George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Then I will restate my question. Who are you to define the "true nature" of drum corps?

Someone who has been on both sides. Which makes me more qualified to say what drum corps is really all about than someone who has never marched.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone who has been on both sides. Which makes me more qualified to say what drum corps is really all about than someone who has never marched.

With the total membership of DCP alone, you could get many versions of the "true nature" of drum corps. I've been in and around drum corps and marching band as a member and instructor for nearly 40 years. Does that make my opinion more valid than yours?

Here's another question, then. Are you interested in maintaining or growing drum corps? Assuming you respond in the positive, why would you actively try to dissuade Hrothgar, or any other aspiring corps member, by disqualifying their opinion? Talk about rolling up the welcome mat.

Here, let's look at the definition of opinion just for fun...

Main Entry: opin·ion

Function: noun

Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari

1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL , ESTEEM

2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view

3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

- opin·ioned/-y&nd/ adjective

synonyms OPINION , VIEW , BELIEF , CONVICTION , PERSUASION , SENTIMENT mean a judgment one holds as true. OPINION implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute <each expert seemed to have a different opinion>. VIEW suggests a subjective opinion <very assertive in stating his views>. BELIEF implies often deliberate acceptance and intellectual assent <a firm belief in her party's platform>. CONVICTION applies to a firmly and seriously held belief <the conviction that animal life is as sacred as human>. PERSUASION suggests a belief grounded on assurance (as by evidence) of its truth <was of the persuasion that everything changes>. SENTIMENT suggests a settled opinion reflective of one's feelings <her feminist sentiments are well-known>.

Unless you hold 3a as the only "true nature" of an opinion, then anyone who posts here can have an opinion. I can't speak directly for Hrothgar, but it seems he's only ever posted an opinion. Perhaps he can qualify it for us.

Further, consider the synonyms. More fuel for anyone to hold an opinion.

Garry in Vegas

Fans aren't watching, and corps are still folding, and it's not just Div2-3 anymore. So what now?

Clearly the presumption is that more people watch and enjoy marching band, so the more like marching band they can make it then the more success they will have. If they just allow electronics and woodwinds, drum corps will be all over TV, invited to all the big parades, and a major network will be lining up to broadcast championships LIVE! Plus, all the college music professors will be extremely pleased and sing the praises of DCI to all of their students.

Why all of drum corps has to change into summer marching band instead of creating another class called "Summer Band"/"Unlimited" or something like that is beyond me. Then we could really see if more people enjoy that experiment and are drawn to it. This class would have its own championship, just like Open Class does/will, and we can see if the masses are just waiting to explode with joy for this concept. Those of you in support of this concept should be ready and willing to launch it as a test concept and see how well it stands on its own before forcing it upon everyone else.

With the total membership of DCP alone, you could get many versions of the "true nature" of drum corps. I've been in and around drum corps and marching band as a member and instructor for nearly 40 years. Does that make my opinion more valid than yours?

Here's another question, then. Are you interested in maintaining or growing drum corps? Assuming you respond in the positive, why would you actively try to dissuade Hrothgar, or any other aspiring corps member, by disqualifying their opinion? Talk about rolling up the welcome mat.

Here, let's look at the definition of opinion just for fun...

Main Entry: opin·ion

Function: noun

Pronunciation: &-'pin-y&n

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin opinion-, opinio, from opinari

1 a : a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b : APPROVAL , ESTEEM

2 a : belief stronger than impression and less strong than positive knowledge b : a generally held view

3 a : a formal expression of judgment or advice by an expert b : the formal expression (as by a judge, court, or referee) of the legal reasons and principles upon which a legal decision is based

- opin·ioned/-y&nd/ adjective

synonyms OPINION , VIEW , BELIEF , CONVICTION , PERSUASION , SENTIMENT mean a judgment one holds as true. OPINION implies a conclusion thought out yet open to dispute <each expert seemed to have a different opinion>. VIEW suggests a subjective opinion <very assertive in stating his views>. BELIEF implies often deliberate acceptance and intellectual assent <a firm belief in her party's platform>. CONVICTION applies to a firmly and seriously held belief <the conviction that animal life is as sacred as human>. PERSUASION suggests a belief grounded on assurance (as by evidence) of its truth <was of the persuasion that everything changes>. SENTIMENT suggests a settled opinion reflective of one's feelings <her feminist sentiments are well-known>.

