Orange Bowl Memories

This past weekend I was surprised to learn that the Orange Bowl is being torn down. Do any of you have Orange Bowl Drum Corps memories you wish to share??

To start it off, this is a memory my brother often has of 1970 VFW Nationals. He was a member of the Kilties, who marched last as the defending champion. Two dominant memories stick out - the palm trees in the end zone and the crowd standing and going beserk as the Troopers company front went past them in their closer. With the Kilties having to follow them, it was a definite "Oh Sh#@t" moment.

Edited by Jim Anello

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past weekend I was surprised to learn that the Orange Bowl is being torn down. Do any of you have Orange Bowl Drum Corps memories you wish to share??

To start it off, this is a memory my brother often has of 1970 VFW Nationals. He was a member of the Kilties, who marched last as the defending champion. Two dominant memories stick out - the palm trees in the end zone and the crowd standing and going beserk as the Troopers company front went past them in their closer. With the Kilties having to follow them, it was a definite "Oh Sh#@t" moment.

Also 1970 VFW Nats for me. That was our first year doing the Peace Sign form, to "White Rabbit". Tony *hic* Schlechta, the head of the VFW corps show and also announcer, had publically stated that we did not deserve to march at the show as we were forming a Peace Sign.

Well, as we formed the Peace Sign (it was our out of concert number) and turned to the crowd...the entire stands was a sea of flashbulbs. Seems the rank and file VFW member didn't really care.

1971...on the way to Dallas for VFW's we stopped for a week or so in Miami, stayed at a private school rehearsing...and played a Dolphin/49'er summer game half-time. It was televised in it's entirety according to my parents. It rained like crazy on us...seemed like a monsoon. The next day there was a picture of our timpani line on the front page of the main Miami newspaper, water just spraying off of the drum heads in every direction...a neat picture.

Hated it in 83. Not just because it was where the final screw went down...just an ugly, rickety stadium in a bad neighborhood.

1970 VFW Nationals in a season that was kinda up and down for The St. Ritas Brassmen, we were knocked out of finals by the last corps to go on in the afternoon, If I remember correctly it was the Belleville Black Knights. It was the last time I went through a full pre-performance inspection and my first "Nationals" competition. I had competed in the World Open but this was the 1st AL or VFW. The disappointment was very intense but I learned so much from the experience.

......The next day there was a picture of our timpani line on the front page of the main Miami newspaper, water just spraying off of the drum heads in every direction...a neat picture.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was how Blue Man Group started. b**bs

On a local note, the Boston Crusaders almost won the VFW title in 1970, but did earn their place in percussion history by winning the drum trophy. BAC snare drummer Charley Poole continues to give back to the activity.

I went to Miami in 1983 because I hadn't missed a DCI World Championships week since I aged out in 1977, and because I wanted to catch The Cavaliers playing my "Jade." I remember the small numbers in the stands, perhaps because Miami was perceived to be so far out of the way, but also perhaps of concerns about going to the city the same year as the infamous Liberty City riots. I suspect that drove away more than a few.

I was there for 70 VFW. I remember getting lost trying to find the stadium and having trouble getting directions as it took me a while to find someone who spoke English. Its an OK stadium for drum corp, of course made a little better by the 70 Troopers. The Cotton Bowl in 71 was an improvement.

"Orange Bowl, 1961 VFW Nationals":

Tons of memories from this one: Canbridge Caballeros incredible fourth place finish, and this the first time they ever competed in a Nationals (A record perhaps?), Chicago Cavaliers win over defending Blessed Sacrament, a surprisingly strong effort from Bellville Black Knights that took them past St Kevins, who had finished second in the prelims. Madison Scouts great color guard, the Chicago Royal Airs great third place finish in Prelims, and Garfield Cadets with their "West Side Story" tunes.

Reading Buccaneers win in the "Seniors", and the "Retreat" that featured an "On the Field" brawl between a soon to be folded former National Champion St Vincents Cadets, and the St Marys Majestic Knights. Tony Schlecta droned on with the scores on throgh the melee, oblivious to the fracas on the field.

Prelims being the strongest in memory with future stars Blue Rock, Vasella Musketeers, and St Raphaels locked out of the night show.

Great memories!!! :lol:

Elphaba

1970: +1 on the palm trees. I remember standing under them after we got done. Also +1 on the "Oh Sh#@t"---after 2 straight titles, we knew it wasn't to be this time. End of an era for the Kilties--last year with a large number of members from the championship years. We ended up 6th or thereabouts.

Also recall the Cavaliers coming in as a strong contender but in 11th or so after prelims due to a penalty, going on early as a result, and still coming back to finish.....second? I think.

Prelims in some open field somewhere, in typical VFW fashion. Hotter than...uh, August in Miami?