Phantom Regiment announces 2008 show...SPARTACUS!

There haven't been music selections announced. Spartacus could very well just be the theme-- like the 06 approach to faust-- kind of a juxtaposition of pieces fitting of the storyline.

Uhm, Spartacus was a slave, of course he had problems with authority and got in trouble for rebelling... And I while I appreciate your efforts in trying to make some eloquent correlation or parallel between a roman slave and an ancient Greek state, there really is no significance to the argument other than they have similar names which is to be expected since both civilizations were rooted in Magna Graecia... You can theorize as much as your heart desires that his name is directly related to Sparta, but that's like saying medical terminology is directly paying homage to ancient Rome by utilizing the Latin language, because his name didn't become symbolic until he became a roman leader (Had he remained a slave, the correlation probably would never have been noted). Post hoc doesn't really work here. It is to be expected that Greece through Antiquity would carry into the next Empire just by the nature of evolution.

rant off?

I still think it is bizarre that we have romans, samurai and now celts. Bring on the Greeks?

did you run out of ink? pixels? I just pointed out that I wasn't confused. I've said since my first viewing of the movie that 300 had a very apt score for a drum corps treatment. Now we have a possibility of using a portion of it. I guess I would also point out that Regiment can pay homage to the 81-82 productions without drawing an exact quote of the music.

Let's see what occurs once Regiment announces the music titles.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow :P

I read everyone of those and they're hilarious

SPARTACUS, bring back the shields too~

Phantom, you have my permission to win DCI in 2008.

my wife has one at her parents' in illinois. gonna be a heck of a freight charge if they come out west....

One of my favorite shows ever, a bit nervous really, I mean what if it’s a let down and not as good as back then? I’m sure the music will be fine though. They really did push the activity with this show; they came out with garbage cans full of guard equipment. Up to that point, it was typical to have 2 maybe three flags tops…it was the epitome of 80s style drill and power music even though a few corps had already moved on to the new by then, which is why I think it did not do better in the standings - yet it helped start the new era with strong themes carried by the guard and through out the entire corps. I'd like to see the chains again. It was a draining show, draining is good, you felt worked

huh? between myself and my wife (a phantom alumna) we could come up with 2 flags and a sword/rifle thing in '81 and the shields and shroud; three flags in 82, besides the slave chains and the kabuki for the slave battle, used by Amy (Engelhard) Barnowski, the shields and shroud returned. hardly "garbage cans" of guard equipment when you compare it to what some other corps drag out on the field each year.

granted, there were multiples of the same flag for some of the guard members due to staging issues, but come on :blink: ....three flags? garbage cans? btw, the garbage can (and the brake drum) were in the pit.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I recall them using these rolling garbage cans (there were big green, plastic garbage cans with 2 wheel rollers) to get the equipment on the field in 82 –I’m not saying it was a bad thing, it was just odd at the time.

now you got me a wondering

These shows also started the gong wars – corps were allowed to park some pit stuff and as I recall, Regiment had the first gong parked on the field –soon after, everyone had gongs. The first year of wide gong usage resulted in watching many tip over on the field due to weak stands and stong winds

I thought there were more flags in 82, let me check my ipod on a fast forward–

Opener – the 79 flags T’ed-up with a red thing on them (1), move to chains and some fake blood ribbons in the front line, now on to orange, purple and silver flags (2), dancing tambourines with streamers, another fake blood thing and one shield, yep – he’s dead (bad edit there from DCI) – more chains, {Yeah freedom}, now the red/purple dot things, purple and white flags (3) –horn lines throws back red flags (4), here comes the ‘body’, kind transparent purple and white flags (5), different from the first purple and white flags –hold up body and done

So by my count 82 has 5 flags plus the extra stuff like dancing dots, chains, tambourines, blood effect...

at the time, the guard had a lot of equipment

I was mainly talking about 82 so I don’t feel like checking 81 just now although that too is on the ipod (as is the entire top 12 from 74- the midseason 07)

Not being argumentative you just got me thinking about it - so I checked

byw, who is you wife, if I may?

Edited by cowtown

In 1981 I "dragged" the shields onto the field in a rickety, old, two wheeled shopping cart that lasted, oh, about two weeks. From then on they were carried out to the field.

RIP John Brazale :angel: :angel: :angel:

Crunchy...Would your charming bride be Jan???? Send her XOXOXOXs from the Bralows.