NORTHEAST INDEPENDENT!

Highly Doubtful that any of this happened. I love NEI...but she most definitely got it right. It wasn't their execution where they got dinged, but it was their vocab. Anyone with a Dance background saw this a mile away, and probably would have rallied for a lower execution score. Hopefully, they can take utilize a more contemporary dance style to combat their rigid upper bodies. . .it's getting better, but they were placed correctly in movement last year. Sorry. :thumbup:

I certainly hope that she did not take any heat for her adjudicating...b/c it was pretty good from top to bottom.

I AM LOVE WITH YOU NOW!

(AND YES I have a formal dance training)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that their movement was ever bad, if you look at recaps, they had a decent score in movement in prelims, then suddenly dropped to 11th in finals?

Score doesn't mean good technique.............it just mean they had a variety of skills that were executed well together.

But that doesn't mean the skills didn't have flaws.

i admire their commitment to the equipment work and recognize consistently strong performance abilities however the intellectual quality of the programming often lacks in comparison to others in their class.

Edited by dugg

You feel that their show last year lacked intellectually? Did you see the same show I did? I felt it was incredibly intellectual. Maybe it wasn't as intellectual as... snow, or... batons, but it was an incredible show, full of emotion and a current topic as well.

Back to the movement, people keep saying it's bad, it's poor, blah blah blah, I think what really needs to be understood is, IT'S DIFFERENT. Because they aren't doing double turns like Pride, does not mean their movement is lacking. I thought their athletic movement was very stylistic of the show they were perfoming. The show was about war, I personally loved seeing stiff rigid bodies being thrown around because IT MAKES SENSE, and thank GOD there was someone there to break up the classical music and movement. I would hate to watch a show about war and see nothing but ballet turns. Nei in their earlier years had more "classical" movement and nobody had a problem with it then. Now they try something out of the box and get ripped apart for it? Gag, get over it. They were incredible. I would LOVE to see you write a show about war and see it come anywhere close to what they accomplished.

NORTHEAST YOU ROCK!

i respect and value your commitment to your team and appreciate your zeal in defendng them so passionatley!

i love color guard fans!

Edited by dugg

I teach cologuard in FL, and my kids love seeing nei. They come out with something different and there is always something new to notice when you watch their shows. I went to Spinfest as I'm sure some on here did, and I found it so motivating and fun. I just think it's funny how some of you choose to critique the moevment when one of their instructors taught the movement class. Now I know your not saying the staff isn't talented, but seeing those performers at spinfest going on one right after another put it in perspective for me. Don't get me wrong I liked every group that went and showed their talents at spinfest however, I believe someone said nei's movement was nowhere near the rest of top 5. Mia had some interesting comments and things to change for some of the IW guards and I distinctively remember her giving wonderful comments all around, but she said nei was perfect, and didn't change a thing they did. I know some you out there are formally trained and may even have degrees... I'm not downing you either, I'm just saying Nei has a different style and sometime judges/other people don't always get it so there for not rewarding them the right score. Mia did say she would take her kids out to compete and they would never get the scores or placement they deserved b/c it was way different and she was ahead of her time, but a few years later her kids got the scores and numbers b/c people came around. I think Nei might be ahead of the times in some aspects, and isn't IW class about innovation and pushing things to new levels? So I applaud the design and thought into equipment,movement, and show desgin. If any nei members read this don't take it personally, my kids love watching your shows and seeing new innovative things with such excellence. Thank you!

I teach cologuard in FL, and my kids love seeing nei. They come out with something different and there is always something new to notice when you watch their shows. I went to Spinfest as I'm sure some on here did, and I found it so motivating and fun. I just think it's funny how some of you choose to critique the moevment when one of their instructors taught the movement class. Now I know your not saying the staff isn't talented, but seeing those performers at spinfest going on one right after another put it in perspective for me. Don't get me wrong I liked every group that went and showed their talents at spinfest however, I believe someone said nei's movement was nowhere near the rest of top 5. Mia had some interesting comments and things to change for some of the IW guards and I distinctively remember her giving wonderful comments all around, but she said nei was perfect, and didn't change a thing they did. I know some you out there are formally trained and may even have degrees... I'm not downing you either, I'm just saying Nei has a different style and sometime judges/other people don't always get it so there for not rewarding them the right score. Mia did say she would take her kids out to compete and they would never get the scores or placement they deserved b/c it was way different and she was ahead of her time, but a few years later her kids got the scores and numbers b/c people came around. I think Nei might be ahead of the times in some aspects, and isn't IW class about innovation and pushing things to new levels? So I applaud the design and thought into equipment,movement, and show desgin. If any nei members read this don't take it personally, my kids love watching your shows and seeing new innovative things with such excellence. Thank you!

Well, I do respect the loyalty of NEI's fans. . .even when wrong! :laughing:

The fact of the matter is no one is going to change their stance on this. . .the reality is they finished 11th in movement vocab. My posts are telling you why. . .and please stop making the judge an scapegoat. You can argue it all you want. . .but the 11 will be there forever! No amount of clinicians or compliments can change it.

But, I did let you know how I thought they could change that for future shows. . . :thumbup:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Well, I do respect the loyalty of NEI's fans. . .even when wrong! :laughing:

The fact of the matter is no one is going to change their stance on this. . .the reality is they finished 11th in movement vocab. My posts are telling you why. . .and please stop making the judge an escape goat. You can argue it all you want. . .but the 11 will be there forever! No amount of clinicians or compliments can change it.

But, I did let you know how I thought they could change that for future shows. . . :thumbup:

What's an escape goat? Some sort of get away vehicle when you rob a farm?

What's an escape goat? Some sort of get away vehicle when you rob a farm?

typing too fast....it's fixed, but one could argue that perhaps it is a vehicle to rob a farm? Who knows. . .but you'll be replying to a lot of my posts it you want to point out grammatical and spelling issues. . :laughing:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay