Sad News

Fastone

I had the extreme Joy of marching with Konga, he was a great man. Everytime I would see him at a show he would always make me laugh. He will surely be missed.

Konga give Butch and winky a big hello.

May god watch over you in the hereafter.

I received this via text message this morning, and this is the first chance I've gotten to a computer.

Konga kept me from going crazy during the 2002 season, and for that I'm forever grateful.

RIP Konga - I'll miss you, along with the rest of the Skyliner family. Sean, take good care of him, will ya?

Edited by MikeM

:worthy::laugh::laugh::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

n503445919_65682_8665.jpg

Drum Corps will NEVER be the same... God be with you...

Edited by Skydrummer9

Although our time at Sky was short, Konga was the greatest example of what a Skyliner was/is. They have that tough outer image but inside are the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Sky has had a rough year. Please God, let this be enough and allow the ones that have been lost to help rebuild such a legendary group.

On behalf of Renaissance Indoor Percussion and the Harris family, more thoughts and prayers are heading to Sky and his family.

We have a special memory of walking our children and two of our members of our drumline around the warmup area of the Hbg show two years ago. They got to meet Konga and his colorful way of speaking, especially when he was remembering some now funny, but then tough moments. The look on our members faces was priceless. They were given a true gift that night. We'll have to remind them of that.

Although our time at Sky was short, Konga was the greatest example of what a Skyliner was/is. They have that tough outer image but inside are the sweetest people you'll ever meet. Sky has had a rough year. Please God, let this be enough and allow the ones that have been lost to help rebuild such a legendary group.

On behalf of Renaissance Indoor Percussion and the Harris family, more thoughts and prayers are heading to Sky and his family.

We have a special memory of walking our children and two of our members of our drumline around the warmup area of the Hbg show two years ago. They got to meet Konga and his colorful way of speaking, especially when he was remembering some now funny, but then tough moments. The look on our members faces was priceless. They were given a true gift that night. We'll have to remind them of that.

Are the arrangements in place yet?

Yeah this is definitely a shocker. I ran into him at the Bayonne Bridgemen show back in mid-June and as always that guy put a smile on my face after talking with him. He was someone who would always say hi no matter what corps you are with. I will definitely miss him and I will keep him and family in my thoughts and my prayers.

Drum Corps has lost a great person!

Rest In Peace my friend!

Edited by BushSnare4ever

First of all, my heartfelt sympthy goes to the Richardson family, and of course Konga's many drum corps families.

Like Frank Nash wrote in his posting, when you hear such sad news, you are at a loss for words. Especially since we saw Konga recently, and he was his true self - a passionate Skyliner, charming gentleman, long time friend, drum corps enthusiast, teller of a multitide of jokes and comebacks. Then the many memories of Konga come flooding back, and the feeling of loss becomes so much greater.

I met Konga back in the winter of 1979 when I first joined the Skyliners. He was always warm and welcoming, funny, interested in what people had to say and wanting to know how the family was doing. He could share drum corps war stories or share family pictures just as easily. As a competitor he was fierce, focused, and never let anyone forget that we were the New York Skyliners, and we had come to play, and win. He wore his New York Skyliners heart on his sleeve, and was always proud to do so. I was honored to march with him in the horn line, and then march with him as Assistant Drum Major and then Drum Major. When the field corps needed him to return to the podium in 2002, he did so with panache. In addition to drum majoring at the Skyliners, Konga also worked hard teaching drill. There is not enough space to recall all the memories here. These are just a few.

Konga, you are joining many New York Skyliners in the best drum corps in the sky. Rest in peace.

The New York Skyliners once again, too soon, join our hands in sorrow to make our circle complete.

Are the arrangements in place yet?

Here they are. I just got them.

Again we are going to gather to say farewell to one of our own. Konga passed away on Wednesday morning of massive cardiac arrest. He was one of a kind, a true gentleman and Skyliner and I am proud to call him a friend. The information below is from Speedy West, who is acting as liaison for the Richardson family.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord. May he rest in peace.

The wake for Konga will be one day only on Tuesday, NOVEMBER 27 from 2PM until 8PM, with no dinner break, at the Lawrence H. Woodward Funeral Home at 1 Troy Ave, Brooklyn, NY; phone number is 718 - 493 - 8120. The services will be held the next day, Wednesday, November 28 at 12 noon at the funeral home.

Directions are Bklyn Queens Expressway to Brooklyn, exit at ATLANTIC AVE (exit 27). Head into Brooklyn on Atlantic approximately 3.4 miles to Troy Ave. When you see the sign for Albany Ave under the tracks, get into the left turn lane and make a left onto Troy. There is a parking lot for the funeral home there. It is the same Home that held George's service also.

I too have known "Konga" since the late sixties. We actually met through mutual friends who weren't in Drum Corps but knew we were. They couldn't wait to introduce us and we've been friends ever since. It just won't be the same without him at shows and not seeing his smiling face.

RIP my friend.

Edited by uponatime