Why college football has parity

Television.

There have been lots of crazy upsets in college football this year. Aside from Louisiana St., all of the usual national championship contenders are out of the picture, and Kansas (Kansas??) is in it. One of the reasons that some of the experts are giving for all of the parity this year is due to TV. There are alot more college football games on TV now than there were 20 or even 10 years ago. Every Division 1-A (now called FBS) team on average now has more of their games televised than before. Back in the 90's when I was a student at Western Michigan University, the only way I got to see the Broncos play was if I was at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo. This year, I got to see them play 2 or 3 times on ESPN2 or Comcast Local. On saturday, there are games practically all day long on ABC, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2, Fox Sports Net, NBC (just Notre Dame home games), and lots of regional networks. As I'm typing this, I'm watching Akron vs. Miami. More teams on TV more often means more schools that seem like a great place for a top football recruit to go play football. So the talent gets spread around more evenly.

DCI, on the other hand, doesn't have the demand that college football does to be on TV. That's not news to anyone here, of course. If only DCI had more than 2 hours of TV time. Then maybe they could show more of the lower-tiered WC corps and the OC corps. This could have the same effect that it has possibly had on college football. More corps on TV could mean more corps that seem like a great place to march for a young musician or guard person, spreading the talent around more evenly. As it sits right now, there seems to be a "top 6 or bust" attitude by many people interested in marching drum corps. They try out for a top corps and either make it and march there, or they get cut and march nowhere.

What do you all think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be cool for more local shows to show up on local networks, i agree. dont know how to go about making that happen.

maybe if corps used more narration, maybe dci would become more mainstream and fans not familiar with the activity would be instinctively drawn in to it.

Edited by Jared_mello

I started a thread about parity a couple months ago. I 100% agree with you, what DCI needs is more exposure.

While showing all corps on tv may be a stretch, maybe DCI can recognize all corps on it's broadcast? That would go a long way in letting a kid know the "little corps in the next town" is indeed recognized by DCI and that marching outside of the "top six" may be a worthwhile cause.

I don't think that to create more parity exposure to the entire public is necessary. But what about specifically targeting local music programs? At least more than is being done now.

I don't think that to create more parity exposure to the entire public is necessary. But what about specifically targeting local music programs? At least more than is being done now.

I do think it is necessary. You can target local music programs all you want, go in and talk to them and recruit from them all you want. But if your corps isn't on TV and there are other corps that are, you can't compete with those corps that get the exposure you don't.

maybe if corps used more narration, maybe dci would become more mainstream and fans not familiar with the activity would be instinctively drawn in to it.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <**>

there is no "parity" because drum corps is not a sport.

"parity" implies that given a level playing field, the best group can "win" an objective measure. but in drum corps, there are no objective measures.

the competition aspect of drum corps is unilateral. that is, no corps can actively affect the performance of another. so, the best corps get the best talent because they are the best corps. the only way to build parity is for a "lesser" corps to become "elite" by figuring out how to win the game with the talent and staff they have.

no amount of television time is going to change the fact that the blue devils kids can march when they walk through the door, whereas somewhere else they must be taught.

[edited for poor grammar]

Edited by whitedawn