Just wondered what you would do in this situation

It is getting towards the end of the season. Something in the show just isn't being cleaned very well. It is an amazing part of the show, but the section just can't quite get it clean. Do you think it is better to water it down slightly, so that it becomes clean, but not as exciting visually/musically as it was? Or is it better to leave it in and just take the errors as they may come?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends...I would do a cost benefit analysis between the potential gain in points and how important lighting the crowd up is.

If I decide that we probably aren't going to be contending for the title, then I leave it in, let the members work it more and do the best they can - and smile when the crowd goes crazy for it.

If I decide that we have a shot at some competitive success that we haven't had up until that point, then I might water it slightly to allow the members to better succeed. The crowd won't be as excited, but it may be the right choice if we are more concerned with getting a few more points.

I would definitely have a talk with the staff to try and figure out why it isn't working - it maybe be as simple as changing the move for two or three people.

Ya, I'd say busting out the hose is probably the best bet, especially if you already have parts of your show that light up the crowd. That late in the season, if something isn't clean it's probably not going to be, and in the end of the season you really have to ask yourself "is it DVD quality?"

Just my $0.02

If it's not relatively clean towards the end of the season, it's not going to get clean. By that point, Effect scores can be affected by sloppiness when other corps are nailing their books, producing a double whammy of getting hurt on technique (execution) and effect. While we can say one is one thing and the other is another thing, sloppiness in something that should have been altered or cleaned at the end of the season can have a detrimental affect on effect, because the effect you want isn't coming across due to the sloppiness. I'd rather see something clean that doesn't quite take me to the pinnacle of excitement than something that is so sloppy (at the end of the season) that I wonder, "Now why didn't they do something with that?" Staffs are pretty savvy, though, with this sort of thing.

It is getting towards the end of the season. Something in the show just isn't being cleaned very well. It is an amazing part of the show, but the section just can't quite get it clean. Do you think it is better to water it down slightly, so that it becomes clean, but not as exciting visually/musically as it was? Or is it better to leave it in and just take the errors as they may come?

This has 05 Blue Devils written all over it.

Well, is it an amazing part of the show as it is? I mean, does the dirt get in the way of the moment's excitement? Or is it exciting regardless of the dirt?

This is something you (assuming "you" are asking this question from the perspective of an instructor/designer/program coordinator) can't decide without consulting a 3rd party observer. Either a judge, or someone who's opinion you trust who isn't spending 24 hours a day thinking about your show should tell you if the effect is coming across the way you want it to despite all the dirt. YOU know what it's supposed to be, so find someone who doesn't know what it's supposed to be and see what they think.

If it's coming across the way you want it to, I say leave it in. If you water it down it'll be clean, but what will it be besides clean? I mean, what's the point of performing something perfectly if that which is perfect isn't interesting? Yeah I know, you're concerned about scoring. But watering something might make something cleaner and might make your performance and ensemble scores go up a bit, but what will happen to GE if you've made something less interesting?

"Perfect" is what wins championships.