Indianapolis

Anybody who approves of hating at a drum corps show should probably stay home. (based off your signature below your posts) There's so much hate in the world. People get killed over hate avery day. What a pointless shame.

do you hate me for my sig?

how did you get that I approve or disapprove of anything?

I’m guessing you don’t even know my sig line is a direct quote from a pro-sports star, nor what the tone is?

I know who the haters are, the ones that go out of their way to throw shade and then tell you there are not haters, usually they end their posts with

Peace or the more generic Peace –Out

Its called projection

and I don't hate you, don't really love you either

have a nice day though

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got to agree with the OP about how Indy has really come around. Although I live in Indiana, I'm FAR closer to Chicago and thus rarely get to the city except for the big pageantry events. Over the years, I've been amazed at how the city has changed for the better and the rate at which it is doing so. Just look around the downtown skyline and count the construction cranes...something is happening there.

Even though some of what I say is suspect because I write for DCI, I truly believe this is a great move for the activity. Once people are in town, they're usually inside the stadium as someone has already pointed out. Someone last year was telling me they didn't like the idea of going to the same city each year because they use DCI Worlds as a vacation and they want vacation stuff to do. I asked them about their trip to Madison, if they went to Wisconsin Dells or House on the Rock, the number one and two tourist destinations in the state of Wisconsin. They had NEVER been to either. I asked them what they did while they were in Madison and they replied they went to corps rehearsals, to which I asked, "You can't do that in Indy?"

I believe that once people see the excitement generated at DCI Worlds, they will have a hard time waiting to come back.

I don’t like it and I’ve been there a ton of times. I generally find Hoosiers to be unwelcoming and rather stand offish. And since I was in college in the 80s, Indy has been vying for the amateur spots capital of the nation and has yet to produce – even though they bought top notch new facilities (that waveless pool is awesome and will take seconds off your time) and tried to lure competitions with competitive packages they always end up going elsewhere. Why? You’ll see and get it, probably around year 3. And that drive down the death trap I-65, its almost better to go down 55 and cut over on 74 even if it takes an extra hour

I like checking out different cities that DCI visited, I would have never know how great Kansas City was and I think I’m one of the few that fell in love with Jackson. Hated the Florida shows though – Dallas was cool, loved walking around the old fair grounds. Madison always great just because its so easy and I know a bunch of peeps there - but can't think of the last time I touristed it

We must be talking about different Indianas. I've always felt welcomed and never felt my fellow Hoosiers (I'm Illinoisian by birth, Hoosier by choice) were stand-offish.

As for the amateur sports thing, what do you mean they haven't produced? They've produced in building multitudes of facilities for training, attracting amateur athletes from around the world, AND the headquarters of the NCAA. Many NCAA finals events have been held there and HAVE come back.

In music, the Percussive Arts Society has gone there and their convention will be there three years in-a-row starting in 2009, then one year out and then two year in-a-row for the foreseeable future. (It's three years in-a-row at first so they can celebrate PAS's 50th anniversary in the city.)

As for I-65, I doubt it's any more of a deathtrap than any other Interstate. It's not particularly thrilling to drive from Chicagoland, but it's convenient.

I don't understand all the hating on Indy, a vibrant and growing city with more and more culture every year, a hotbed of scholastic music activities in the surrounding schools, a growing tourist and convention destination and an affordable place to live. The Indianapolis Convention and Tourist people have done their homework and made a convincing case. Let's give them a chance to show us what Indy can do for us.

i simply just dont really like the midwest, personally. chicago is a key exception. my main reasoning behind disapproving of the indy move is variety.

I'm glad you like Indy, really

I don't

Maybe its unfair, maybe I compare it to Chicago and it can’t

Hoosiers don’t really think the same as us Great Lakers, they act a bit differently too

*cue dueling banjoes w/ a bobby knight ‘motivational’ speech over it*

– Indy is closer to the Ohio River valley cultural than the Great Lakes culture and all that goes with it (yes, just generalization)

I-65 is thee worst interstate around, it feels more like a state highway with semis speeding by blowing you off the road – and blowing is what I mean – being a north south road with just farms on each side, on a windy day, you feel your car shake and have to drive against the wind….more so when a semis hauls past and those tiny shoulders add zero comfort

Try 74 to 55 and get back to me and that ignores the amenities along the way

I'm glad you like Indy, really

I don't

Maybe its unfair, maybe I compare it to Chicago and it can’t

Hoosiers don’t really think the same as us Great Lakers, they act a bit differently too

*cue dueling banjoes w/ a bobby knight ‘motivational’ speech over it*

I'm a Hoosier and I live less than four miles from Lake Michigan. :)

– Indy is closer to the Ohio River valley cultural than the Great Lakes culture and all that goes with it (yes, just generalization)

Anyone from Cincinnati or Pittsburgh want to handle that?

I-65 is thee worst interstate around, it feels more like a state highway with semis speeding by blowing you off the road – and blowing is what I mean – being a north south road with just farms on each side, on a windy day, you feel your car shake and have to drive against the wind….more so when a semis hauls past and those tiny shoulders add zero comfort

Try 74 to 55 and get back to me and that ignores the amenities along the way

Some of the worst times I've had with wind and blowing snow have been on I-80 through Illinois, an east-west route.

Sorry you might not be coming to Indy. I can recommend a great pizza place on the northwest side.

I disagree with you here. I go to allentown every year, not for what the city has to offer but for the show. And when I go to finals it's for the show not the city, although I did go to Denver just because it was denver and I wanted to go there. If you are going to see drum corps who cares where it is, you're gonna spend most of the day in the stadium anyway so it could be any city as far as I'm concerned.

I would call anyone who travels to another city and spends 3 days + watching drum corps a drum corps nut (by no means a derogatory term).

A drum corps nut will go if DCI is in Orlando or Phoenix or Salt Lake City or ........

I consider myself a casual fan, I like going to shows but one night is plenty. If I'm going to travel across the country to another city I like to check out the

sites, the museums, what makes the city unique, etc. My only point is that I believe to attract casual drum corps fans (i.e. people like me or spouses of

old drum corps members/fans who have a say into where the summer's vacation is going to be) a big part of it is what the area has to offer. I think Denver, Boston, Madison, Pasadena & Indy are all fine examples of destination cities for a vacation that one would go to - but not 10 years in a row.

Truthfully Indy is nice and close for me and I'm sure I'll go once or twice in the next decade.