Pioneer 2008 show announcement

Does it matter where a corps places to say whether or not the corps is teaching good things.

I sure hope not.

I would rather learn a lot, meet great people, have an amazing time, and not worry about where anything else falls, over concerning myself with scoring/placement, in 10 years I don't think people are going to remember they got this place or that place at whatever show, as much as they are going to remember the moments they shared. Just my thought.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know...

I still think that it is more than semantics that has my good friend Jenny unfurled.

The word "reflections" hopefully will serve to give us a visual tie in that has been lacking in recent years' programs.

I know I watched some shows last season that I kinda said...hmmmm. The title of the show and the music didnt seem to be totally in common either. The Colts come to mind. Because it was Michael Cesario's show, it was totally cool. BUT....

I didnt get into a verbal disagreement with their staff over their word selection. I guess people are entitled to put their thoughts out on this forum, but it just seems that much is being made out of little on this subject. They are only words in a title, for God's sake.

Donny

Look... when it comes down to the choice of this show or MY FAIR LADY...I guess you know which way I leaned.

Actually, I LOVE the music in "My Fair Lady"...it's one of my all time favorite musicals. :)

But the music you selected also sounds great, so best of luck.

-It is a fact that Pioneer has been last or second to last often.-Where are your facts? What is the difference between an English folk song and Celtic folk songs? Is there a difference? Can you show me a reputable source that discusses the correlation between Celtic culture and the musical works of Holst and Grainger? I'm waiting.

-Your examples of Cavies 1997 and Glassment 2003 are not the same thing. If I am going to design a show and say it reflects on a certain culture or group of people within a culture, I would probably want to include relevant repertoire. Example, I want to design a show about Italian opera and "reflect" upon it, but then I program French opera selections. Does this make sense? No. Are there similarities between French opera and Italian opera? Yes. Nevertheless, it does not make sense as it relates to the theme and stated purpose of the show.

-Finally, I'm not going to divulge my credentials on this joke of a forum, but I will tell you I have much more experience with Grainger and Holst than a high school bando.

Are Cap Regiment and Southwind going to place higher than Pioneer in '08? Anonymous snipers have no credentials. :)

I would like for Pioneer to provide an outstanding experience for their members as well as provide them a vehicle for competitive success. Just thought I would clarify.

And it seems as though you firmly believe that this literature will not allow competitive success. I do not agree.

Thanks!

Donny

-

-Finally, I'm not going to divulge my credentials on this joke of a forum, but I will tell you I have much more experience with Grainger and Holst than a high school bando.

That statement means you have none. You have experience with Grainger and Holst how? I mean, if you are going to make bold statements throughout this "joke of a forum" then back up or defend yourself! As I tell my students...if you make statement, DEFEND IT! Don't just say "because."

Drum corps people are passionate about this activity and most can and will defend their comments, statements and opinions. If you want to stay and spew your hate at least Defend yourself!

I would like for Pioneer to provide an outstanding experience for their members as well as provide them a vehicle for competitive success. Just thought I would clarify.

Well Pioneer does provide an outstanding experience for their members and that has led to competitive success. Your assumption is that they are "bad" because they are at the bottom of the World Class...how many corps are in this class? better yet, if all DCI corps were put in one class, would Pioneer be at the bottom? NO!