A rich kid's sport

i don't think you get it. those who have chosen not to do it didn't just sit back and say, "golly jee that's a lot i think i'll just sit on my thumbs"

for many it's just not an option.

it was mentioned on the first page of this topic that it's not only the money that it costs but the money lost by not working the summer. something i think you're missing here.

To be fair, the cost of not working the summer hasn't changed in 20 years.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Edited by CuriousMe

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could never afford to march corps now a days.

Marching my ageout year was financially a terrible idea for me, but I accepted the consequences because I wanted the closure and I wanted to perform on the field one last time.

It took me years to recover from that...and now...with corps fees even higher...I dont think I could even fathom finding a way to make it work if I were young enough to march this summer.

The 3rd summer I marched...my corps Division I fees were about $700...4 years later (my age out year) they were $1300!!!!

The relative cost of drum corps is a steal! But if you dont have $3000....you dont have it!

Corps need money to run...but it would sure help future kids if it were funneling in from additional sources to help keep fees down.

This is becoming a rich kid's activity...but I'm sure there's a solution or model that the corps can come up with to keep fees reasonable for at least the average potential new member...

I know, that given the finances of my mother and myself brought forward to today, I would not be able to march at all.

Most of the expeditures are touring related. Big bucks anyway you slice the pie. Spartans and Surf going World? Why not. It would probably cost them just as much if they stayed Open.

Okay... so what i am getting is that my previous assumption is right.... (please correct me if i am wrong)

DCI is becoming too elite, this HAS to have a negative effect on talent! or am i wrong here?

Also, is this just something that current and future members just need to accept and adjust to or are there PLAUSIBLE, SIMPLE solution? OR Does every avenue of improvement involve overhauling DCI as a coorperation? What i guess i am asking is, what is in the power of the BoD of the individual Corp. to change?

Good luck. But try telling yourself that after touring for a year. Oh, the debt.

Truth.

To be fair, the cost of not working the summer, hasn't changed in 20 years.

Peace,

CuriousMe

a paid internship and a foot into your career of choice, that you are now behind many other people in the line b/c you haven't done an internship?

... possibly not only the money that you would've made while marching, but money for years to come also.

a paid internship and a foot into your career of choice, that you are now behind many other people in the line b/c you haven't done an internship?

... possibly not only the money that you would've made while marching, but money for years to come also.

No dispute about any of that....I was just mentioning that while drum corps is definitely more expensive than it ever was.....the cost of not working over the summer hasn't changed (believe it or not, we even had internship opportunities back in the stone age of the 80's ;) ).

Peace,

Curious Me

I am going to further play devil's advocate... maybe the corps that are charging that much do because they *can*?

I would imagine that Cavies/Cadets/BD/PR would still fill up if tuition was $5000/year.

I personally believe that this is what needs to be adjusted for corps to fill -- make membership cheaper. Imagine for a moment that marching at... oh... let's say Cascades... was now $0. Do you believe they'd fill? With quality? Oh you better believe it. Instead, corps keep focusing on bigger staff paychecks to the "names", and buying more brass and uniforms. Knowing the strain it takes, it would be very interesting for corps that aren't filling to go after kids for less money. It's sort of like athlete salaries in reverse -- if it's cheap, and roughly the same experience, a lot of kids might go towards a corps that is willing to let them in on talent alone...

Imagine for a moment that Mandarins was free to join. Or Pioneer. Or any corps for that matter. I think there would be some pull.

But for the top groups, well, ballplayers take paycuts to be Yankees sometimes...