Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we have Gladiators vs. Samurai

I could go with that...

:tic: add a ninja or two for kicks (pun intended)

the fan expectations have already hampered this show, because there's no way it can ever equal the original.

see: cadets 1994, cadets 2003, vanguard 2005, etc.

See Cavalier's 1995... It can be a good thing too.

Edited by jjeffeory

I think they had this one saved up until the corps size increased to 150 strong. The increased size I would imagine would go mostly if not all to the hornline. That 15 member increase on the hornline will make a big difference, as I would have questioned if the current size of the hornline would have been powerful enough of any corps to make that strong attack like they did on G bugles in 81-82.

Great choice. I too have longed for the return of Spartacus. Red and Black capes a must. Another consideration would be some black in the uniforms. I don't think all white uniforms for this show would work. Either all black uniforms or white jackets and black pants with red trim.

Lastly, the audio clip seems slightly different, a little watered down than I remember on my recording. I remember the hornline after the opening long note attacks playing the wicked 16-note licks, not the bells/xylophones. Have I been humming it wrong all this time? LOL

81 and 82 are slightly different arrangements.

I guess I struck a chord, especially with you. I wonder if I would have taken your argument more seriously if you were not only a former member of PR, but also a member of the very corps that marched Spartacus! Biased-much?

And you've got it wrong, old chap. There's a giant difference between a piece of music that is classic and enduring and that is well, old and out of place (see: anachronistic). Good music INDEED transcends chronology. That's the difference between the bachs, the mozarts, the beethovens, the mahlers, and the no-name composers of yester-century. I guess you're not understanding the term "anachronistic" particularly well (those online dictionaries can be a little tricky sometimes!)

Also, hat's so anachronistic about drum corps these days? To me, it's a whole new beast, evolved, different, of it's particular time. I am positive today's drum corps is vastly different from the past, and I do expect drum corps to change in the future. Now, the term "drum corps" is definitely anachronistic, but the form and the idea of drum corps is not. Again, we're just arguing semantics here.

Lastly, I don't quite understand the logic you use. Since I think Spartacus is boring, that equates me as someone who lacks necessary experience to appreciate it? Huh? Also, I don't quite follow how a disagreement in preference and opinion makes me a vapid, trend-following consumer.

Simply put, I don't like Spartacus. I don't understand how that makes me stupid.

Biased-much? Nooooooooo, just opining. But, if being biased means you can't have an opinion - DCP turns into a pretty quiet place, and quite frankly a terrible bore. There are no biases here, are there?

I think an anachronism is anything that is bound to a specific chronology or period in time, which when placed outside the period with which it is indentified, seems really odd or curious. It's not too complex to grasp really, and I didn't need to look it up, thank you. Assume-much?

Khachaturian is a "no-name?" Of yester-century? REALLY?? He was born in 1903 and died in 1978 - three years before we played one of his most famous ballets. The body was still warm while we were learning our drill in the winter of 1981. I think we have our yester-centuries confused. The old chaps you cited were all from the yester-yester-century, or the yester-yester-yester-century. Check facts, and don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

FYI, SCV won in 1978 playing this no-name's music. The Gayane Ballet, since you've never heard of it. :sshh: They reprised it in 1987 and kicked arse with it.

Drum corps is hardly a new beast, yet it is less evolved than most forms of entertainment. Traveling exclusively by bus, touring only in the summer, sleeping on gym floors, limiting the stage to a football field, recording judge commentary on cassette tapes...there are so many guys with great vision in this activity who yearn to break free of these -and many other - self imposed boundaries...yet here we are in 2007...driving a steam engine on the information highway. Is that not an anachronism? That's Hopkins' frustration. That's Gibbs' frustration. For better or worse, it is what it is, an activity trying to figure out how to survive as a business. That's my frustration.

If something is an anachronism, is that necessarily a bad thing? I take from your comment that it is - which is why I suggest something contemporary, something hip, something totally 2007, something 21st century - something that would ease that irritation that you may feel when something doesn't sit too well with you in terms of the day and age.

Good music DOES transcend time - no argument, dude. So does bad music - disco still sucks, but somebody still feels at home in polyester and stacked heels, and that crap just won't DIE!!

I realllly hate that old fart Beethoven - yet PR has played some of his works. I won't be biased-much when PR announces "Ludwig" as their show concept. No cheerleading for Beethoven. Or can I still be biased toward PR and not like what they're doing?

I love most Russian composers because their lives were filled with angst over the limits placed on them by Communism, thus there is a great deal of obvious passion in their composition. Even if some of them were ardent Communists - they were punished anyway. (There's an anachronism...communism.) I don't find passionate expression boring in the least. Neither does Phantom Regiment, I guess. So, thus the high level of approval on this board for this announcement. Fanatics - not just "Phanboys" - have been wanting this for a long time - which makes me wonder if you should consider another screen name.

Hey, you blamed your age for your perspective on this - not me. I was just piling on and giving you my unsolicited opinions. I didn't ask for yours. Opinions are free and fair game here, if you have not noticed, and anything you say just might come flying right back at you. Be prepared, tenderfoot.

So you don't like Spartacus. Cool. But if you can find where I said that your opinion of Spartacus makes you stupid, I will give you a 50 yard line seat to DCI finals. Yes, you'll probably be the only stick in the mud.

Lighten up, Francis!

Edited by 81regiment