A rich kid's sport

I think most corps financial problems can be tied directly to fuel costs and travel requirements of The Tour. Fuel prices, both diesel and gasoline, are now running around $3.00 per gallon. One year ago at this time, those prices were in the $2.40 range. How do you plan for a 25% increase or more in fuel? What price figure should a corps use for next summer? How much can one reasonably expect a person to pay to march drum corps? I think Regiment, Southwind, et.al., simply couldn't make the numbers work and couldn't risk going broke in week 6. It's a dreadful situation. I don't think matters are improved by expanding corps size to 150. Membership = transportation requirements = increased fuel costs. Some corps will be able to manage that. Most will be at a disadvantage. I don't think fuel price is just a short term bump in the economics of drum corps. I think most corps Boards of Directors are very concerned and feel a disquieting knot building in their stomachs when they think of '08. Nonetheless, I think drum corps will survive. I wish it could be less painful.

Read this in another thread and it got me thinking.... What will happen when membership fees (including gas, food etc...) become TOO expensive for the average kid? Will the corp. member number suffer or will there always be someone there to pick up that extra seat?

If this continues, I can see the possibility of DC not just measuring participants in terms of musical accomplishment, but financial as well. I know this is happening to a lesser extent already, but will it eventually become a "rich kid's" activity because of these changes or is this just a product of the ebb and flow of current economic situations? In most scenarios, once prices rise they never go back down. Does the same happen with non-profit? What will this do to DCI?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think DCI has been there for a few years now.

In 2006, the median household income was a little over $48,000. Spending $3000 (over 6% of household income) a year (especially for more than one consecutive year) is a lot.

World Class drum and bugle corps, for the most part, is already for the financially "above-average".

If this continues, I can see the possibility of DC not just measuring participants in terms of musical accomplishment, but financial as well.

Like you said, it's happening already. One of the first things I was asked in my audition was, "what's your money situation?" That's not a bad thing to ask, obviously, but it's sad that it has to be asked.

Yesterday I made a budget for myself for the rest of the year until everydays. It is only for plane tickets, tuition, and camp fees too. I looked up all my flights to every camp for the rest of the year. My total cost is roughly $4,200, without the extra money needed for tour supplies, gas to drive 2 hours to the airport, and other expenses. It's going to total before $4,600 and $5,000 depending if air fares increase. Mind you, I'm paying for this without any help.

Edited by Jofus

Although I agree that DC is expensive, i don't think it's strictly for the "privileged". I know plenty of people who march solely on sponsorships. Part of the experience is finding a means to your goal. These people pay for college, corps even indoor drum line all on their own and with sponsorships. Heck, I've even pan handled in the center of my town.

Well...I guess I can add a few more thousand dollars to my college loans :-\ But you know what? That's something I'd be willing to do, to march my ageout year.