DCI "Places ESPN2 Broadcoast on Hiatus"

...as operating expenses continue to rise for the corps, we are forced to look at the core activities and needs of our organization. After exhausting every other option, we have decided that it is in the best interests of the member corps to reallocate the tremendous resources dedicated to the television program to sustain other initiatives that will ultimately improve our collective prospects.

full article

Translation - we need money.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out Here

:ph34r:

discuss.

Interesting to say the least!! :ph34r:

I can see where they're coming from, especially with the focus on marketing towards band kids via clinics / live events. Better to make audio/visual money off of CD / DVD sales, webcasts and instant downloads, than to spend a giant chunk of budget on a product that doesn't fit either their recruiting or marketing strategies.

I'll still miss it, though.

Mike

wow, this sucks. i see the direction they're going, just feel that tv should be a part of it.

I think massively disappointing is a little more appropriate.

It's really an unfortunate testament to our activity that we would even suffer a blow like losing an occasional minor time slot on a second-rate cable station...

I blame the Bush administration and people who stop giving money because of amps :(.

Might be a good (necessary) biz decision now, but it calls into question the decision to transition over to ESPN in the first place.

Anyone have any knowledge of ESPN vs. PBS production costs and/or why PBS broadcasts: a. were abondoned; b. are no longer an option (at least currently)?

I always thought PBS and DCI was a perfect marriage... guess not.