistaken, that was the second to last time Santa Clara would perform Bottle Dance. They would do it once more in 1992 for their Fiddler on the Roof show.

I could've sworn the Youtube video in question was '79.

I could've sworn the Youtube video in question was '79.

I know the volume on that one was crazy too, but I remember the bottle dance being fairly clean.