NORTHEAST INDEPENDENT!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I do respect the loyalty of NEI's fans. . .even when wrong! :laughing:

The fact of the matter is no one is going to change their stance on this. . .the reality is they finished 11th in movement vocab. My posts are telling you why. . .and please stop making the judge an scapegoat. You can argue it all you want. . .but the 11 will be there forever! No amount of clinicians or compliments can change it.

But, I did let you know how I thought they could change that for future shows. . . :thumbup:

Color Guard fans kill me sometimes. If we want to look at indoor guard as art, then we must also realize that art is subjective. Can one really put works of art in numerical order of greatness? Just look at Odyssey's 1987 show. It was scored low and placed 5th and now they look at is as greatness. Were the judges wrong then or are they wrong now?

NEI is a great guard and I see them winning in the near future and possibly medaling this year. People are going to have their favorites and the crowd will always have it's favorites and most times it doesn't mirror what the judges think.

WGI is VERY political and they have their favorites. Sometimes it's more about whose show it is than it is about the guard.

Color Guard fans kill me sometimes.

WGI is VERY political and they have their favorites. Sometimes it's more about whose show it is than it is about the guard.

SAY AMEN SOMEBODY! :laughing:

often it's a matter of who's name is attached to a program that is the deciding factor! :thumbup:

Relax people.

Northeast Independent has a very successful history in WGI - having been through the ranks of Open and World class and we hope they continue their streak for years to come.

As far as WGI being "political" and attacking people's spelling - take all of that to private messages.

You feel that their show last year lacked intellectually? Did you see the same show I did? I felt it was incredibly intellectual. Maybe it wasn't as intellectual as... snow, or... batons, but it was an incredible show, full of emotion and a current topic as well.

Back to the movement, people keep saying it's bad, it's poor, blah blah blah, I think what really needs to be understood is, IT'S DIFFERENT. Because they aren't doing double turns like Pride, does not mean their movement is lacking. I thought their athletic movement was very stylistic of the show they were perfoming. The show was about war, I personally loved seeing stiff rigid bodies being thrown around because IT MAKES SENSE, and thank GOD there was someone there to break up the classical music and movement. I would hate to watch a show about war and see nothing but ballet turns. Nei in their earlier years had more "classical" movement and nobody had a problem with it then. Now they try something out of the box and get ripped apart for it? Gag, get over it. They were incredible. I would LOVE to see you write a show about war and see it come anywhere close to what they accomplished.

NORTHEAST YOU ROCK!

1) I have ALWAYS had a problem with NEIs movement, ALWAYS. So have other people I've known, this is nothing new in my circle of dancers and guard friends, don't just assume it was this year. 2004 and 2003 were a little better but since then and since they've placed higher it's been horrendous movement in my eyes.

2) We are talking about the movement, not the show design, it is such a 'scapegoat to say "oh I bet you can't do this and that" but I know for one thing, I can dance better......

The movement philosophy of WGI as I understand it is: Movement is not about ballet or whatever other style they utilize, it is about the uniformity of the way the kids move.

All of them looked uniform stiff (which if you enjoyed it, okay, that's fine) but stiffness isn't movement so the score was correct.

And the technique of dance they did use was atrocious with that stiffness....and you can tell:

Their leaps or any other form of dancing they did in any of their shows are not kinesiologically correct, you can tell by the way the leaps are initiated, the flexion in the acetabulum, the plies in the landing and the extension from the hierarchy of the leg, the jamming of the hip sockets and so on. I could go on forever about how if they are going to use those elements then they need to release the stiffness in the upper body to release the breath to do it. Until then the rigid upper bodies contribute to the poor technique they chose to utilize.

1) I have ALWAYS had a problem with NEIs movement, ALWAYS. So have other people I've known, this is nothing new in my circle of dancers and guard friends, don't just assume it was this year. 2004 and 2003 were a little better but since then and since they've placed higher it's been horrendous movement in my eyes.

2) We are talking about the movement, not the show design, it is such a 'scapegoat to say "oh I bet you can't do this and that" but I know for one thing, I can dance better......

The movement philosophy of WGI as I understand it is: Movement is not about ballet or whatever other style they utilize, it is about the uniformity of the way the kids move.

All of them looked uniform stiff (which if you enjoyed it, okay, that's fine) but stiffness isn't movement so the score was correct.

And the technique of dance they did use was atrocious with that stiffness....and you can tell:

Their leaps or any other form of dancing they did in any of their shows are not kinesiologically correct, you can tell by the way the leaps are initiated, the flexion in the acetabulum, the plies in the landing and the extension from the hierarchy of the leg, the jamming of the hip sockets and so on. I could go on forever about how if they are going to use those elements then they need to release the stiffness in the upper body to release the breath to do it. Until then the rigid upper bodies contribute to the poor technique they chose to utilize.

Hooray. . .you took the words right out of my mouth!

I love what NEI is doing from an equipment and effect standpoint. . .but movement right now is their Achilles. If they want to medal, they have to fix it. Again, my advice is to tap into a more contemporary/modern style of dance.

Musical Spinner and I must have been separated at birth! ;-)

Hooray. . .you took the words right out of my mouth!

Musical Spinner and I must have been separated at birth! ;-)

Hahaha, maybe we were!

I know BD and Bluecoats have multiple combinations with varying styles at their auditions which everyone should do. MODERN, my god, everyone should be using modern or contemporary at least for a a warm up to enhance the way the body can effectively and efficiently move. I've seen modern in The Knights 2005 (X=Love) in Open Class and I almost needed a new pair of jazz pants. They had better movement than some world class finalists to me.

Hopefully guards will utilize a more modern/contemporary approach after seeing Mia Michaels but my concern is are the judges trained to see what is right in front of them and score it when using different approaches....

So far they've been doing okay, but lets see what happens if the guard embrace a new way of moving.

Don't worry BD fan I am going to write out a blog series about movement from guard to dance to explain a more dancers view to simplify some concepts that might prove useful or at least informational to non-dance savvy guardies. It might eventually get pretty technical, but hey, dance is not easily explained.