Why college football has parity

Because you're a girl.

:P

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know if you're a girl or not, I don't know you lol

Nope. I'm a dude :P

But here's the thing... according to most of you any potential member can get the "corps experience", the sense of brotherhood/sisterhood, the emotional experience ANYWHERE in DCI... so what SHOULD be one's determing factor on auditioning? Location? Why? I think I should go to a place that fulfills my other desire, performing, shouldn't I? If I like a corps more than the rest because of the shows the put on... isn't that a GREAT reason to travel half-way across the country to do so?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. I'm a dude :P

But here's the thing... according to most of you any potential member can get the "corps experience", the sense of brotherhood/sisterhood, the emotional experience ANYWHERE in DCI... so what SHOULD be one's determing factor on auditioning? Location? Why? I think I should go to a place that fulfills my other desire, performing, shouldn't I? If I like a corps more than the rest because of the shows the put on... isn't that a GREAT reason to travel half-way across the country to do so?

I agree with you in general, but he does make a point that apparently having testicles is a membership requirement, so why is geography less strange?

I agree with you in general, but he does make a point that apparently having testicles is a membership requirement, so why is geography less strange?

Good point.

We don't let women into professional men sports (well, most...) either, so why can't we have 1 or 2 corps out of... 20 or however many we have... being all-male? I see nothing wrong with it, it's just a totally different attitude and mindset with a bunch of guys versus a bunch of guys and girls. Plus, I PERSONALLY have never met a girl that said, "I wish the Cavies would let girls in..." and actually meant it. I think plenty of people have accepted the fact they want to be all male and that's OK.

Edited by SF2K4

Not to stir the pot too much, but there are two levels to your point. I think the earlier post positing a geographic requirement implied a DCI-imposed restriction to which all corps are subject. The Cavaliers' (and Madison's) biological requirement is self-imposed. They think they can do well by only recruiting from half of the population.

If a corps thought that its interests were better served by only accepting recruits from a certain geographical area, it can make that call. But, I see a lot of resistance to that being imposed on all corps from above.

In the end, I come down on the side of giving maximum possible opportunities for success to all, as opposed to hobbling the most successful to allow the lesser ones to "catch up".

As far as how this relates to the original college football parity analogy, it's extremely tangential at best. NCAA caps the number of scholarships, not from whence the men hail. The teams can travel to the ends of the Earth to get recruits, just so long as they don't exceed the maximum number. DCI already does this.

As for the original thought, count me in as someone who is rather skeptical of the analogy in the first place. College football is a series of one-on-one contests, with (as others have pointed out) an objective scoring system. Each team in each contest employs tactics to diminish their opponent's strengths and maximize its own. Drum corps is a contest of all-against-all, and each one performs their routine to the utmost and dares the others to top it.

Again, I'll join others' arguments who say your best analogy is with figure skating. Even there, however, the scoring system is more objective than in drum corps. All judges rate the performance from the same POV (no separate captions), the extremes are tossed out (or only a subset of scores are randomly selected to count), and the point values for each element are well established beforehand.

There is no parity in drum corps because it's not set up that way ... and never will be.

Edited by Dale Bari