Unless you hold 3a as the only "true nature" of an opinion, then anyone who posts here can have an opinion. I can't speak directly for Hrothgar, but it seems he's only ever posted an opinion. Perhaps he can qualify it for us.

Further, consider the synonyms. More fuel for anyone to hold an opinion.

Garry in Vegas

Oh god here we go again.

DCP, champion of the infallible opinion.

Opinions can be wrong and not every opinion is as valid as every other opinion.

You are using a very small number of isolated incidents to say that the level of violence is much more extreme.

Very few kids will ever be involved in a school shooting or anything similar. They are the exception, not the rule.

Edit: Also, if you think school shootings are something new then you are being extremely naive.

Sorry folks,

The "isolated incidents" are not so isolated. If you believe that, then you are the one being naive and you apparently don't watch or read the news.

No, school shootings are nothing new and always tragic. However, they were extremely rare until relatively recent times. I'll say perhaps they are a little bit more infrequent now. Maybe because of the metal detectors at the entrances to our non violent schools today.

Sorry again.

Your reply does kind of indicate why you may think things are going along just fine in DCI.

Edited by Martybucs

The PRODUCT is NOT about the INSTRUMENTATION. Let me say IT AGAIN. THE PRODUCT IS NOT THE INSTRUMENTATION. The product is a summer tour experience, and that's why I pay thousands into this activity and you pay $20 for a show. ...

Ummm... OK you're talking about a different product. Drum Corps yields two products: A product for the members (the experience you speak of), and a product for the fans (the instrumentation, the musical and visual spectacle that it is). It seems like you're ignoring the fans' product and focusing completely on the members' product. You can't do that. Without one, you can't have the other.

Ummm... OK you're talking about a different product. Drum Corps yields two products: A product for the members (the experience you speak of), and a product for the fans (the instrumentation, the musical and visual spectacle that it is). It seems like you're ignoring the fans' product and focusing completely on the members' product. You can't do that. Without one, you can't have the other.

Maybe they only care about the experience of the member. If so, I hope they are prepared to pay a whole lot more for that experience. The money missing from the budget as both show money and merchandise sales begin to dry up will have to come from somewhere.

Edited by Tekneek

Oh god here we go again.

DCP, champion of the infallible opinion.

Opinions can be wrong and not every opinion is as valid as every other opinion.

Oh god here we go again.

DCP, champion of the infallible poster.

I can't back up my argument, so I'll just dismiss yours.

Garry in Vegas

PS Your opinion is wrong! :P

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Sorry folks,

The "isolated incidents" are not so isolated. If you believe that, then you are the one being naive and you apparently don't watch or read the news.

No, school shootings are nothing new and always tragic. However, they were extremely rare until relatively recent times. I'll say perhaps they are a little bit more infrequent now. Maybe because of the metal detectors at the entrances to our non violent schools today.

Sorry again.

Your reply does kind of indicate why you may think things are going along just fine in DCI.

School shootings are still not very common. Are they more common than they used to be? Yeah, probably.

However, students in the United States had about a 0.000074% chance of being killed in a school shooting in 2007, and those statistics are skewed because of the unusually large amount of deaths at Virginia Tech. Excluding those 33 people being killed in a school shooting is approximately equal with being struck by lightning in terms of number of people who died from it in 2007.

I would call that isolated incidents.

A VERY small percentage of students will ever have to deal with a school shooting.

Oh god here we go again.

DCP, champion of the infallible poster.

I can't back up my argument, so I'll just dismiss yours.

Garry in Vegas

PS Your opinion is wrong! :P

I didn't dismiss your argument.

The reason I think that Hrothgar's opinion on what drum corps is about isn't valid is because he hasn't experienced it from both sides.

If anything people who are the sacred defenders of the holy opinion are "champions of the infallible poster"

Nobody can ever be wrong because it's all opinions. If you disagree then OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU INFRINGING ON MY RIGHT TO HAVE AN OPINION!?!?!?!?!?